Author Topic: Rooting a whole fig Tree?  (Read 2439 times)

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Rooting a whole fig Tree?
« on: July 18, 2016, 01:25:27 AM »
I had gopher take out a 3" trunk fig tree.   Since the roots are gone, I figured I would put it in a bucket of water and see what happens.  Has anyone tried this before, or have any tips for rooting a whole tree?  ...I know you can root small branches by putting them in water and changing the water daily.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting a whole fig Tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
I do not know if you could root a whole tree that way.  I've seen discussions of rooting large cuttings with up to 2", but those were true cuttings with the leaves removed.

Here's one discussion from Figs4Fun:
http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/rooting-extra-large-cuttings-6866589?highlight=root+large+cutting&pid=1282504611

It sounds like you are attempting an air layering.  What people on the F4F forum is circumscribe an inch of bark from a large limb, apply rooting hormone, then wrap this area in a bag or other container and fill this with soil.  The limb produces roots, they remove the rooted limb from the tree and plant it.  Some discussion here.

Best of luck!
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 01:36:32 AM »
Thanks, I'll try adding some root hormon, so far the bucket of water has delayed the drying, the bark is still green underneath... but no roots yet. 

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »
Sometimes figs will root into some old clothes you accidentally leave hanging on the tree, like at the crotch of the branch. Especially if the cloth is kept moist by rain or whatever.

apiosiscool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »
Did you take a few branches and root them separately as well? might be worth having a few backups in case you can't save the big tree.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:09:09 PM »
Rooting in water isn't the best. I'd try cuttings. Maybe you could even leave it in the water and then airlayer above and just hope the water keeps it alive until it has time to send some roots out on the airlayered area. I'd also remove all but a few leaves.