Author Topic: sale  (Read 10877 times)

phucvu

• View Profile
sale
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »
scala nursery in santa ana is having a sale, a grand reopening if you will, with new ownership.  the last owners were halfway into retirement it seemed so they weren't dedicated to getting more plants.  but the new ownership seems to be getting more varieties than ever before.

50% off on certain selections, 30% on others, and 20% for the rest.

i got a hasya sapodilla at ~$65 with the 20% off about 2 feet tall.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: sale
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Did they have any other Hayasas?  I have been looking for one locally but was not willing to pay the $165 I found them for at one place.

Richard

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
don't know, i probably got the one.  lots of chico, alano, but i didn't check each one.

i think most of their trees are from pine island nursery.  the grand opening is supposed to be on the 16th so they are still unloading plants from trucks.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »
phucvu,

You have the address of the nursery?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:52:52 AM »
Scala nursery  3439 West MacArthur Boulevard, Santa Ana, CA 92704
(714) 557-3404

it's opposite of the home depot.

the old owners usually open at noon, but the new guy means business, he's opening from 8 am to 4:30.

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »
I got one of the only two Hasya today, so there is only one left at least when I left. There were also quite a few Moreno, Molix and Tikal left. It is $68 after the 20% discount. All the trees actually come from Mirmosa nursery in LA. I actually saw the owner of Mirmosa when I was at Scala today. Apparently the new owner of Scala bought the plants from Mirmosa; and they even use the same gimick of raising the regular prices and giving discounts.

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »
i don't know about the plants being from mimosa or not, but the tags are from pine island nursery website.

maybe the owner of mimosa was there for the grand opening, he's somewhat of a celebrity, being a pioneer and some sort of poet/writer.

but there's no way i'll drive to east la for a tree, and the shipping plus phyto certificate is crazy for buying trees from florida.

but as of today i'll say scala is the number 1 tropical fruit tree nursery in orange county.  i went to roger meyer's the other day, while impressed with the trees he was able to grow in ground, i wasn't impressed with the trees he had for sale--but he did say he's starting anew because his best specimens were sold.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
interesting....I'll drop by and check them out.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
I saw this thread too late. I would have gone shopping there on the weekend. Or maybe I should go to Mimosa instead since that's closer

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
That's where I got my sweetheart lychee and hasya sapodilla trees!!  The new owner said Mimosa LA supplied all the trees for her.

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
new owner is a woman?

is she the one with the notebook and calculator?

she told me any discount over the stated discounted price would be out of her own pocket.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
They all carried notebooks and calculators so I have no ideas who you're referring to.  But the new owner is a skinny, younger lady.  She told me it's her family business and that the Mimosa's owner coached her right now, as she doesn't know much about fruit trees at this time.  Every questions I asked, she directed me to other people!! 

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
That's where I got my sweetheart lychee and hasya sapodilla trees!!  The new owner said Mimosa LA supplied all the trees for her.

How much did you pay for sweetheart?

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »

How much did you pay for sweetheart?

$140 (20% off from the list price $180) for a 20g tree.  It comes with lots of young fruits on it.

Is that a reasonable price?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:12:51 PM by MMMMommy »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
I would say so, that is definitely a very good price given what it costs to get it shipped to CA from FL

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
I would say so, that is definitely a very good price given what it costs to get it shipped to CA from FL

It seems so to me, too.  When we paid for the tree, two employees who worked there mentioned that they might have made mistake and put a wrong price on the tree because $140 is "too cheap" for a lychee tree that size.  They honored it, but didn't look too happy, especially when all 4 trees (the 20g size) they had on the lot at that time were purchased at once (1 by me, and 3 by another buyers), but we all paid for them at the same time.

PhucVu, do you know if the hasya sapodilla we bought there was a grafted or airlayered tree?.   I'm worried because it looks too small & too fragile right now...

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
I just called them and they said 15 Gal is $150, and said 20% off, not sure that is already priced into it or on top of it. I will be going there today to check it out.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »
I just called them and they said 15 Gal is $150, and said 20% off, not sure that is already priced into it or on top of it. I will be going there today to check it out.

I think you'll get 20% off of $150.  When there, I saw that the 20g was tagged $180 & the 15g was tagged $150.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
what was the plant size difference between 15G and 20G, just out of curiousity. Sometimes plants are bigger in smaller size pots as the nursery has not relocated them into bigger pots OR bigger pot plants were just upgraded from smaller ones.  any clue?

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »
when i was there only 1 lady, rest were dudes.

the sapodilla is grafted.  the seedlings at roger meyer 4 years and 1 foot tall.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »

I think you'll get 20% off of $150.  When there, I saw that the 20g was tagged $180 & the 15g was tagged $150.

You got a steal there and now they want their money back via asking insane prices from others. They got a lot of 20 gal plants of Sweetheart Lychee but want $325 and are offering 20% off. No thanks! 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »
How large was the 20gallon Sweetheart lychee?  I have a friend looking for a larger Sweetheart.  Thanks,
Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »
about 8 foot from ground to the top, but none of them had any good canopy. there was one that I really liked and it had a very nice canoly but height was around 3 feet of so. It appeared more so that larger branches wre airlayered instead of plants growing after airlayering.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »

You got a steal there and now they want their money back via asking insane prices from others. They got a lot of 20 gal plants of Sweetheart Lychee but want $325 and are offering 20% off. No thanks!

What?? Really??  That's not right!!! I know they told me they might have placed to wrong price tag on the 20g, but by that much??  It's crazy!

Did you end up buying anything?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »
No, I did not buy as its against my rules to spend that much on one tree and have no warranty. I did taste their persian mullberry and  I am telling you its one heck of a fruit, damn, my fingers were in blood within seconds of picking one, very sweet, juicy, and seedless. I have pakistani mullberry which is supposedly even better than persian one.  But their prices were quite high, $110, less 20% for it.

Everything else I was not impressed with. I think they are marking up high and discounting big to attract.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
No, I did not buy as its against my rules to spend that much on one tree and have no warranty. I did taste their persian mullberry and  I am telling you its one heck of a fruit, damn, my fingers were in blood within seconds of picking one, very sweet, juicy, and seedless. I have pakistani mullberry which is supposedly even better than persian one.  But their prices were quite high, $110, less 20% for it.

Everything else I was not impressed with. I think they are marking up high and discounting big to attract.

I've never tasted persian or pakistani mulberry.. but my neighbor has a wild mulberry tree and I'm not a fan of the fruit.  If their tastes are anything similar than I don't think I'll miss it :)

I tasted a strange fruit there for the first time, too.   The fruit is black, conpletely round & about a bubble gumball in size.  It's sweet, but not too sweet & have 3 small seeds.  Do you know what it's called?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
I tasted a strange fruit there for the first time, too.   The fruit is black, conpletely round & about a bubble gumball in size.  It's sweet, but not too sweet & have 3 small seeds.  Do you know what it's called?

Is it a jaboticaba? Looks sort of like a shiny grape usually with thick skin.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »

Is it a jaboticaba? Looks sort of like a shiny grape usually with thick skin.

I thought so at first, but the fruits are formed at the tip of the branch, not on the branch like Jaboticaba.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk