Author Topic: Indian Mangos 2016  (Read 14090 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mangos 2016
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 12:27:05 PM »
I got my Kesar mango haul  yesterday.   I have a buddy that operates a Kesar mango plantation here in the DR. ( about 20,000 trees )  destination northern  US and/or Canadian markets.

I have already had a few, I was concerned they would be watered down, because unlike last year when we had a drought.  this season that had plenty of water and rain.   and so fay the 4 mangoes I have opened were  perfectly evenly ripe throughout , no watering down flavor, and no signs of anthracnose on the fruit. I'll see if I can get a picture up later.    he grows both the regular and "Jumbo Kesar"  they both are identical in every way except size of fruit.  Jumbo being about 50-100% larger in size.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »
Tropicdude, I think I know whom you are talking about, I believe I've seen the video with your friend and Noris Ledesma. I thought his Kesars were going to be available in the USA last year but I didn't see any in the markets. I'm hoping we will be able to taste his Kesars and Jumbo Kesars soon. I wish him and his operation the best of success!

Simon

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »
I have been enjoying Alphonso and Kesar for the last 3 weeks now. The only way I can get them is through mangozz.com. But they are excellent quality! They have either been perfectly ripe or just a couple of days from perfectly ripe. I have not been at all disappointed.

Good to hear is there any Pakistan mangos available?

I honestly didn't check. I was laser focused on the Kesar and Alphonso's :)
- Mark

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 12:53:41 PM »
Had some Banganapalli yesterday. They were very nice, far better than any Mexican import, but at the same time they don't even begin to approach greatness of top tiers like Lemon Zest. Pretty straight flavor with strong perfume smell. 
In 3 weeks Dusheri season starts. As far I'm concerned it's the king of Indian mangoes out of all mainstream Indian varieties. The most complex mango I ever had. 4 flavors in one.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
I got my Kesar mango haul  yesterday.   I have a buddy that operates a Kesar mango plantation here in the DR. ( about 20,000 trees )  destination northern  US and/or Canadian markets.

I have already had a few, I was concerned they would be watered down, because unlike last year when we had a drought.  this season that had plenty of water and rain.   and so fay the 4 mangoes I have opened were  perfectly evenly ripe throughout , no watering down flavor, and no signs of anthracnose on the fruit. I'll see if I can get a picture up later.    he grows both the regular and "Jumbo Kesar"  they both are identical in every way except size of fruit.  Jumbo being about 50-100% larger in size.

What type of quarantine treatment are they using for US export?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
I believe this is the Kesar plantation Tropicdude is referring to. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-bJ_0bh1E. I'm interested to know if the fruit will be irradiated or not. I'd love to get my hands on some non irradiated fruit.

Simon

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 07:16:05 PM »
I believe he is the same guy... Thanks for the link.

I remember the video with Norris Ledesma that Tropicdude shared. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCnW56M77Yw  It's really interesting.
Tropicadude, it would be great to see some pictures.

Simon, thanks for the detailed analysis, and side by side comparisions on the Mangoes. I really like Kesar, just a little more than Alphanso. Haven't tried Banganpalli yet. The Pakistani mangoes haven't hit our stores yet, but should be coming in soon.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2016, 03:11:24 AM »
Last year he did export ,   and used thermal treatment,  but had quality problems when they arrived.   this was caused by having fruit that were not at the same stage of ripeness, and not sorted by size properly.   in other words some fruit got over cooked.  or had some internal problems.    last years drought, and the fact it was the 1st harvest. meant the fruits were not ripening at the same stage. he had not pruned previously,  I noticed many trees with fruit and flowers simultaneously.  I think he will get everything in sync by next year.

For US market he told me they will be using radiation,    :-\    but for Canada , no treatment is needed.    as for irradiation, he told me about some special requirements and permits from the USDA, and he did get the permits.  next time I talk with him, I'll ask what particular markets they will be heading to.

meanwhile,  all fruit that is ripening now, is going to waste.  ( except what he consumes and gives to friends )  his associates do not want to sell anything locally.  he is trying to convince them to at least donate the fruit.   

Our mango festival will be in a couple weeks, I will pay him another visit,  get some pictures or video of the farm.   

[/URL]

[/URL]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:23:53 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the update Tropicdude! I wish I had the same problem as your friend with too many mangos. It is very interesting that the Jumbo Kesars really look identical to the regular Kesars except they are larger. They even have the same beak at the tip.

I'm eating 1-2 cases of Kesars a week and we have a very large Indian population here in San Diego so I hope your friend can bring his mangos to market here soon. I would assume your friend will get higher, more uniform quality fruit to market with irradiation although I still prefer non irradiated fruit.

Simon

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:18 PM »
Tropicdude, thank you for sharing the pictures. Really nice, thanks.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »
Found Banganpalli mangos in Little India (Artesia) today.  From Mangozzz... $40 for a box of 10 (limited supplies...8 boxes)  The quality of the fruit (and taste) was not as good as the kesars a few weeks ago.  But the Banganpalli's were larger than the kesars.  Some of the mangos had black spots.  The guy at Ambala was nice enough to swap bad ones out.  Heard that Banganpalli's are also at Farm Fresh, but couldn't check them out since they closed early (8pm).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:41:00 AM by wslau »
Warren

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2016, 02:24:01 AM »
I picked up 3 Kesar mangoes at a whole foods in London (plus two unknown polys from a market store)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84092060@N05/shares

The Kesar was good, on the small side.  Was it worth $4.50?  Iffy.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
Kesar mangos are on sale at Miramar Cash and Carry for $20 for a box of 11 mangos. This batch was harvested in a more ripened state and taste even better and sweeter than the earlier shipments. The mangos are mostly yellow between 50-100% yellow color on the skin and some mangos in the box are ripe to eat. The earlier shipments needed a minimum of several days to ripen.

I cut open one mango and it had a bright orange color and you can immediately smell the sweetness of the mango. It had a Brix of 21% and still had the slight bit of acidity to make it complex and aromatic. These mangos are top notch and I'll probably pick up another box tomorrow.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
I just got an email notifying me that North Indian mango season will begin soon. The shipment is expected to leave India on July 2. There will be Dussehri, Langra and Chausa.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2016, 06:25:11 PM »
Sindhri is also on sale in UK.  Bigger than Kesar and nearly just as good.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2016, 12:04:59 AM »
I'm sad to announce that Indian mango season has come to an end at Miramar cash and carry and Namaste plaza. This means that mail order is one of our last ways to get them unless you are growing them yourself. There are reports that Pakistani supermarkets may have Indian/Pakistani mangos. I would suggest calling a supermarket before making the trip to pick up Indian Mangos.

Simon

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »
since it sounds like Kesar grows well in South Florida I am thinking of buying a grafter tree.

But neither PIN nor Excalibur carry them. Any idea where I can get one?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »
Here is a top notch Indian mango of an unknown cultivar. Strong fragrant sweet, spicy with brix21. Can some one help me ID it....
it's not
Alfonso
Julie
Bombay
Graham