Author Topic: Need help on newly planted Owari satsuma mandarin tree  (Read 2109 times)

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
Need help on newly planted Owari satsuma mandarin tree
« on: May 24, 2016, 02:50:23 PM »
Hi,

I really need help. I planted this Owari satsuma mandarin tree about 2 weeks ago and I noticed that the newest leaves are more yellowish green than the older leaves on the bottom part of the tree. Im not sure if it was this color when I bought it. I think I remember it being lighter than the older leaves on the bottom but don't think it was this light. I also noticed there are some curling on some of the leaves too. I don't think it's due to lack of water since I checked the top few inches of soil and it's still wet. Not soggy but wet. I'm wondering can transplant shock do this? Can someone please be able to identify the issues I'm having with my tree. Thank you in advance!

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on newly planted Owari satsuma mandarin tree
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:50:22 PM »
Normally the young leaves will be a much lighter green color. They should darken with age.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:45:23 PM »
It looks like a severe Iron deficiency.  Iron deficiencies always show up on new leaves with sympoms showing some green in the leaf veins on an otherwise yellow leaf.  This problem is generally associated with, and prevalent in calcareous soils with higher soil pH. Under a severe deficiency of Fe, the leaves become light green then turning yellow or sometimes even nearly white between the veins due to reduced level of chlorophyll.  These symptoms are always prominent in the tree's young new leaves.  Fe chelates, as a foliar Fe application has been found as a quick and economical strategy to correct Fe chlorosis.  Iron Sulfate (FeSO4) as a soil drench or Iron sulfate plus a surfactant as a foliar spray also works.  NOTE: never spray a citrus tree during the heat of the day.  Spray very early in the morning, at dusk, or on a cloudy day. - Millet
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:48:32 PM by Millet »

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Normally the young leaves will be a much lighter green color. They should darken with age.

Thank you 😊

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:26:48 PM »
It looks like a severe Iron deficiency.  Iron deficiencies always show up on new leaves with sympoms showing some green in the leaf veins on an otherwise yellow leaf.  This problem is generally associated with, and prevalent in calcareous soils with higher soil pH. Under a severe deficiency of Fe, the leaves become light green then turning yellow or sometimes even nearly white between the veins due to reduced level of chlorophyll.  These symptoms are always prominent in the tree's young new leaves.  Fe chelates, as a foliar Fe application has been found as a quick and economical strategy to correct Fe chlorosis.  Iron Sulfate (FeSO4) as a soil drench or Iron sulfate plus a surfactant as a foliar spray also works.  NOTE: never spray a citrus tree during the heat of the day.  Spray very early in the morning, at dusk, or on a cloudy day. - Millet

Thank you ! 😊  This info is very helpful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk