Author Topic: sapote trees  (Read 6671 times)

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
sapote trees
« on: May 31, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »
Has anyone heard of a variety of White Sapote called Little Finger? I think that is what is called. I saw it on a rare tropical plant nursery website. I wanted to order one, but they were out of stock, and so I placed a wishlist item request, and then the most unbelievable thing happened, they removed the plant from their inventory. I contacted the nursery and they confirmed that some plants were removed from their online inventory because they had no current supply, and they did not know when or if their supplier would be coming trough again. They only gave a vague promise that if the plants became available again in the future that they would be reposted for sale. I have scowered the  internet and have not come up with any Sapote trees by this name and have come up empty. I came across a Suebelle at a nursery in Los Angeles, but was hesitant to pay their 75 dollar price tag. Especially when the same plant had a 32 dollar price tag on it. But they said that wasn't the price, and they wouldn't honor it. An obvious markup. The Little Finger sounded decent, now I am left to wonder if I will ever see it again.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
Re: sapote trees
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
The Suebelle and Vernon white sapotes at Mimosa in LA are $40 for a 5 gallon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
Suebelle is around 35 at Home Depot when they have stock. I think 5 gallon pot.
I haven't heard of Little Finger. Is it a yellow or green fruit?

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
I was at Mimosa in LA where they told me 75 dollars for the Suebelle. I did not accept that offer. The Little Finger was classed as a white sapote on the website that I saw

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »
I was at Mimosa in LA where they told me 75 dollars for the Suebelle. I did not accept that offer. The Little Finger was classed as a white sapote on the website that I saw

I sent one of our drivers to pick it up a Suebelle 5gal, Vernon 5gal, and a 7gal Big Jim Loquat. It came out to $130 out the door. Jose always looks a little disheveled so maybe they cut him a break  :P JK, they told me the same price over the phone.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
Well, i dont know. I asked 2 people, 75 times 2, and i was like yow. I would go back, but i live 2 hours away.😢

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
Well, if anybody has a confirmed sighting of a suebelle for 35 dollars let me know. I was just not in a mood to pay 75 for the tree that day.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
Well, if anybody has a confirmed sighting of a suebelle for 35 dollars let me know. I was just not in a mood to pay 75 for the tree that day.

Here, I found the text he sent me when he picked them up. Use this if you go there again

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
I will have to make a phone call there and let them know they blew it. I would have taken it for 40 bucks. Oh well, that sucks. I cant go back anytime soon. Some garbage.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:56 PM »
I'm going to talk to the manager at LQ Lowes to see if they can get any WS from LaVerne. I talked to the HD mangers and they told me the couldn't. If I strike out, I might ask one of our drivers to pick me up another Suebelle at Mimosa if they are the same price. We deliver into LA 6 days a week but it's kind of pain in the butt to get a truck and 53' trailer into that tiny street. If I send someone up there, you want me to grab you a white sapote if they are still $40?

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »
That would be great. I would gladly take it for 40 dollars. Thanks

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
I appreciate it. Let me know

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
A lot of people tell me that Sebelle isn't a great White Sapote.  Maybe go for Vernon, Walton, Rainbow, Malibu 3, or something else.

You can probably have one cheap if you plant a seed and just graft in a year. 

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Perhaps. I honestly have zero experience grafting trees though. I have read supposedly that it is good. I mean who knows right. That little finger variety that has disappeared into a black hole was supposed to be good too. Ive never had a sapote, like at all, so i couldnt give an opinion here

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
A lot of people tell me that Sebelle isn't a great White Sapote.  Maybe go for Vernon, Walton, Rainbow, Malibu 3, or something else.

You can probably have one cheap if you plant a seed and just graft in a year.

What attracted me to Suebelle is, isn't it known to fruit throughout most of the year if the climate is right?

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »
It is said to be a continuous producer in the more tropically inclined climates. Like perhaps parts of florida, and coastal areas of So Cal maybe

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
Called LQ Lowes, the manager Denise said LaVerne won't come out to her unless her order is at least a couple of thousand dollars worth. If I had contacted her a month ago, maybe.

Lol, called Mimosa right now. They quoted me a price of $28 for the 5 gallon but he said he was too busy to check which varieties he had in stock. I could hear all kinds of ppl in the background so I believe him. He said to call back early in the morning. I hope he doesn't change the price between now and then. From $40 to $75 down to $28, they are all over the place.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »
Yeah, those big box stores. They can be pretty stubborn. Part of running their business i suppose. Mimosa has been craking lately . They were super busy on saturday when we were there too. Doesnt explain the all over the place pricing though. They need to figure their story out

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »
They told me the original price of the tree was 90 dollars and 75 dollars was supposed to be a sale. Given that the tag said 32 dollars on it at the time it is kinda a surprise that they didnt honor that pricing . Especially after i point out that i already had seen the tag. Telling you.😲

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »
3rd year Suebelle from Lowes.. the tree has grown a lot and plenty of fruit this year.. the pictures of bigger fruit was last year.. the first fruit picture is this one..

so don't give up.. it's possible .. good luck ;D bought mine for about $30 I think..

This Year

Last Year

Last Year

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:56:30 PM by michsu »

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
Very nice. I had looked at Lowe's. They do not have them out here in my neck of the woods. I checked with a few Lowe's stores in the Riverside area, and they didn't have anything. I'm still trying. 30 bucks is a fair price.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »
I believe I got mine around between July and September.. I just took a look at my pictures..

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »
They seem to be far more common in the LA area. I can't find trees like that out here. You would not think it wouldn't be that hard, but yeah. In the 13 years I have been in this area I have yet to run across a Sapote Tree of any variety here. It is a bummer too, because I always am looking for tropical/ subtropical trees and plants.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »
3rd year Suebelle from Lowes.. the tree has grown a lot and plenty of fruit this year.. the pictures of bigger fruit was last year.. the first fruit picture is this one..

so don't give up.. it's possible .. good luck ;D bought mine for about $30 I think..

This Year

Last Year

Last Year

Nice. That thing has exploded in only 3 years.

The Suebelle I bought from Mimosa was in horrible condition. There wasn't a single healthy leaf on it. I was a little upset at the driver for picking such a poor specimen but he said they told him that was the last Suebelle left. The Vernon was in great shape. Both were a little over 2 feet above the pot and both were fruiting already. The Suebelle has since recovered beautifully in the ground and is getting bushy and a little taller. The Vernon has done the opposite, it's shooting straight up and has gained over a foot in 10 weeks. They probably would have grown more but they are under 50% shade cloth in anticipation of the super hot weather that hasn't shown up yet except for a couple of days.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »
The Home Depot near me has both Suebelle and Vernon White Sapotes in stock at the moment. Kind of surprised because I special ordered some at the next closest Home Depot over a month ago, and they still haven't called me that they've come in (I think I'll call now). They were $29.94

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk