Author Topic: Indoor lychee drying out  (Read 1221 times)

lycheemom

• Nova Gorica
    • View Profile
Indoor lychee drying out
« on: January 08, 2019, 05:04:59 PM »
Hey!

I haven't found any answers to this.
I've been growing lychee from seed. It is now one year old and I have recently repotted in a soil suitable for citruses. (I've read they like acidic soil.)
Since then the leaves have started drying out, curling and some have developed white spots.  :'(
Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how I can save it?

Thanks  :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor lychee drying out
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »
It looks like you have some root tip damage combined with high salt or chlorides in your water and/or soil. Some potting soils alread have fertilizers in them and they can burn sensitive plants like Lychees. Keep your tree in high humidity, away from air currents or spray with RO water. Also try watering with RO water or have your current water tested.

The damage to the burnt leaf edges will not likely heal but you can save the healthy center portion of the leaves. Small Lychees need very little fertilizer. They do like iron but such a small tree will require minuscule amounts.

Simon

lycheemom

• Nova Gorica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:41:28 AM »
Thank you for your answer.
The water is fine so i guess the soil is the problem here. I have repotted it back to the soil it was growing in before. I think the leaves are not drying out, so hopefully it will survive :(

Thank you again.  :)

Monkeyfingers

• USA, Jacksonville, FL, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »
So while my lychee is sick due to neglect, I had it indoors and it also has a serious case of drying out. I had brought my tropicals into the screened porch back when we had a cold snap about 2 weeks ago, and didn't water anything (busy work week etc etc). My lychee took a beating, it still has some green leaves so I'm hoping I can resuscitate it.

I gave it some rainwater. Wanted to upsize the pot this spring but thinking it is now too stressed so maybe next year. Any suggestions or should I just leave it alone and hope it survives?

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
So while my lychee is sick due to neglect, I had it indoors and it also has a serious case of drying out. I had brought my tropicals into the screened porch back when we had a cold snap about 2 weeks ago, and didn't water anything (busy work week etc etc). My lychee took a beating, it still has some green leaves so I'm hoping I can resuscitate it.

I gave it some rainwater. Wanted to upsize the pot this spring but thinking it is now too stressed so maybe next year. Any suggestions or should I just leave it alone and hope it survives?

My suggestion would be to get it in the ground in a month or so when it warms up. You seem to have the space from the photo..Jax doesn't often freeze for too long right? And perhaps you can find the location on your property with the best winter microclimate. Ultimately the tree will be happier and healthier in the ground.
always longing for a JA Julie