Author Topic: What quality pineapple will a 2nd generation top produce?  (Read 1602 times)

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
What quality pineapple will a 2nd generation top produce?
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:56:51 AM »
I just harvested my first pineapple from a store bought pineapple top.  It's obviously much much smaller than the original pineapple (4.5 inches) with a really nice healthy looking top.  If I re-plant this top will the fruit be even smaller than the fruit I just harvested?  Will the fruit keep getting smaller and smaller the more you re-plant successive generations of tops?

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: What quality pineapple will a 2nd generation top produce?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »
No. I started my pineapples from store bought tops 7 years ago. They were not much smaller and I had big pineapples from the same plant next year and next. The mother plant will produce new plants and they will give you normal size fruit. Some of my pineapples were smaller this year but they were the sweetest and since I have many of them I don't mind.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
Pineapples are heavy feeders so to get big ones you have to "pump them up".

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:12:31 AM »
Thanks much!  I'll re-plant the new top and wait a few more years.  :)  BTW my homegrown pineapple was absolutely the sweetest most flavorful pineapple I've ever eaten...fantastic!

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »
Will the fruit keep getting smaller and smaller the more you re-plant successive generations of tops?

No. As mentioned by others, every time you plant a crown you "reset" the clock. But you also reset it to zero, and crowns take a long time to fruit.

Did your mother plant grow any suckers or slips? Those will fruit much faster than will a crown.

I'm still lacking data on whether a sucker or slip [growing off the mother plant] will grow a fruit as big as its mother plant, and whether it's better to twist off an re-plant suckers and slips, or whether to just let them grow in place. I have a mother plant growing two large side-suckers right now; I'm tempted to run a little science experiment to see how they do.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:11:45 PM by TheWaterbug »
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »
Also depends on variety some get fruit within a year some take 18 months some longer, depends on how you grow also with weather since that also has a factor

jako9403

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »
Industrial pineapples/Grocery store won’t leave a fantastic pineapple. I’d say go for some heirloom varieties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk