Author Topic: Pineapple Pleasure and Pina Colada  (Read 2234 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Pineapple Pleasure and Pina Colada
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »
How do these two match up?  How similar in flavor are they?  Is one clearly superior to the other?  Do they ripen at the same time?  What about tree and growth charactersitics?
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Pineapple Pleasure and Pina Colada
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
Pina Colada is a less vigorous tree. They do taste different, with PP having a much stronger Pineapple and acid component. PC is richer, and will make you sick if you eat too many. PP is also a much larger fruit with better flesh to seed ratio. Both have awful disease resistance at the bloom stage, and make ugly looking fruit (not that that matters).

PP also seems to have a problem with abscising fruits that are up to baseball size. A shame because it's outstanding flavor.

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
This year the Pina Colada made a HUGH bloom, but set zero fruit. Nearly all of the flowers were male and the 3 or 4  tiny fertilized baby fruit that got pollinated fell off from powdery mildew. A slightly smaller bloom has started now and all the first flowers to open have perfect flowers. I haven't found a male one yet. Also there is no trace of powdery mildew or disease. Maybe the second bloom had different hormones triggered? I hope I get some fruit this time.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:34 PM »
This year the Pina Colada made a HUGH bloom, but set zero fruit. Nearly all of the flowers were male and the 3 or 4  tiny fertilized baby fruit that got pollinated fell off from powdery mildew. A slightly smaller bloom has started now and all the first flowers to open have perfect flowers. I haven't found a male one yet. Also there is no trace of powdery mildew or disease. Maybe the second bloom had different hormones triggered? I hope I get some fruit this time.

How old is your tree?
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
My PC tree has a lot of little bb sized fruits, but it gets sprayed with fungicides every 2 weeks.
Jeff  :-)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
Every bloom on my PC died do to PM. I didn't realize that it was so susceptible, hoping for a second bloom but I doubt it. 

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
Pina Colada has been a disaster for me in So Cal, it does not want to even take, let alone grow. Anyone in So Cal being able to grow and fruit? what are key points to note?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »
Pina Colada has been a disaster for me in So Cal, it does not want to even take, let alone grow. Anyone in So Cal being able to grow and fruit? what are key points to note?

Yes, Gary from Palm Spings but his tree looked horrible last year.....it looked like it was ready to kick the bucket

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
This will be its third year. The first year it didn't bloom. The second year it had another big bloom with very few perfect flowers that got powdery mildew and dropped the very few tiny fruits that got pollinated. I am hopeful for this year.

The tree did grow very well last year. Even though there were several flushes of new growth, it stayed compact.

How old is your tree?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:24:16 PM by amberroses »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »
This will be its third year. The first year it didn't bloom. The second year it had another big bloom with very few perfect flowers that got powdery mildew and dropped the very few tiny fruits that got pollinated. I am hopeful for this year.

The tree did grow very well last year. Even though there were several flushes of new growth, it stayed compact.

How old is your tree?

Still probably a little on the young side.  It should start to really improve by year five.
- Rob