Author Topic: I just did a 3 1/2 minute video review on Fabric pots  (Read 7760 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: I just did a 3 1/2 minute video review on Fabric pots
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »
Thank you for sharing!
We should also post up favorite sources for ordering fabric pots  ;)

-Luke

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
Did you say that pot was under 2 Bucks? where are those sold?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »
The 10" X 8W pot for $1.69 comes from http://www.hydrowholesale.com/Nursery-Pots-and-Self-Watering-Planters/Nursery-Pots-and-Self-Watering-Planters.asp

A.M. Leonards is selling them now in bunbles of 25 and 50 all sizes the 2 gal for under 50 Cents the 3 gal for 60 cents. http://www.amleo.com/product.aspx?p=VP-RPXXXX

Does not pay to grow in plastic anymore.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »
Nicely done, Carlos ... thanks for sharing good info.
Tim

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:28:09 PM »
Thanks for the video Carlos.  :)
Alexi

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
Great demonstration video, Carlos.

Besides growing great root systems, fabric pots never crack, fold flat for easy storage when you aren't using them, and are very resistant to being blown over in strong winds.  This last feature is reason enough to use them in my windy climate!

They have a few downsides though.  Roots can and do grow right through the bottom of the pot if you put it on the ground and don't move it occasionally.  When it comes time to transplant, getting the old fabric pot off requires rolling it down just as Carlos demonstrated; this is fairly easy with smaller pots but becomes more of a chore with 5 gallon and larger sizes.  Having the pot on a pedestal of some sort really helps for that. 

Kevin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
don't they dry out faster? and require more waterings than normal black plastic pots?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »
don't they dry out faster? and require more waterings than normal black plastic pots?

Yes, they dry out a bit faster, but at least for me they do not seem to need more waterings than normal black plastic pots, at least in humid environments.  I suspect the extra-dense root system they create makes the plant more drought tolerant and more efficient with the water it is given.  In very windy, low humidity areas such as outside in Colorado, they do require more frequent watering than solid plastic pots, but they also seem to create much more drought- and wind-tolerant plants-- more than worth a little extra water in my opinion.

Kevin

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »
Great demonstration video, Carlos.

Besides growing great root systems, fabric pots never crack, fold flat for easy storage when you aren't using them, and are very resistant to being blown over in strong winds.  This last feature is reason enough to use them in my windy climate!

They have a few downsides though.  Roots can and do grow right through the bottom of the pot if you put it on the ground and don't move it occasionally.  When it comes time to transplant, getting the old fabric pot off requires rolling it down just as Carlos demonstrated; this is fairly easy with smaller pots but becomes more of a chore with 5 gallon and larger sizes.  Having the pot on a pedestal of some sort really helps for that. 

Kevin
Yes Kevin you do have to turn them. I do every week or in some I lay the pot on a paver.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
In my case because of the light soil mixture I use I have to water them more often. Specially the 1 and 2 gallons they dry very quickly.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »
I wonder if you could plant something like atemoya, in what would be considered a muckier soil, with hopes that the fabric's porosity would compensate for the poor drainage?

I'm all for using all sorts of containers.

Forgot to say thanks for posting the review!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 07:12:06 AM »
I wonder if you could plant something like atemoya, in what would be considered a muckier soil, with hopes that the fabric's porosity would compensate for the poor drainage?

I'm all for using all sorts of containers.

Forgot to say thanks for posting the review!
  John why would you want to use muckier soil?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 08:21:58 AM »
Excellent Video Carlos! I have many different fruit trees growing in fabric pots and they are excellent just as you demonstrated. They are available from 1 gal to 300 gal. The ones I use have a convenient velcro side that can be opened for easy removal and also to inspect the roots. Many fabric pots on the market. Some are made in China. I like the American made ones!

You can see some on my site: http://www.pepesplants.com

"Pepe"

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »
Pepe where do you get the ones with velcro?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for sharing...your vids are great...keep them coming ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 12:21:30 AM »
Pepe where do you get the ones with velcro?

Here are a few photos and a side by side comparison with two Violet de Bordeaux Fig Trees in 7 gal containers.
The one on the left is in a plastic pot and the other in a fabric pot with velcro side. Both trees started from 1 gal trees about one year old. They both had the same soil mix (Heavy Perlite in peat and wood chips etc.) Both have Florikan 13-13-13 in the soil.

The fig in the fabric bag is taller by about six inches and the caliper is about twice as thick.

I was actually surprised to see the results because figs like being root bound according to all the info posted and generally accepted as fact.

When using fabric be sure to place the fabric container on a hard surface or the tap root will work into the soil. Side roots are air pruned and your trees love it. So far it looks like the trees can stay in the fabric bags much longer than in a hard surface container.
Roots stay cooler also. For more info: http://www.pepsplants.com 8)

PS. I can pick up the fig by the trunk in the fabric bag and it is well rooted even though the picture does not show it to be well rooted.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:26:38 AM by ggpalms »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »
I've never used cloth pots but they look good. I wouldn't jump to conclusions too fast though Pepe just because of 2 plants. If you grow 2 plants in the same type of container also one can be bigger by six inches. You would need to make the experiment with a much larger number of plants to demonstrate your point.
Oscar

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
Okay, I agree. Let me see what other example photos I can post.
For the most part the fabric seems to make a positive difference.
I see this happen with other fruit trees when compared to plastic or any hard container.
The fabric containers I use are more durable and cost more than most others on the market.

Will post more results as time passes.

Peace,

"Pepe" 8)

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I wanted to share some photos. Kevin is a Miracle Fruit FANATIC! and has some amazing specimens growing in his basement. He's been kind enough to share two plants with us, one of which had been growing in a 1gal fabric pot and was ready to be potted up. I just got done potting it into a 3gal fabric pot and wanted share the results of growing this plant in a fabric pot.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just look at that root ball. Completely filled with roots and no stranglers.  I am completely sold on fabric pots. Thankfully I had already ordered 20 1gal, 10 2gal and 10 3 gal fabric pots that I started to experiment with.

Enjoy!

-Luke

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I wanted to share some photos. Kevin is a Miracle Fruit FANATIC! and has some amazing specimens growing in his basement. He's been kind enough to share two plants with us, one of which had been growing in a 1gal fabric pot and was ready to be potted up. I just got done potting it into a 3gal fabric pot and wanted share the results of growing this plant in a fabric pot.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just look at that root ball. Completely filled with roots and no stranglers.  I am completely sold on fabric pots. Thankfully I had already ordered 20 1gal, 10 2gal and 10 3 gal fabric pots that I started to experiment with.

Enjoy!

-Luke
Thanks Luke the pictures illustrate the point, once you see them at work it is hard to use anything alse.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
Thanks Luke the pictures illustrate the point, once you see them at work it is hard to use anything alse.

I agree, the first time you remove a plant from a fabric pot is when you'll be sold on using them. 

Plants grown in fabric pots seem to endure transplanting much better and take off much more quickly than plants grown in plastic pots- all the roots are aimed out toward new soil rather than being wrapped around the base of the plant!

Kevin

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
Slick video and results.  Well done.  I have been using these for years but have not transplanted out of one yet.  Thanks.