Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211540 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #525 on: May 12, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
Here Choquette season is peak avocado season. Funny, when I first moved here from Hassland (CA), before we bought our land and planting fruit trees became a thing - the thing - for me, I thought I was in avocado heaven specifically because of the Choquette! Hass to me were always oily/slimy and turned brown too fast, and I hadn't tried any of the other possibly superior CA varieties. To me Choquette was avocado butter, creamy but not oily, and I went from an avocado liker to a I must find a way to grow avocado year-round avocado addict. Imagine my surprise to come to this forum and find that Choquette is not only considered a watercado, but from what I can tell the most dissed watercado of them all! Makes me think that what Carlos says about terroir affecting fruit quality could be playing a part between Venezuelan and Florida grown Choquette. I like Catalina too though it's a bit sweet, and a good Pollack is good but they have a tendency towards quality issues here - we'll have to see in a few years how our own turn out. The avocado I've found to be a true WATERcado, and tasteless, rubbery and/or fibrous to boot, is Russell - for the life of me I can't figure out why people chose to propagate it.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 14, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »
I have never tasted a 'Choquette' avocado, but from what I've heard from you (Zafra) and others, I'm quite certain that I'll like it.

I'm hoping to harvest some fruit in 2 years. Right now, my just planted 'Choquette' avocado tree is 2.5 feet tall. It came with a tiny avocado fruit on it, which I'll likely end up removing to promote root development.

My main concern with this 'Choquette' avocado tree is that I suspect that it is an air-layer propagation, and that its future health, and fruit production, will suffer from nematodes... munching on its roots.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 16, 2017, 09:27:34 PM »
Florida W.A.V. Tree List for Avocado 24/7 in Florida
(From page 18 of this Thread)

1 Janurary: 'Monroe'
2 February: 'Lula,' 'Don-Carlitos' (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?), 'Kampong'
3 March: 'Don-Carlitos' (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?), 'Kampong'
4 April: 'Kampong'
5 May: 'Kampong'
6 June: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds' (per CTMIAMI: Doni & Simmonds taste better in July)
7 July: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds,' 'Catalina'
8 August: 'Catalina,' 'Simmonds,' 'Miguel'
9 September: 'Catalina,' 'Bacon,' 'Miguel'
10 October: 'Hass,' 'Bacon'
11 November: 'Hass,' 'Oro-Negro'
12 December: 'Monroe,' 'Oro-Negro'

These are the 'Florida:24/7-Avocados' that I have in my yard (the ones in parenthesis are the ones that I'm hunting to get):

2 February: 'Lula,' ('Kampong')
3 March: ('Kampong')
4 April: ('Kampong')
5 May: ('Kampong')
8 August: 'Catalina,' 'Simmonds,'
9 September: 'Catalina,' ('Bacon,')
10 October: ('Bacon')
11 November: ('Oro-Negro')
12 December: 'Monroe,' ('Oro-Negro')

I've become convinced that 'Kampong' will not reliably produce ripe fruit every year for the months of April & May. The best chance to get those months covered with ripe avocado is with patented varieties, and/or by gene editing, say a 'Lula' or a 'Kampong' avocado variety, with the new gene editing technology known as CRISPR (gene editing is easy, the trick is to know where to edit); IMO.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:45:00 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 18, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
I was able to get the 'Oro Negro' avocado variety from Lara Farms Nursery, and it's already planted.

I still have to get the 'Bacon' and 'Kampong.'

These are the 'Florida:24/7-Avocados' that I have in my yard now (the ones in parenthesis are the ones that I'm hunting to get):

6 June: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds;' per CTMIAMI: Doni & Simmonds taste better in July
7 July: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds,'
8 August: 'Simmonds,'
9 September: ('Bacon,')
10 October: ('Bacon')
11 November: 'Oro-Negro'

I removed 'Catalina' from the List because I believe what I have instead is a 'Russell;' due to its elongated shape.

It'll be interesting to see how the avocado varieties ripen in real life when compared to the above List, which I'm calling the FL - Winter Avocado Void System (S.FL-WAVS).

I expect some ripening variation between real life and the FL-WAVS List above. IMO, the mainly responsible culprits for variations in fruit ripening periods are the Earth's orbit around the Sun, and the Sun itself. i.e. In the Middle Ages (fewer people & no carbon fuel emissions), there was a period of Global Warming. Afterwards, this was followed by a Little Ice Age. This change in global temperatures can only be attributed to the usual suspect, the Sun (and its temperature cycles).

Many thanks go to those who've contributed to the creation of the above list, and especially to the Administrators of this Forum who have made it all possible.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:27:56 PM by LEOOEL »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #529 on: May 18, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »
I grafted one recently. I have the pic on my for sale thread if your interested.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 18, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
Thank you very much for the offer. My situation is one where I have to find a 'Bacon' and a 'Kampong' of a specific size and shape. And, with all due respect, I don't want to trouble you as to why this has to be so. But, I'll check out your grafted avocado and let you know if anything.

I grafted one recently. I have the pic on my for sale thread if your interested.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 19, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »
The taste of Bacon in So. Florida is not worth growing. In my opinion
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 19, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
The taste of Bacon in So. Florida is not worth growing. In my opinion

Even in California, its home turf, Bacon is not one of the best, sort of the Cal version of "water-cados," very bland.

I've been told that Day is August/September, and Wurtz is October/November, so these might be better choices, both considered flavorful.  I have both (with Simmonds as my summer avocado, and Oro Negro late fall/winter), but they haven't fruited yet, so I can't confirm when they ripen.  (Excalibur has both--they do well in PB County, not sure about Dade.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:05:22 PM by johnb51 »
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »
I'm quite surprised about the thumbs down comments on the taste of the 'Bacon' by Carlos and John, thanks for the valuable info guys.

I will take another closer look at whether the 'Bacon' is the best choice for the indicated time period.

P.S.   There is currently a lot of commercial competition to have the ability to produce tasty avocados in the Off Season (which we are currently in right now; April-May), which include private/patented avocado varieties.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 23, 2017, 10:51:57 PM »
(*): I'm considering the 'Brogdon' avocado for my Miami-Dade area location. P.I.N. says that from Orlando, FL to New Orleans, LA, they produce ripe fruit from August to October. I would love to know what's its ripe fruit production period in Miami-Dade.

From what I've been able to gather, 'Brogdon' is not perfect, it's got a thin skin that clings to flesh when ripe. Yet, what I like most about it is its great qualities for making guacamole. I think I'm a bit jealous of the people that live between Orlando and New Orleans and have the 'Brogdon' avocado.

Florida W.A.V. Tree List for Avocado 24/7 in Florida
(From page 18 of this Thread)

2 February: 'Lula,' 'Don-Carlitos' (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?), 'Kampong'
3 March: 'Don-Carlitos' (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?), 'Kampong'
4 April: 'Kampong'
5 May: 'Kampong'
8 August: 'Catalina,' 'Simmonds,' 'Miguel,' 'Brogdon(*)'
9 September: 'Catalina,' 'Bacon,' 'Miguel,' 'Brogdon(*)'
10 October: 'Hass,' 'Bacon,' 'Brogdon(*)'
11 November: 'Hass,' 'Oro-Negro'

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2017, 01:23:52 AM »
'Brogdon' avocado variety: It's just great for making guacamole. P.I.N. says it bears ripe fruit in August, September and October.

Zands: On May 11, 2013, TFF Member Zands, mentioned on this Thread that his 'Brogdon' and 'Lula' was in suspended animation. It would be great to know about how Zands' 'Brogdon' is doing after 4 years, especially the fruit quality & production specs and which month(s) of the year. Zands is in Zone 10b, Zip Code 33321. I am also in Zone 10b, with a different Zip Code 33143, because of the similar temperature Zones, perhaps 'Brogdon' will behave the same at both locations.

Zands has a great knack for avocado fruit trees, IMO. He's the only TFF Member on this Thread that has mentioned that he has a 'Brogdon.' So, this has been a full circle for me, now I'm trying to follow in Zands footsteps and I may just end up getting the 'Brogdon' avocado too. But, it would be great if I could find out first, about the 'Brogdon' fruit quality & production behavior in the Miami-Dade area.

Zands also mentioned that he has a 'Lula' in suspended animation. I also have a 'Lula.' After it was replanted to full sun, it was also in suspended animation for about 1 year, but now it looks like it has taken off for the moon in vertical growth. I can't wait to taste 'Lula' avocado.

Carlos is the best with avocados, as everybody knows. He's mentioned previously that he obtained the 'Oro-Negro' avocado, and I always wondered why. Well, this has been a full circle for me also, as I've also recently obtained and planted an 'Oro-Negro.' According to P.I.N., this variety bears ripe fruit November to December. It has a reputation of being a great tasting avocado.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 24, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
I have a neighbor who has planted Brogdon so I'll definitely keep an eye on it.  Also, another neighbor planted Thomson Red (enormous Jamaican avocado) so I'll be watching that one, too.  In the future I anticipate a lot of fruit trading (and you can expect a full report of what ripens when).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:09:19 AM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #537 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
I usually buy ripe brogdons from Bender's Grove during the summer. Maybe starting in July.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 28, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
Went yesterday to Excalibur Nursery planning on getting the 'Brogdon.' I needed a fruit that had a ripening season of October - November.

The taste of the 'Brogdon' is legendary (IMO), so I thought I had a real winner here. But, its skin sticks to the flesh, and so does the paper of the seed, making guacamole preparation very annoying.

So, I was left with two other choices: 'Super-Hass' and 'Wurtz. I was shown on a List that both have a fruit ripening season of October - November.

Because I've previously have had bad experiences with 'Hass' (Carlos personally told me the same thing), I decided to ditch the 'Super-Hass' and go with the 'Wurtz.' It just goes to show, life has unexpected twists and turns, I never previously saw myself buying a 'Wurtz.'

If I remember correctly from previous research, the 'Wurtz' is a small - medium sized tree with quality fruit. I also remember that there was a specific issue or two with this variety, I hope it's nothing severe, I'm really looking forward to being totally satisfied with the 'Wurtz'.

I already planted the 'Wurtz' in the same location where the 'Hass' was (which was removed and destroyed with prejudice;)

P.S. I have nothing against the famous 'Hass,' except that it doesn't seem to do well in Florida. The 'Hass' has a reputation of being exceptional in California.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:05:38 AM by LEOOEL »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 29, 2017, 12:00:39 AM »
Hass IS exceptional in California (and in many places other than Florida--the industry is built upon it and its descendants)! :D  I hope Wurtz works out for you (and for me, too).  It's growing like crazy in my yard. :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:06:59 AM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 29, 2017, 07:59:46 AM »
(*): I'm considering the 'Brogdon' avocado for my Miami-Dade area location. P.I.N. says that from Orlando, FL to New Orleans, LA, they produce ripe fruit from August to October. I would love to know what's its ripe fruit production period in Miami-Dade.

I hated the Brogdon, but I'm picky when it comes to not only taste but characteristics of the tree and fruit.  Skin is super thin making it a big mess to peel (you can't spoon it out), big seed, fair tasting fruit, small fruit and the seed paper sticks to the seed cavity meat.  Cut it back to its Waldin rootstock and now have a beautiful Frankencado holding fruit from last year's grafting - Holiday, Sir Prize, Pinkerton and Ardith.

Same with the "Tex-Mex" varieties like Fantastic, Wilma/Brazos Belle, Joey.   Use them as rootstock.  They suck.

Didn't like Oro Negro for 3 years post planting but it's really hitting its stride now with nice creamy fruit.  (Can't compete with my Reed which is over the top).  Never is ready for me until late winter.  Here's a few in March.  Tree is loaded after a heavy blossom set this March.

Day's not bad and a good choice for those in cold areas of Florida.  Likes the heat, does well in the steamy Rio Grande Valley area.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:05:08 AM by Mark in Texas »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 03, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »
I like the fact that Wurtz is a popular choice for us fruit enthusiasts, so we have that also going for us.

I'm really looking forward to enjoying this healthy fruit from these different, quality avocado varieties.

Hass IS exceptional in California (and in many places other than Florida--the industry is built upon it and its descendants)! :D  I hope Wurtz works out for you (and for me, too).  It's growing like crazy in my yard. :)

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 03, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »
Thank you Mark, I'm now somewhat relieved after you've validated some of my avocado fruit tree variety choices - sighing with relief, thanks again.

P.S. I'll be looking into the varieties that have done well for you - Frankencado, Holiday, Sir-Prize, Pinkerton and Ardith, - to determine how well they do, and what their season is, in Florida.

I hated the Brogdon, but I'm picky when it comes to not only taste but characteristics of the tree and fruit.  Skin is super thin making it a big mess to peel (you can't spoon it out), big seed, fair tasting fruit, small fruit and the seed paper sticks to the seed cavity meat.  Cut it back to its Waldin rootstock and now have a beautiful Frankencado holding fruit from last year's grafting - Holiday, Sir Prize, Pinkerton and Ardith.

Same with the "Tex-Mex" varieties like Fantastic, Wilma/Brazos Belle, Joey.   Use them as rootstock.  They suck.

Didn't like Oro Negro for 3 years post planting but it's really hitting its stride now with nice creamy fruit.  (Can't compete with my Reed which is over the top).  Never is ready for me until late winter.  Here's a few in March.  Tree is loaded after a heavy blossom set this March.

Day's not bad and a good choice for those in cold areas of Florida.  Likes the heat, does well in the steamy Rio Grande Valley area.

Good luck!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 03, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
This is how my 24/7 Avocado-List for Zone 10b looks like now (the ones in parenthesis are the ones that I'm hunting to get):

6 June: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds;' per CTMIAMI: Doni & Simmonds taste better in July
7 July: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds,'
8 August: 'Simmonds,'
9 September: 'Wurtz,'
10 October: 'Wurtz,'
11 November: 'Oro-Negro'
12 December: 'Monroe,' 'Oro-Negro.'

P.S. Planning to graft a 'Kampong' onto a 'Lula' rootstock, and then plant it out of sight somewhere in the backyard; as the fruit exterior is reported to be somewhat unsightly.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:17:45 PM by LEOOEL »

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 14, 2017, 12:04:20 AM »
I have an Oro Negro for November and December and a Honey Kiss for July and August

What do you recommend for the rest of the year?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 24, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »
It's fascinating how different our seasons are across the country.  My Oro Negros are best in Feb. - March, same with Meyer lemons. 

Hell, just harvested my last Lemon Zest and here we are going on Oct.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:14:34 AM by Mark in Texas »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Re: Avocado 24/7 Thread
« Reply #546 on: September 18, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
Is the ‘Carla’ avocado the ‘Hass’ substitute?

It appears that the yearly period of absence of Avocados in South Florida has now been filled by the ‘Carla’ avocado.

A new species of avocado, the ‘Carla’ avocado, has been discovered in the Dominican Republic (in 1994).

“Called the Carla, It has since emerged as a rock star of the avocado world, combining the buttery richness of the popular but small California-grown ‘Hass’ with the prodigious size of Florida varieties.”

If the above statement holds to be true, could Florida’s second place in Avocado production in USA, one day overtake the USA’s number one producer (California)?

“If you want to sample a Carla, you’re out of luck until next year- their harvest runs between February and May.”

This Thread has truly tried to find an Avocado variety to fill a yearly void where there are no ripe avocados produced in South Florida. This ‘avocado-gap,’ or Florida/Gap-of-Avocado-Production (FL-GAP), which runs yearly from February to May, is now ‘filled’ by the Dominican Republic’s ‘Carla.’

Hopefully, it will soon be confirmed and legally determined whether the behavior of an established ‘Carla’ in South Florida will produce ripe Avocado fruit that will fill the gap of avocados during the FL-GAP.

Cheers!

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article218277040.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:44:33 PM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 18, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
I have an Oro Negro for November and December and a Honey Kiss for July and August

I would seriously consider the ‘Lula.’ It’s got crazy: consistent production; quality; seed (for propagation); tree holds fruit for ‘long time...’

P.S. crazy = Good to Great

Also, I’ve been personally really impressed with the production and quality of the ‘Simmonds’ and  ‘Donny.”

P.S. All of the above is not advice and is just in my opinion (IMO), and based on personal experiences with these avocado varieties at my location.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 19, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »

Wait a minute.  Oro Negro is an avocado, but Honey Kiss is a mango!
John

johnb51

• View Profile
Re: Avocado 24/7 Thread
« Reply #549 on: September 19, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »
Carla sounds pretty amazing.  Has anyone tried growing it in South Florida?  Or has anyone even purchased it in the supermarket?  Funny how they speak of "cloning," but later describe the grafting process, which isn't inserting DNA in a lab!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:39:01 PM by johnb51 »
John