Author Topic: Benefits of mulch around trees?  (Read 4023 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Benefits of mulch around trees?
« on: March 04, 2016, 04:20:49 AM »
I'm just finishing my front yard landscaping and I spread mulch all around my trees and garden beds.  Was wondering if this is beneficial to the trees?  My thoughts were it would make a good weed barrier and also keep moisture in the soil.   

But I was also wondering if the mulch had other good properties for the trees as it broke down?   Is it harmful in any way? 

Also why am I the only one that has my pictures post sideways???   Fml
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

dafo

• Slovenia EU
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits of mulch around trees?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 04:36:16 AM »
Hi! It is not harmful if the material you used is safe and not chemically treated. Mulch does have a beneficial impact on soil as a humidity retainer and over a longer period of time with a process of decomposition contributes to good aeration of soil and a nutritional levels and prevents the soil to get too compact. But it also works as sponge for nitrogen and usually gardens that are mulched need to be fertilized more often. As you said it is also beneficial in a way of reducing weed growth and makes it easier to remove the weed.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 06:59:25 AM »
I'm just finishing my front yard landscaping and I spread mulch all around my trees and garden beds.  Was wondering if this is beneficial to the trees?  My thoughts were it would make a good weed barrier and also keep moisture in the soil.   

But I was also wondering if the mulch had other good properties for the trees as it broke down?   Is it harmful in any way? 

Also why am I the only one that has my pictures post sideways???   Fml

A little late now but you shouldn't have used that weed barrier.
- Rob

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »
gotta make it thick and make sure no grass is nearby. I have crab grass as my lawn(don't knock it, looks like decorative grass when mowed and I don't even have to water it) but it will send runners under my mulch and shoots up through the thickest of mulch during the summer.

It will reduce available nitrogen initially but will eventually be very good for the soil even making sandy FL crap soil into nice dark dirt. There's a video on youtube somewhere of a guy in the desert who did it to his garden and he demonstrated after a good while the difference between soil before and after. Was very impressive. Not sure how it would work on clay soils.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 08:49:16 AM »
Mulch is my favorite fertilizer of all time. I get the free tree trimmer stuff. I love the different species and how fresh it is. There are a few things to look out for but the tree guys usually know not to bring the stuff like carrot wood and brazilian pepper during certain times of the year. The other thing would be a certain palm fungus but so far so good. I like to plant on mounds and then mulch the BAJEZUS out of it. If you are growing organic it is the best thing you can do in my opinion. It keeps the soil biome happy and active. Weed cloth is wack yo. ;) I just got a 10 cubic foot wheel barrow and I can really fly through a load now. I am guessing the free stuff is harder to get in Hawaii but don't let any organic matter leave your property ever again. Recycle everything back into your fertility.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
The sideways picture thing is really strange. I couldn't figure it out no matter which way I rotated the image. I ended up getting a flickr account to post stuff here but they have been bouncing back and forth with some updates and the BB code link isn't there sometimes.
-Josh

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 11:55:17 AM »
Guys thanks a bunch for the responses.   Super helpful.   I actually only ran the weed cloth on the back half of the garden beds where I would be walking.    The front half doesn't have any and everywhere in and around the trees is heavily mulched.   The upper terrace doesn't have any weed barrier at all.   But I won't use any more!! I have heard the message. Haha.  Also I am putting this stuff on pretty thick.   

Vern believe it or not it is actually free here.  It's all the tree trimmers that come dump it here.  Seems like good stuff.   So because it's free I'm really packing it in. 
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 07:49:34 PM »
I add mulch 2-3 times a year, it doesn't take long for it to break down. I also get free horse manure every couple weeks and add this as well. The other day I saw an employee raking oak leaves at a day care. He had about 10 bags and happily let me load them up. He told me they rake them about every 2 months and leave them by the dumpster, help myself! I go by my local coffee shop every Friday and get about 20-25 pounds of grounds. My newest project is Fish emulsion and a couple weeks ago I started about 30 gallons. I added fish scraps from 5 sheephead, 30 catfish, 1 mullet, 1 ladyfish, a bag of oak leaves, a 5 gallon bucket of pond scum, about 16 oz of molasses. I added shrimp skins, oyster shells and clam shells. I put the barrell behind my shed and I can't smell it at the house. I have 2 1/2 acres and the shed is in the back of my property. So far my two neighbors haven't complained. WOW does it stink! I am going to experiment this summer and try to quit using chemical fertilizer?

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 02:12:38 AM »
For me mulch has worked better on larger trees, and not so good on new smaller trees.   The biggest problem has been that is makes the irrigation soak in on one spot, and not saturate the dripline.   Also it builds up against the trunk.  So pulling it back 2 or 3ft from the trunk, has worked the best for me.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 07:44:54 AM »
Mulch is my favorite fertilizer of all time. I get the free tree trimmer stuff. I love the different species and how fresh it is. There are a few things to look out for but the tree guys usually know not to bring the stuff like carrot wood and brazilian pepper during certain times of the year. The other thing would be a certain palm fungus but so far so good. I like to plant on mounds and then mulch the BAJEZUS out of it. If you are growing organic it is the best thing you can do in my opinion. It keeps the soil biome happy and active. Weed cloth is wack yo. ;) I just got a 10 cubic foot wheel barrow and I can really fly through a load now. I am guessing the free stuff is harder to get in Hawaii but don't let any organic matter leave your property ever again. Recycle everything back into your fertility.

I have dealt with plenty of tree trimmers chips and the only drawback is they often put out mold dust when you are shoveling, manure-forking them and otherwise moving them. Home Depot type bagged wood chips never do this. I bought a good mask at Amazon and use it 80% of the time with tree trimmers chips. Sometimes the tree trimmers chips are not moldy

Mask respirator I use
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-817664-Toxic-Respirator/dp/B0009XW3ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457267723&sr=8-1&keywords=MSA+Safety+Works+817664+Toxic+Dust+Respirator

there are six Amazon reviews referring to it filtering out mold dust
http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0009XW3ZS/ref=cm_cr_dp_srch?filterByKeyword=mold&search-alias=community-reviews

Ever hear of farmer's lung?
https://www.bing.com/search?q=farmer%27s+lung&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

Make the soil nice and black with lots of wood chips and add a little modern fertilizers such as NPK with minors and use potassium sulfate when trees get older. A formula for success. You are going 90% organic this way. Plus toss your NPK on top of of your wood chips and most of the NPK and minors will get chelated into the wood chips making them organic. Buffering them too
If you have a horse coral near you then get free manure but I don't have one.

It will reduce available nitrogen initially but will eventually be very good for the soil even making sandy FL crap soil into nice dark dirt. There's a video on youtube somewhere of a guy in the desert who did it to his garden and he demonstrated after a good while the difference between soil before and after. Was very impressive. Not sure how it would work on clay soils.

Must be that vegan-athlete-Arizona guy and wood chips do not rob nitrogen unless they are incorporated (mixed) into the soil. We are talking here about wood chips mulch above the soil.
https://www.youtube.com/user/VeganAthlete/videos
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:50:35 AM by zands »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »

I have dealt with plenty of tree trimmers chips and the only drawback is they often put out mold dust when you are shoveling, manure-forking them and otherwise moving them. Home Depot type bagged wood chips never do this. I bought a good mask at Amazon and use it 80% of the time with tree trimmers chips. Sometimes the tree trimmers chips are not moldy

Mask respirator I use
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-817664-Toxic-Respirator/dp/B0009XW3ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457267723&sr=8-1&keywords=MSA+Safety+Works+817664+Toxic+Dust+Respirator

there are six Amazon reviews referring to it filtering out mold dust
http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0009XW3ZS/ref=cm_cr_dp_srch?filterByKeyword=mold&search-alias=community-reviews

Ever hear of farmer's lung?
https://www.bing.com/search?q=farmer%27s+lung&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

Make the soil nice and black with lots of wood chips and add a little modern fertilizers such as NPK with minors and use potassium sulfate when trees get older. A formula for success. You are going 90% organic this way. Plus toss your NPK on top of of your wood chips and most of the NPK and minors will get chelated into the wood chips making them organic. Buffering them too
If you have a horse coral near you then get free manure but I don't have one.

Must be that vegan-athlete-Arizona guy and wood chips do not rob nitrogen unless they are incorporated (mixed) into the soil. We are talking here about wood chips mulch above the soil.
https://www.youtube.com/user/VeganAthlete/videos

That is a really good call on the respirator. I am going to order one of those. I have breathed in so much organic dust. I have been steadily mulching my friends two acres plus my yard and all of the potting mix I custom blend in the cement mixer from raw materials. Micronized Azomite is good for your lungs right? That is how I get my trace minerals. :) You saved my life Zands. I owe you one. I am careful, stand down wind, and moisten my mixes but that mask is a lot more convenient than holding my breath or using those crappy paper dust masks during the dicey parts.
-Josh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 02:34:51 PM »
If mulch is fresh, you don't need a respirator. But, if it's been sitting for a couple of days (either in your yard or in the back of a trimmer's truck), it will develop mold, which is a serious irritant to the lungs. I was getting to the point where I would have phlegm in my lungs for weeks after spreading mulch.

I didn't want to freak out the neighbors with the crazy holocaust mask, so I got one of these, which h as worked really well for me (and keeps the neighbors from thinking I'm spreading some toxic crud throughout the neighborhood :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UELRW4
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
PS -- Mulch is the best thing you can do for your trees. I've hauled in over 1,000 cubic yards over the past decade, and it's made a dramatic difference. I don't even use fertilizer or foliar sprays anymore (although it takes a few years to get to that point).
Jeff  :-)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
Awesome. Love it.   Yeah I'm excited to see how the mulch helps amend the soil over time. Hope the trees take off and give me much fruit!   

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »
That is a really good call on the respirator. I am going to order one of those. I have breathed in so much organic dust. I have been steadily mulching my friends two acres plus my yard and all of the potting mix I custom blend in the cement mixer from raw materials. Micronized Azomite is good for your lungs right? That is how I get my trace minerals. :) You saved my life Zands. I owe you one. I am careful, stand down wind, and moisten my mixes but that mask is a lot more convenient than holding my breath or using those crappy paper dust masks during the dicey parts.

Hey Josh. I bought that one three years ago on Amazon after researching different respirators for one or two hours
HOWEVER please do your own research and evaluation
There might be better ones by now. Amazon had quite a few types. There might be ones that can do different types of filtration with a cartridge change. Such as being capable of stopping mold but also paint and chem fumes when spraying copper.
Just saying you might find a multi-purpose respirator for 10$-20$ more that the one I bought.
Tractor Supply might have some interesting respirators

Farmers lung is no joke!!!
http://nasdonline.org/1654/d001538/farmer-039-s-lung-it-takes-your-breath.html
Farmer's Lung: It Takes Your Breath Away!
PDF Version available

Farm Safety Association, Inc.

Farmer's lung is an allergy caused by dust from moldy hay, straw and grain. In early stages of the disease, it can seem like nothing worse than a nagging winter cold. If ignored, the allergic reaction can cause permanent lung damage. The victim may be forced to give up farming and -- in some cases -- may suffer from permanent disability or even death.

Early diagnosis is crucial if lasting damage is to be prevented. Because farmer's lung is characterized by cold or flu-like symptoms, early detection is difficult. Many victims won't even bother to visit a doctor despite persistent symptoms. When they do, the exposure to moldy crop material is rarely mentioned to the physician. This can be disastrous, because each exposure increases the damage. Farmers who don't seek medical help could saddle their families with an invalid.
Molds the cause

When crops are stored without sufficient drying, they begin to heat. Many kinds of mold grow in such environments. When a farmer works with such material -- for example, when a bale of hay is broken open -- the mold is released as part of a very fine dust. A farmer who is working indoors can inhale a large amount of this dust in a very short time.

Because the dust is so fine, it gets past defense systems in the nose and throat. When the dust reaches the inner parts of the lungs (called the alveoli), the lungs' internal defense system takes over. In most cases, the dust is removed without damage. However, an allergy to the material develops in a few individuals. In other words, the body 'assumes' that the mold is more dangerous than is really the case, and prepares to combat the intruders.

The first exposure in sensitive individuals only creates the allergy. Every subsequent exposure triggers an allergic reaction. The body's immune system goes to work against the mold, producing symptoms which may resemble anything from a cold to pneumonia. Scar tissue (fibrosis) forms within the lungs. While cold-like symptoms may clear up, the fibrosis is permanent.

Lung damage may be too slight to notice in the early stages of farmer's lung. However, each subsequent exposure increases tissue damage. A victim will soon begin to notice that they are short of breath. At first, this makes strenuous work more difficult. Even routine tasks become too much after frequent, repeated exposure. Eventually, the victim may find it a struggle to even get out of a chair.
Acute attacks most obvious

The allergic reactions of farmer's lung are usually divided into either acute or chronic attacks. Acute reactions are most noticeable but, by being ignored, the chronic form can do more long-term damage.

Acute reactions occur when a farmer is especially sensitive and/or when there is very heavy exposure to moldy dust. Symptoms of an acute attack develop four to eight hours after exposure. They resemble flu or even pneumonia -- in extreme cases, the victim may go into shock and die!

Symptoms of acute farmer's lung include:

Fever
    Chills
    A dripping nose
    An irritating and harassing cough
    Blood-streaked sputum
    Laboured or difficult breathing, with a feeling of tightness in the chest.
    Crackling breathing
    Muscular pain
    Depression

It is easy to see why these symptoms could be mistaken for a case of the flu. That's why milder attacks are often left to "run their course", without a visit to a doctor. In the more extreme cases, the need for hospital care becomes obvious.

Symptoms of an acute farmer's lung attack usually decrease after 12 hours, but may linger for up to two weeks. Severe attacks can last as long as 12 weeks.

_____________________EXCERPT_______
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:29:12 PM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk