Author Topic: Second year of fruit from my 25 gallon Pitomba  (Read 2418 times)

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
Second year of fruit from my 25 gallon Pitomba
« on: May 13, 2015, 11:47:09 PM »
Here is a pic of my 25 gallon Pitomba, that is fruiting for the second year.
Some of the fruits are round in shape and others more fig shaped (with a neck).  I have been eating them both after they fall, when they drop once just touching them,  and maybe a day or 2 before, when you gotta pull on them.  Once they have fallen the acidity seems to drop a little and they tend to be mushy where the flesh has discolored slightly.  Others have reported they come into fruiting slowly, but mine started fruiting around 3 to 4 feet high.  Plus for me they fit the time period between grumichamas/blueberries and the beginning of lychee season, which has just fired up.  Another plus is my girlfriend and daughter don't care for them, so more for me  ;D ;D.  Also never have had dieback on this one.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Second year of fruit from my 25 gallon Pitomba
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:30:57 AM »
That looks pretty nice, have to say one of my favourites. Bmc gave me one last year and i got three fruit off it at christmas time. Love the flavour, mine tasted like dried apricots. Very concentrated flavour. Mine is just getting a decent growth spurt now, it has put on about a foot of growth in 4 months. Cant wait till mine has that many fruit, i could eat them all day.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 04:09:56 AM »
So it sounds like they're a seasonal producer, like only in the spring?

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
Great to see a beautiful, healthy tree!

Mine apparently needs some special care. It looks exactly like it did when I planted it a year ago. It doesn't appear to be sick, but it is still 3ft tall and has not had any new leaves, no growth, no flowers, no change at all. I'm starting to wonder if it's plastic. :) Even my mangosteen and grumichama have shown decent growth, easily lapping my pitomba.

It's possible that it needs more sun (it's only getting partial where I put it, because that's the only place where it fit - but I'd rather cut back the trees around it so it gets more sun than transplant it again), and it might need more water. I was thinking I'd wait and see what happens this rainy season, which seems to be starting up a bit early, and if it doesn't grow with all the water and more sun from pruning around it, then I can look into further measures. Most of the plants near it are quite happy, even though some are not in completely ideal conditions for their species either.

Too bad, I was especially looking forward to the fruit of this one!

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
My two have sat for ages with not much growth but one has just had a nice growth spurt of about a foot. Seems to like plentty of water and full sun.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »
My two have sat for ages with not much growth but one has just had a nice growth spurt of about a foot. Seems to like plentty of water and full sun.

Good to know it's not just mine! I went out there today and hacked away everything I could manage around it, which will give it full sun for at least 6 or 8 hours, with filtered light for a few hours in the middle. It's going to be getting a lot more rain coming up due to the rainy season. So we'll see if that finally makes a difference by this Fall. I would have LOVED to have fruit this year. But I did read another source that said they often start fruiting by about 3.5ft, so maybe I do have a shot at next year!

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »
My 1.5 foot tall plant started to produce buds but they just stunted up before opening and dropped off and other one is 2 foot when it flowered before the growth spurt. Had about 7 flowers over 3 months and hand pollinated them all but got just 3 fruit. Take it the trees are still maturing and will get better as time goes on. Also mulch heavy with lucerne to try and get some nitrogen into them to promote growth so may have hampered flowering a bit.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 11:16:28 PM »
Mine just has 1 or maybe if I'm lucky 2 growth flushes a year, but i water it heavily from March to the beginning of winter.  I found that it can take granulated fertilizers without tip burn, but the last few years I have been feeding it fish/kelp fertilizers.  Mine was originally in part shade but once I transplanted it to a 15 gallon pot, I moved it to full sun, at least 6 hours to 8 hours a day.  But basically the growth flushes are only a half foot on average.  Good luck all, because its actually a decent fruit, and the tree is beautiful.  I am trying an air layer on an offshoot right now, any one have any luck propagating them this way?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk