Author Topic: Picking Cara Cara  (Read 1659 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Picking Cara Cara
« on: November 07, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
Starting to pick Cara Cara navel oranges today.  Some of the fruit on the south side of the tree are now completely orange, while the north side fruit are still green.  This tree is about 11 ft. tall and the same wide - Millet

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Picking Cara Cara
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »
Nice!

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
11ft tall - How old is your tree?  Do you know what rootstock it's on?

I just picked up a Cara Cara from Harris, but it's really tiny.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »
Sonny, I'm not exactly sure how old the Cara Cara is, perhaps 15+ years old.  The tree was planted in the ground some years back inside my greenhouse, but I've forgotten in what year. It is a grafted tree growing on Flying Dragon rootstock.  In fact every citrus tree that I have (20+-) are grafted on Flying Dragon rootstocks. I was out looking at the Cara Cara this afternoon and most every fruit on the tree is now starting to get some yellow coloring to it. - Millet
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:08:40 PM by Millet »

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »
My (6) year old Cara Cara om C-35 (standard) root stock is only about 6-7 feet tall with light production of fruit every year. At least in my case this is a slow grower with modest fruit production at best. In contrast my 10-11 year old Washington Navel on semi dwarf trifoliate root stock is 10+ feet tall and has excellent production most years (it tends to be alternate bearing to a degree). The growth rate and fruit production on my Washington Navel seems much higher than that of the Cara Cara pink navel.

Johnny