Author Topic: 2014 Mango Musings  (Read 9146 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
2014 Mango Musings
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »
We're into August, well into the mango late season here in Florida. I thought I would note some of my mango experiences from this year so far. First let me say that the trees still holding fruit are mostly your standard later varieties........Keitt, Beverly, Golden Nugget, Neelam, Valencia Pride, Palmer, Golden Lippens, Mallika, my seedling of Mallika, and Maha Chanok.  Maha Chanok is noteworthy because one of my four trees has been maturing fruit for a couple of months already. I also still have Ivory on the tree and a few Julie and Carrie that were later blooms on isolated branches. 

Maha, one of my all time favorite mangoes has been quite good this year.  It continues to be a very sweet, complex flavored fruit with great growing qualities.  However, some of the new mangoes produced by Zills have a more "in your face" strong flavor that has taken up lead honors at various tastings that I have conducted this year. Lemon Zest is a definite perennial front runner for lead honors.  I have been very impressed with Sweet Tart both on the flavor profile and the production/disease resistance.  Lemon Zest, although I have planted three trees, has not yet bloomed at my house and seems very susceptible to foliar fungus, especially black sooty mold. Lady's choice, an improved East Indian type, was fruitful, but highly susceptible to fruit fungus such that the entire crop was lost.  There was no spraying done. Pina Colada flowered profusely but set no fruit.  Emerald, a perennial disappointment on the fruit set front, set more fruits than ever, none of which was I ever able to enjoy thanks to poor observation on my part of the onset of maturity. Alphonso also set more fruits this year than in all previous fruiting seasons combined.  The fruit eating quality continues to be very disappointing…..mediocre at best……not a superlative mango in my yard.  Kensington Pride, the Australian wonder, set more fruits than in any previous year.  These were Ok…..nothing to write home about and certainly, at least as grown in my yard, have no business being the rage of a continent.

I was impressed with fruits brought to my various tastings.  High on the list and candidates for tree procurement and planting are Dupuis Saigon, Taralay and Kun See. I better post this before I go further and lose the whole thing by accident.  To be continued…..
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Mango Musings
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
Thanks for the observations! It seems Lemon Zest is high on most peoples list and the most important aspect of Lemon Zest, in my opinion, is the consistency of the quality of its fruit. Yes there are reports of it being better last year but it is also good this year. Not just that but it is good quality wether it was grown in Florida, California and I would assume other places that can grow mango. From the few LZ trees I've seen in SoCal, the production is good.

Simon

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
A good read, Harry! Looking forward to the rest.  Maybe you'll have some fruit with you when we see you soon  ;D ;D

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
Nice synopsis Harry.  As usual, I have to agree.  The older, established front runners are still amazing, but for me most have been beaten by some of the new Zills varieties. 

Maha Chanok and Angie are still in the lead pack, but this year at least, they are not the Alpha dog.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:57:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing Harry.  I'm glad that I am not the only one who has an "ornamental" Pina Colada mango tree.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »
  Thanks for posting the report Harry, I will have to drive by a little slower to see if any Ivory make it to the table. Picked up a Sai Tong last week waiting for it to ripen.
  On the future tree front I guess a Sweet Tart is in my future, as I haven't read any negative reviews. Pina Colada? I waited 7 or 8 yrs. for a sour sop to produce.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:19:24 AM »
  Thanks for posting the report Harry, I will have to drive by a little slower to see if any Ivory make it to the table. Picked up a Sai Tong last week waiting for it to ripen.
  On the future tree front I guess a Sweet Tart is in my future, as I haven't read any negative reviews. Pina Colada? I waited 7 or 8 yrs. for a sour sop to produce.

I picked almost all of the remaining Ivory and put them out on Friday.  Rats, basilisk lizards or squirrels.....not sure which one or combination of them chewed almost all of them.....at least on the ends of each fruit.  They devoured one almost completely.  I have to do something as my fruit stand is turning into an all you can eat buffet for the critters.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
Thanks for sharing Harry.  I'm glad that I am not the only one who has an "ornamental" Pina Colada mango tree.

::)
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »
I am thinking a squirrel as the one I saw was chewed from the fence side for its nervous safety. I constantly trap and transport the varmints many miles from the prized fruit.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »

Mine will change from ornamental to fruiting next year with a least 10 edible mangoes and so will yours. Get back to me 10 months from today.

I predict this due to profuse PC blooming this year same as Harry's, which will also give 10 fruit in 2015

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:24:04 AM »

Many new Zills are too sweet. How many too sweet mangoes can you eat without going into sugar shock? So I am also predicting an anti FP/PC/LZ/ST/HM/ backlash-revolt in 2016-2017 and a sigh of relief as we turn back to the older tried and true Floridian blander mangoes.  Also only eating the new Zills as dessert mangoes such as after a steak, hamburger, or pulled pork BBQ 8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:52:22 PM by zands »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
Great overview, Harry.

LZ and ST are delicious mangoes. I'm a bit surprised though that no one has said much about mallika, which is an astounding mango with a flavor somewhat similar to LZ (a sweet orange sherbety flavor).

What zands says has some truth to it. I think we have a tendency to get bored of one flavor or another over time, just as one gets bored of the latest rage in fashion. (Fortunately, fashion rages tend to come back, so those of us who save our duds for a couple of decades can simply re-use our former purchases.) More seriously, I think it's important to have a wide selection of mango flavors and "types" of mango flavors to keep from getting burned out on any one flavor.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »
I agree completely with Jeff and Zands as to burn out.  I can honestly say I got sick of eating Coconut Cream mangoes after eating them for a month.  Yes, they were delicious but its the same flavor over and over.  I started this year eating tons of LZand got sick of them.  After eating all the CC, and eating the last ccouple LZ on the tree, those LZ were back to their delicious self.

I will agree 100% that a well ripened Mallika can be as good ss any Zills variety.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
Thank you very much to Harry for posting is.  If tickets from Bermuda were cheaper,  I assure you would have no problem with too many Ivory mangoes.  :)

Regarding "the rage" of fairly new Zills mangoes, it will be also interesting to see how they perform under various conditions over time.  The year round high humidity and wind prone winters Bermuda will certainly test them.  Someone asked Dr. Campbell about the Zills varieties during the mango festival and he noted that they had no seen good performance out of them so far. I presume he meant production relative to other trees of a similar age or else disease or else both.

As we know this can vary depending on many factors - soil, water, heat, humidity, bugs etc.  Time will tell if the outstanding tastes, few can deny, can be matched by reasonable production in various situations. 

Thus, like most, I am hedging my bets on a wide variety including all those included in "the rage".

Any if I ever got bored with LZ/CC/ST/FP/UB/PC I would buy and eat a Tommy Atkins to get my mind straight!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:20:41 AM by Future »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
We're into August, well into the mango late season here in Florida. I thought I would note some of my mango experiences from this year so far. First let me say that the trees still holding fruit are mostly your standard later varieties........Keitt, Beverly, Golden Nugget, Neelam, Valencia Pride, Palmer, Golden Lippens, Mallika, my seedling of Mallika, and Maha Chanok.  Maha Chanok is noteworthy because one of my four trees has been maturing fruit for a couple of months already. I also still have Ivory on the tree and a few Julie and Carrie that were later blooms on isolated branches. 

Maha, one of my all time favorite mangoes has been quite good this year.  It continues to be a very sweet, complex flavored fruit with great growing qualities.  However, some of the new mangoes produced by Zills have a more "in your face" strong flavor that has taken up lead honors at various tastings that I have conducted this year. Lemon Zest is a definite perennial front runner for lead honors.  I have been very impressed with Sweet Tart both on the flavor profile and the production/disease resistance.  Lemon Zest, although I have planted three trees, has not yet bloomed at my house and seems very susceptible to foliar fungus, especially black sooty mold. Lady's choice, an improved East Indian type, was fruitful, but highly susceptible to fruit fungus such that the entire crop was lost.  There was no spraying done. Pina Colada flowered profusely but set no fruit.  Emerald, a perennial disappointment on the fruit set front, set more fruits than ever, none of which was I ever able to enjoy thanks to poor observation on my part of the onset of maturity. Alphonso also set more fruits this year than in all previous fruiting seasons combined.  The fruit eating quality continues to be very disappointing…..mediocre at best……not a superlative mango in my yard.  Kensington Pride, the Australian wonder, set more fruits than in any previous year.  These were Ok…..nothing to write home about and certainly, at least as grown in my yard, have no business being the rage of a continent.

I was impressed with fruits brought to my various tastings.  High on the list and candidates for tree procurement and planting are Dupuis Saigon, Taralay and Kun See. I better post this before I go further and lose the whole thing by accident.  To be continued…..

Oh and it is no secret I am a big fan of Khun See.  It is one of only a few mangos I know that can be picked at a very wide range of ripeness and still please.  It can be picked crunchy an still taste good and sweet.  It is very unique in this regard.

Does anyone know from where this mango originates?

Dupuis Saigon is also a great tasting mango.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
Mallika, by far, has been my favorite mango this season (I haven't tasted any of the Zill creations though).

Harry, have you had a chance to compare Ivory and Tog Bi Con mangoes this season? Are they the same?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
I admit that I took a break from seeking out the newer Zill's mangos this year partially because of the intense sweetness factor. Yes, for sure, I go crazy for the taste.  But many are definitely "dessert mangos" or even "candy mangos."

I stuck to local mangoes -  Haden, Carrie, Kent & Cogshalls from friends' and neighbors' trees... some Asian mangoes (Keow Savoy, NDM) from Fortune Cookie oriental market... and commercial Valencia Prides. I enjoyed the fibers, the more "fruit"-like levels of sweetness, the delicious but not overwhelming flavors.

That being said, I definitely am looking forward to some Coconut Cream, Fruit Punches, and Pina Coladas (Mr. Clean - hook me up) next year!

The highlights of my limited tastings this year were an unknown early season (april) specimen from a parking lot that tasted wonderful, some perfectly ripe Carries, and a Lemon Zest. The "sherberty" flavor of the LZ is beyond delicious, its almost magical.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:30:02 PM by BrettBorders »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »
Mallika, by far, has been my favorite mango this season (I haven't tasted any of the Zill creations though).

Considering excitement surrounding Mallika it has been the most disappointing mango for me in FL. Wanted wow factor, but ended up in "nice but nothing special" category. Hopefully next year will get perfectly ripe specimens.

Kun See was very impressive in terms of versatility. In a blind test I would guess its just unknown variety of apple. Amazing resemblance. Kind of eliminates the need to grow apples in tropics. Totally ripe was also very nice. This mango is on my next "to get" list.
Question to Sleepdoc. When is the earliest you can pic Kun See as green mango? What are the usual patterns of the season?

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »

[/quote]

Kun See was very impressive in terms of versatility. In a blind test I would guess its just unknown variety of apple. Amazing resemblance. Kind of eliminates the need to grow apples in tropics. Totally ripe was also very nice. This mango is on my next "to get" list.
Question to Sleepdoc. When is the earliest you can pic Kun See as green mango? What are the usual patterns of the season?
[/quote]

It really needs to be " mature green" to varying degrees of yellowing when picked.  The tree fruits well and consistent, with an extended season. The first fruit to fully size up and mature tend to be ready in early June, about the same timing as Glenn.  My tree tends to hold fruit until about early August, which is another great aspect of the variety.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 08:33:24 PM »
so tell me more about Dupius saigon...is this the same tree zill sells as Dupius?

good disease resistance? hopefully a compact grower?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 10:59:11 PM »
so tell me more about Dupius saigon...is this the same tree zill sells as Dupius?

Same tree - known by both names
Its very vigorous and the full grown tree at Walter Zills is very big
Seems to have good disease resistance

Its a superb mango  :).  It was the only tree which I actively sought out  for almost 2 years.

I bought mine from Patrick Brooks last year but Im not sure if Zills is still propagating it.

Harry - thanks for your info, informative as always. 

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:00:43 PM by naturelover »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »

It really needs to be " mature green" to varying degrees of yellowing when picked.  The tree fruits well and consistent, with an extended season. The first fruit to fully size up and mature tend to be ready in early June, about the same timing as Glenn.  My tree tends to hold fruit until about early August, which is another great aspect of the variety.

Ok, thank you. Will keep an eye for this one.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »
Yes, thanks, Harry! Always interesting to hear your analysis of your orchard products.
Glad to here the Maha Chinok is still a top tier mango.  Just wish I could figure out
what is going on with mine.  The guy, mangomaniac, in Phoenix apparently grows
a dynamite one, but I think our soil is quite different - mine being sandy and his
being more clayey.  At least I know it can do well in the desert heat.

But sorry to hear about the LZ and its foliar, fungal problems.  Doesn't seem to be an
issue out here, thank the gods.  I did a major pugging of my 10 year old Manila yesterday,
and today grafted about 20 scions of the LZ onto it.  My batting average just HAS to
improve....

thanks, again....Gary

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »
thank you kindly for the info naturelover!

Same tree - known by both names
Its very vigorous and the full grown tree at Walter Zills is very big
Seems to have good disease resistance

Its a superb mango  :).  It was the only tree which I actively sought out  for almost 2 years.

I bought mine from Patrick Brooks last year but Im not sure if Zills is still propagating it.

Harry - thanks for your info, informative as always.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
Adam,

My tree that I planted in the ground on in June of 2013 as a medium sized 3 gal is 8 ft tall and 8ft wide.  Leaves of my tree are disease resistant, not sure about the flowers/fruit.

Brandon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk