Author Topic: Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!  (Read 20952 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mango season starts in about 3 weeks!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 02:06:00 AM »
Oh man I really need to contact my buddy at the Kesar farm,  I really loved those mangoes.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
Oh man I really need to contact my buddy at the Kesar farm,  I really loved those mangoes.

Please tell your friend that we are still waiting for the Jumbo Kesars here in the USA. I was hoping they would show up in the supermarkets around here last year. I hope the plantation is still doing well.

Simon

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Anyone know of a place selling Indian mangoes in Miami-Dade (or if I were so lucky, Monroe County) in FL?

Anyone here ever successfully sprout such a mango seed purchased from a local store?

I have a Kesar tree, but it's only the first year in the ground here, and did not push out flowers anyway. So I've still never tasted one, but I'm generally a fan of Indian mangoes. I miss my days in the NYC tri-state area when I could get a variety of Indian mangoes right down the street, and for decent prices... I used to buy a box at a time! But alas, there is barely any Indian population way down here in extreme SFL.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
Anyone know of a place selling Indian mangoes in Miami-Dade (or if I were so lucky, Monroe County) in FL?

Anyone here ever successfully sprout such a mango seed purchased from a local store?

I have a Kesar tree, but it's only the first year in the ground here, and did not push out flowers anyway. So I've still never tasted one, but I'm generally a fan of Indian mangoes. I miss my days in the NYC tri-state area when I could get a variety of Indian mangoes right down the street, and for decent prices... I used to buy a box at a time! But alas, there is barely any Indian population way down here in extreme SFL.

go to any Indian Grocery store in Late April thru June and you will see Indian Mangoes there.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »
Indian Mangos have arrived at Miramar Cash and Carry. They have Alphonso and Kesar. I'll update with more info later.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
Re: Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2017, 10:58:46 PM »
Bao gave me the heads up that Miramar Cash and Carry received their shipment of Indian mangos so of course I had to check it out for myself. They had many cases of both Alphonso and Kesar but they were going pretty fast. I picked up a case of each variety and when I went to pay, the cashier opened each box to allow me to inspect for damaged fruit.

The fruit looked beautiful and they were mostly green with some yellow showing. The Kesars were $28.99 a case and the Alphonso's were $32.99 a case. It will be several days before they are ripe enough to eat but I'll definitely be reporting back with how they taste.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »
Bao gave me the heads up that Miramar Cash and Carry received their shipment of Indian mangos so of course I had to check it out for myself. They had many cases of both Alphonso and Kesar but they were going pretty fast. I picked up a case of each variety and when I went to pay, the cashier opened each box to allow me to inspect for damaged fruit.

The fruit looked beautiful and they were mostly green with some yellow showing. The Kesars were $28.99 a case and the Alphonso's were $32.99 a case. It will be several days before they are ripe enough to eat but I'll definitely be reporting back with how they taste.

Simon

Cheaper and I would rather have the Kesar.
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 11:01:59 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Alphonso

Here's the Kesar

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 11:06:02 PM »

Simon

Cheaper and I would rather have the Kesar.

I also prefer Kesar over Alphonso. It would be a miracle if none of the Alphonso's have internal breakdown.

On the Boxes, they also have listed "Badami" but I didn't see any for sale.

Simon

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
Had some Kesar's last night. Fantastic! Like no other mango I'd ever tasted. Super citrusy and something else there, turpentine? I kept thinking surinam cherries and durian.
Shane

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »

I got about 150 mangoes off my Kesar tree last year. This year, I won't get as much, but it is a reliable producer of top quality fruit. I planted the tree in late 2012.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »
any place in OC garden grove , or orange?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 06:38:07 PM »
Shane, I'm glad this shipment is good quality. Did you pick your up at Miramar Cash and Carry?

Mangokothiyan, that's a lot of Kesar Mangos, I'm glad to hear it grows well, produces well and is of good quality when grown in Florida.  Because the quality of Alphonso is poor when grown in Florida and SoCal, I was worried about Kesar.

Boxturtle, they should have Indian Mangos in some of your local Indian Supermarket. My friend in the Anaheim area picked up a couple cases but when he went back yesterday, he got the last box so call first.

I couldn't wait any longer so I cut into an Alphonso last night and it was way underripe. It will be several more days before they will be ready. Illl report back when they are ripe.
Simon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 07:10:52 PM »

I planted the Alphonso and pulled it out after 3-4 years. Lots of flowers but not even one fruit. And the fruit I tasted from another Alphonso tree was just about average. Kesar, though, is another story. Great tasting and pretty looking fruit. The fruit has really good keeping quality too.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
If Imam Passand shows up, I'm flying to Cali.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
Simon, yes on cash and carry.

I got closer on the flavor. It's citrus plus lychee. Aromatic. And something at the end I still can't figure out.
Shane

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »
You guys in San Diego are in luck!
I have not found any Indian markets in Orange county that have them...hmm...!
Like to taste some Kesar too...
Sam

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 12:53:56 AM »
Namaste plaza in Irvine advertised them 4 days ago.
Shane

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »
Thanks Shane, I'll go check them tomorrow!
Sam

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
Just came back from Namaste, Irvine: no Alphonso nor Kesar..., only "Banganpalli".
Sam

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
Banganpalli is not bad, it has some Indian Resin flavor and is sweet. Ask them when they will get their next shipment. You may want to perform a google search for Indian Supermarkets around your area and then calling them first before making the trip.

Simon

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
Sign up for their email alerts. I have it somewhere if you can't find it online.
Shane

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 10:56:32 PM »
I checked 3 largest Indian markets in Orange County (CA), and called ahead 2 days ago
and was informed that none have them.
I did a quick stop at Namaste today, taking my chance, since it's near Home Depot
where I was. I'll check again and post when I find them...
Thank you both Simon and Shane!
Sam

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:03 PM »
Is there a Farm Fresh by you? That is where my friend picked up his Kesars.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2017, 12:29:49 AM »
It's been relatively cool at my house, today is the first really warm day so it's been taking my mangos a while to ripen. I picked several Alphonso and Kesars and left them in my warm car for several hours to warm them up so that they will ripen faster. I was finally able satisfy my craving for Indian Mangos tonight.

First up was the Alphonso. These are the early season fruit and the smell was not very strong until I cut the fruit open. The color is also not as dark as the later season fruit but the taste was still very good. The Alphonso had a Brix of 18% and was very good but definitely not at its peak. I got sweetness and Indian resin but the Indian resin component was mostly concentrated right up next to the thin skin. For an early season Alphonso, I was very satisfied.

Next up was the Kesar, again for an early season mango, it was very satisfying although not at its peak. It also had a Brix reading of 18%, both varieties don't really reach their peak flavor until they hit 19-20% Brix. Kesar is a notch below Alphonso in terms of the depth and complexity of the Indian resin component but in my personal opinion, Kesar is better tasting overall because of the richness of its sweet and acidic components. These mangos were very good but I know they will get better as the season progresses.

There's a lot to be happy about, mango season is here!

Simon