Author Topic: Ross Sapote or Canistel?  (Read 32427 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Sapote or Canistel?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »
Until recently most Ross Sapotes grown here in my neck of the woods were seedlings.Seedlings still dominate at local nurseries.There is some variation in color at the ripe stage,moisture level and size but the flavor seems to be good with all.Most look like those in Oscars photo with a bunch of them.My original confusion is due to desciptions of Ross in Florida not accommodating the variation.Also some of the small spherical canistels with dark squat seeds and moist flesh.Looking at the 2 in my yard I reckon they must be separate species.

BMc I wonder if the bats would favor the moist canistels over the dry fleshed ones? 

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »

BMc I wonder if the bats would favor the moist canistels over the dry fleshed ones?

They generally prefer whatever is easier to get at. There is a big aurea canistel in the open 40ft from the Ross, but they do more damage to the smaller tree with smaller fruit in a harder spot to get to.

natsgarden123

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
So my tree has been in the ground for about a year - it is a very very slow grower..
Anyone else locally have this tree in the ground?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »
I have a 'Ross' in the ground, about 15' tall, and slender. 
Har

natsgarden123

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
How long have u had it planted?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »

Sorry about the bad picture but my rosssapote has its first flowers.They are sparsely spread and back along twigs from the growing tips.About half are singles and the other half have 2 flowers coming from the one point.
Mike ,
Do you know how long took hours to flower/ how tall it is?
El verde es vida!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »
I don't remember.
Har

SocalTropics

• LA County
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »
Any idea how many years for canistel or ross sapote fruits from seed?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »
It pumps out the fruit like a machine now and has had ripe fruit in most seasons,Seedling Ross and canistel can take 4 years to fruit or as long as 7,marcots 2 to 3 years and I presume the same for grafted trees.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »
Do Ross Sapote and Canistels have the same season?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »
In most places they have the same season which will be over about 3/4 months.In my area and with my Ross fruiting 3 times a year at odd times and the canistel fruting mostly in winter they are different.I see canistel for sale in the markets over the coolest and driest 6 months of the year but this is a tropical climate.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 04:35:47 PM »
Good to know, thanks.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
It pumps out the fruit like a machine now and has had ripe fruit in most seasons,Seedling Ross and canistel can take 4 years to fruit or as long as 7,marcots 2 to 3 years and I presume the same for grafted trees.

I have one 8 years old , been flowering for 3 , no fruit set so far . I really don't remember the variety ( from seed ) but if I planted it it must have been good . I am not even sure if it is canistel or ross , is there a difference in the leaves ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
I have one 8 years old , been flowering for 3 , no fruit set so far . I really don't remember the variety ( from seed ) but if I planted it it must have been good . I am not even sure if it is canistel or ross , is there a difference in the leaves ?

Aparently not, but I have never put them under a microscope. Maye under the microscope you could see differences...

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »
My first time fruiting a Canistel.  When to pick?  I wonder if this is the first USDA Certified Organic Ross Sapote?  Thanks

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »
Turns fully yellow when ready to pick.
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
Cut it off at stem after turning yellow. This will allow fruit to ripen indoors until really soft without splitting.

Puerco_Gringo

• Patrick SFB, FL, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2019, 01:00:40 PM »
Hello all.  Thanks for resurrecting this old post!  I have a question related to Canistel, and I wanted to try here before creating a separate post.  I am told there are Canistel fruit, which most closely resemble the taste of Lucuma (Pouteria Lucuma), originally from South America.  As there are so many varieties of Canistel, which would be best?  As for the Lucuma fruit, it tastes like a sweet potato, ranges from dry to moist flesh, and makes excellent desserts, especially ice cream.  Since it will mainly be a dessert ingredient, taste would be most important, with moisture content not being very important.  Thanks in advance!

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
I’ve heard Ora, also known as TREC, is a very good Canistel. Have one planted but it isn’t mature yet.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2019, 10:37:09 PM »
I recently got and planted a ‘Trompo’ Canistel from Excalibur Nursery. Also considered: ‘Fairchild’ (1 & 2), ‘Aurea’ and ‘Aru’ (I guess it could be the same thing as Aurea).

I’ve learned that the taste of the ‘Fairchild’ (#1 or #2?) is near glorious. But, I rejected because it’s not as productive as ‘Trompo.’

I didn’t have enough info on the productivity and quality of ‘Aurea..’

I have a ‘Ross’ and I love the taste of the fruit. I’m pleased with the production. But, I consider the fruit size to be not serious. If the ‘LargeRoss’ variety mentioned on this Thread were to be propagated and available at my location in South Florida, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »
I take back what I said about the ‘Ross Sapote’ Fruit size not being serious. I’v had my grafted ‘Ross Sapote’ planted for about 5 years. And, this its first year ever where the fruit size is surprisingly and agreeably adequate (see photo). I’m quite pleased with this since I find the Quality of the ‘Ross Sapote’ as Excellent.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2019, 03:05:57 AM »
Size of a fruit often depends on how well you feed the plants, quality of soil, and overall health of the plant, not just genetics. I notice also that as plants get older they get better established and tend to naturally produce larger fruits. But even in same crop there will be wide array of differently sized fruits.
Oscar

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2020, 06:42:48 AM »
Ross Sapote season has started here.  I love Ross Sapote, it’s definitely 1 of my many favorites.  Some of our trees have started to produce well.

Mike you get 3 crops per year from Ross?  Does anyone else get multiple crops at their location?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2020, 06:55:36 AM »
I was young and stupid when I started that thread and now I'm old and stupid I am still trying to figure out this question. Yes the Ross usually has 3 crops a year.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
I was young and stupid when I started that thread and now I'm old and stupid I am still trying to figure out this question. Yes the Ross usually has 3 crops a year.
Me 2.  I bought my 1st Ross Sapote 8 yrs. ago after reading your stupid post, this tree still hasn’t fruited.  I sold that property and started over 4.5 yrs ago planted about 15 here, some are fruiting, more are flowering.  They require supplemental water here at times but are worth it. 

Do they come true from seed?  How many years to fruit from seed?  I start all our Ross seeds.