Author Topic: What can work in a pot (in Florida) with only afternoon sun?  (Read 2294 times)

chewybrian

• rockledge
    • View Profile
What can work in a pot (in Florida) with only afternoon sun?
« on: March 24, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
Hello, all.  Forgive me a newbie question, but here goes...

I can only grow in pots at my condo, and I have various sizes of ceramic pots on hand which I have been using with various degrees of success to grow fruits and vegetables.  My garden only gets sun after 12 noon, and some plants don't seem to like that, like my fig tree, for example.  Tomatoes and squash also did not do well, either.

I have had success with pineapples and calamondin oranges, and I would like to plant more dwarf fruit trees, or other fruits or vegetables, if they will handle the conditions.  I would consider any options, but I really want something tough along the lines of the pineapple plant if that is possible.  I am in zone 9B.

TL/DR--What dwarf fruit trees (or other edibles) would do best in containers in an area with no morning sun? thanks

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: What can work in a pot (in Florida) with only afternoon sun?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
I got dwarf coffee seeds to sprout from tradewinds and they definitely have grown slower than the Coffee racemosa seedlings I hatched at the same time. They only get brief afternoon sun where I'm at and they're presently container grown, though I may plant some in the ground. They were originally hatched in Spring Hill (zone 9a or 9b) and grew well there, but were brought inside for the winter.

chewybrian

• rockledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »
I got dwarf coffee seeds to sprout from tradewinds and they definitely have grown slower than the Coffee racemosa seedlings I hatched at the same time. They only get brief afternoon sun where I'm at and they're presently container grown, though I may plant some in the ground. They were originally hatched in Spring Hill (zone 9a or 9b) and grew well there, but were brought inside for the winter.

Great--thanks for the suggestion.  I would love to roast and brew my own coffee, and it looks like my conditions of: part shade, hot, and humid fit that choice well.  What variety do you suggest for my area (9B) and how big a pot should it have?  I would like to keep the plant to 5 feet tall or less if that is possible, but definitely no bigger than 8 ft max.

I still need 3 or four other choices to fit my conditions (afternoon sun only, in a pot) if anyone has other suggestions.  thanks

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 08:43:18 PM »
The only seeds available were arabica, dwarf arabica, and racemosa when I ordered. I would've gotten kona if it was available. I think I've had them for about a year, so I'm no expert on keeping them.  I'm about to move them from a 1-gal into 3-gal containers and put some in the ground.

chewybrian

• rockledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »
The only seeds available were arabica, dwarf arabica, and racemosa when I ordered. I would've gotten kona if it was available. I think I've had them for about a year, so I'm no expert on keeping them.  I'm about to move them from a 1-gal into 3-gal containers and put some in the ground.

I'd prefer to get seedlings.  I've found dwarf arabica plants available (and nothing else), so I guess I will go with that.

As far as other options, I am looking at peanut better fruit and star fruit, which both say: 'full to partial sun'.  Hopefully they will take to the conditions.  I'm still open to other suggestions for another day or two until I place an order.  Thanks again for the coffee idea.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »
Direct afternoon Florida sun is pretty intense. It's probably enough for most trees.
I have my jaboticabas facing the East and they get morning sun and they are fine.
You have allot of options and it should come down to what trees will thrive in pots
and your personal preference for taste. I wouldn't waste time on coffee and it needs
protection in the Winter. I am fortunate and have 2 1/2 acres. I wish I had 10 but who
is satisfied? Some trees that come to mind are Suriname cherry, grumichama, pitangatuba,
Eugenia calycina ( I haven't tasted yet but it grows and will fruit in a pot, my tree has fruit
now) pitomba, Silas wood or makok sapodilla, Thai everbearing mulberry ( I am amazed
how much fruit this tree is putting out and its 5', Jaboticabas, sugar apples/atemoyas,
You really have allot of options. Most Eugenia will fruit in a pot. This year I have a new
Suriname cherry var dasyblasta. It's loaded with small fruit and it has a unique taste.
My Zill's Black Suriname fruits 9 months of the year and my red jaboticabas fruit all year. 

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »
I have Kona from trade winds

It about ten feet tall at the moment after pruning so they get quite large in ground

Froze back a couple time but being a seedling came right back out
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:40:17 AM by WGphil »

chewybrian

• rockledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »
Direct afternoon Florida sun is pretty intense. It's probably enough for most trees.
I have my jaboticabas facing the East and they get morning sun and they are fine.
You have allot of options and it should come down to what trees will thrive in pots
and your personal preference for taste. I wouldn't waste time on coffee and it needs
protection in the Winter. I am fortunate and have 2 1/2 acres. I wish I had 10 but who
is satisfied? Some trees that come to mind are Suriname cherry, grumichama, pitangatuba,
Eugenia calycina ( I haven't tasted yet but it grows and will fruit in a pot, my tree has fruit
now) pitomba, Silas wood or makok sapodilla, Thai everbearing mulberry ( I am amazed
how much fruit this tree is putting out and its 5', Jaboticabas, sugar apples/atemoyas,
You really have allot of options. Most Eugenia will fruit in a pot. This year I have a new
Suriname cherry var dasyblasta. It's loaded with small fruit and it has a unique taste.
My Zill's Black Suriname fruits 9 months of the year and my red jaboticabas fruit all year.

Well, you gave me a lot to think about and I checked them all out.  I still went with the coffee plant because I am a coffee lover, and it will be very cool if I am able to get a small harvest to roast, grind and brew.  I also got a mini dwarf banana plant.  I still have one very large pot and a few small ones to fill.  I am now thinking about alligator apples or dwarf ruby red grapefruit for the big pot.  Any opinion on either?  I hope I can make a mistake proof choice for the biggest pot, so I'll have something that looks good and stays alive for a few years, at least. 

I don't know what to put in the small pots, other than strawberries, maybe.  I might just put some succulents in them just for show if I can not find fruiting plants that will stay small enough.  Will any of those suggestions above grow in a 2 or 3 gallon pot, or does anything come to mind that would?    thanks

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 02:17:14 AM »
Hi chewybrian, a word of advice that was given to me by someone regarding ceramic pots. They are often difficult to repot plants from, so usually it's best to keep them as decorative outers for traditional black nursery plastic pots. Friendly word of advice, and will hopefully prevent you from having to crack any of them to loosen roots etc.

A few ideas below.

Read about this blacony grower here amidst Miami's Brickell Avenue high-rises.

https://www.miamiherald.com/living/home-garden/article38939241.html
"Today he cultivates about 100 fruit trees and flowering plants tucked into plastic pots that are relatively lightweight."

"He’s particularly proud of his citrus orchard that includes grapefruit, Minneola tangelos, Meyer lemons, key limes, and Dancy and Murcott tangerines. He also has a pitaya or dragon fruit; he’s eagerly awaiting the harvest of its red and green spiked fruit. And then there are the banana plants that were split in half vertically by a recent storm. “That’s happened several times,” he says."

I also recommend this article by Georgia Tasker via the Miami Herald archives "Fruit Trees For A Real High" from 1980, that covers some ideas for balconies. Hope this info helps. She mentions carambola, guava, Barbados cherry, dragonfruit, papaya, kumquat, Key limes are a few ideas. Let us know what works best for you.

Regards, Mamey D.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:45:27 AM by MameyDisco »
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

chewybrian

• rockledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »
Hi chewybrian, a word of advice that was given to me but someone regarding ceramic pots. They are often difficult to repot plants from, so usually it's best to keep them as decorative outers for traditional black nursery plastic pots. Friendly word of advice, and will hopefully prevent you from having to crack any of them to loosen roots etc.

A few ideas, carambola, guava,

Read about this blacony grower here amidst Miami's Brickell Avenue high-rises.

https://www.miamiherald.com/living/home-garden/article38939241.html
"Today he cultivates about 100 fruit trees and flowering plants tucked into plastic pots that are relatively lightweight."

"He’s particularly proud of his citrus orchard that includes grapefruit, Minneola tangelos, Meyer lemons, key limes, and Dancy and Murcott tangerines. He also has a pitaya or dragon fruit; he’s eagerly awaiting the harvest of its red and green spiked fruit. And then there are the banana plants that were split in half vertically by a recent storm. “That’s happened several times,” he says."

I also recommend this article by Georgia Tasker via the Miami Herald archives "Fruit Trees For A Real High" from 1980, that covers some ideas for balconies. Hope this info helps. She mentions carambola, guava, Barbados cherry, dragonfruit, papaya, kumquat, Key limes are a few ideas. Let us know what works best for you.

Regards, Mamey D.

Thanks for the info.  I enjoyed the articles, and I got a couple ideas from researching your suggestions.

I think I will try the finger lime plant for one of the larger pots.  I might try the dwarf barbados cherry for one of the smaller ones.  I got conflicting info about whether it was cold hardy, though, from  zone 10-11 only to can withstand 25 degrees (I am in zone 9b).  I guess I will give it a chance, since it is one of the few fruiting trees that can stay small enough to fruit in a small pot.  I guess I will fill the other small pots with strawberries and succulents, unless someone comes up with another micro-fruit.  thanks again

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 06:47:52 AM »
Do them all, instead of either or! Also, consider that it's a blessing being able to move them indoors if  needed. The articles I sent focus on South Florida.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:53:34 AM by MameyDisco »
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 07:30:36 AM »
Miracle Fruit does great in pots and doesn't like full sun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk