Author Topic: Weevil Problems in seeds (in need of suggestions)  (Read 951 times)

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Weevil Problems in seeds (in need of suggestions)
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
Recently, I got some cola rostrata seeds, which all germinated. When I looked at the seeds there were holes all over them. Lo and behold some beetle like insects were falling out of them while I was rinsing the seeds off.
Cola species can live without their seeds beyond a certain point (I assume) but I wanted to know how or what I should do to make sure I can get rid of the weevils or whatever they are before they end up killing the germinated seeds or becoming an infestation.

Is there a way to know if there are larvae or eggs within the seeds? Any suggestions are appreciated.

As of right now, I’ve submerged the seeds completely but I do not think that is enough to kill them.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Re: Weevil Problems in seeds (in need of suggestions)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »
I googled it and freezing for a few days seems to be the recommended method but for sensitive seeds that seems unviable.
Perhaps a treatment with pesticide?

Here's one forum with recommendations without a freezer: https://plantvillage.psu.edu/posts/5554-bean-how-do-you-keep-weevils-from-destroying-beans-if-you-don-t-have-a-freezer

here's a little pdf from 1947 with some treatment ideas pg 24-29: https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/handle/11299/163954/mn-ext-bltn-340.pdf

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »
The freezer is a danger. I would take that route but the cola seeds are definitely tropical and could not take a hard freeze let alone a freezer. The pesticide sounds like a good idea. I’ve tried killing all the weevils as I flushed them out, but the eggs are the biggest concern. Should I pot the seeds and put them in isolation?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 03:16:37 PM »
That has happened to me before...Fresh seeds planted and died from insect larvae attacks. Maybe use bleach? I use 1:10 ratio on my aquarium plants to kill bad bacteria.

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »

I had some kenaf seeds got infested with tiny bugs, don't know if they were weevils, but I mixed the seeds with diatomacious earth in a jar and after mixing put more DE on top. I don't think any insects can live for long in that situation.  Another possibility is to soak the seed for a minute in grain alcohol, then rinse them with water and soak for awhile in water to dilute the remaining alcohol.

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 07:55:34 PM »
Bay leaves are a natural weevil deterrent, perhaps you can use them preemptively. Laurus nobilis is my preference.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk