Author Topic: should i let it hold fruit?  (Read 1460 times)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
should i let it hold fruit?
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »
i want to know if i should let my pickering and nam doc mai #4 hold fruit this year. with the temps being higher than normal for my area i am tempted to keep a fruit or two on each, but don't want to stunt the growth for next year. thoughts?

pickering is about 6'x6'

nam doc mai is about 6'x4'

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: should i let it hold fruit?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:44:58 AM »
One or two fruit should be OK with the plant sizes you listed. I had full size fruit on NDM and Pickering after two years in the ground. How long have the trees been planted?
Richard

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
Pickering,  you could.  The NDM,  I wouldn't.   I would pull up some of the grass around the trunk of the NDM.   You should have a clean ring out at least three feet from the trunk.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »
i want to know if i should let my pickering and nam doc mai #4 hold fruit this year. with the temps being higher than normal for my area i am tempted to keep a fruit or two on each, but don't want to stunt the growth for next year. thoughts?

merce3, can you please add your city and state to your profile as well please. Thanks!

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
One or two fruit should be OK with the plant sizes you listed. I had full size fruit on NDM and Pickering after two years in the ground. How long have the trees been planted?

thanks. i am located in trinity, fl (just north of tampa) so i want to make sure i don't set myself up for failure.

Pickering,  you could.  The NDM,  I wouldn't.   I would pull up some of the grass around the trunk of the NDM.   You should have a clean ring out at least three feet from the trunk.

thanks i think i will play it safe... is that because pickering is more vigorous? i plan to take care of the grass in a few weeks before i lay down some mulch.

merce3, can you please add your city and state to your profile as well please. Thanks!

done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk