Author Topic: Blueberry thread  (Read 13978 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Blueberry thread
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
Looking to make a Bush Border that can be neatly hedged or cut to isolate my Side yard....Figured if I'm going to grow about 20 bushes in a line....might as well be edible Blueberry bushes.

Guys what's the best of the best flavored Blueberry varieties?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberry thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »
Looking to make a Bush Border that can be neatly hedged or cut to isolate my Side yard....Figured if I'm going to grow about 20 bushes in a line....might as well be edible Blueberry bushes.

Claymango,

Sweet Crisp is reported to be the best tasting large berry and low chill. However Sunshine Blue does very well with higher PH water and less then optimal soil, it produces medium sized berries with good flavor. Emerald and Gem are also two very good low chill berries that would be close to Sweet Crisp in size and flavor.

I grew Emerald and Sunshine blue. Emerald produced excellent size berries with good taste, however it was more finicky with the higher PH water and took a little extra care to make it happy. Btw, Emerald, Gem, and Sweet Crisp have a larger more upright growth habit. Sunshine blue is more compact and dwarf growth habit.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:44:03 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
I don't know about California but out here in NC blueberries don't make a very full bush, they wouldn't block out much. They are pretty and well worth growing but I don't think they would work well as a screen. I grow all different varieties because each year the weather is different and one variety will perform better than the rest and each year it is a different variety. 'Oneal' is my favorite because it fruits early and for a long time and the flavor is great no matter how hot it gets.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
I don't know about California but out here in NC blueberries don't make a very full bush, they wouldn't block out much. They are pretty and well worth growing but I don't think they would work well as a screen. I grow all different varieties because each year the weather is different and one variety will perform better than the rest and each year it is a different variety. 'Oneal' is my favorite because it fruits early and for a long time and the flavor is great no matter how hot it gets.

I was shooting for about 3-4 feet in height, maybe 3 feet wide.

My unknown Blueberry Bush from Home Depot has a height of 3-4 feet listed on the tag description, which is where I originally got this luny idea of making an edible blueberry bush border.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:47:44 PM »
Clay, get the rabbiteye varieties if you want size. The southern highbush that most of us grow here are smaller.

I like O'Neill also and I have sharp blue, misty, and another common one.
For the tart fruit lovers, Jubilee would be good. I will stay away from it myself.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »

Claymango,

Sweet Crisp is reported to be the best tasting large berry and low chill. However Sunshine Blue does very well with higher PH water and less then optimal soil, it produces medium sized berries with good flavor. Emerald and Gem are also two very good low chill berries that would be close to Sweet Crisp in size and flavor.

I grew Emerald and Sunshine blue. Emerald produced excellent size berries with good taste, however it was more finicky with the higher PH water and took a little extra care to make it happy. Btw, Emerald, Gem, and Sweet Crisp have a larger more upright growth habit. Sunshine blue is more compact and dwarf growth habit.

ty Null,

I'm on the Hunt!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
Clay,
   My opinion; Ditch the blueberry idea. Try something that will be more drought tolerant and happy planted in the ground and more appreciative of your hot summer sun! There are good threads to search for hedge / bush rows and I think you will be rewarded with happier plants and more fruit than in ground blueberries there.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
Clay,
   My opinion; Ditch the blueberry idea. Try something that will be more drought tolerant and happy planted in the ground and more appreciative of your hot summer sun! There are good threads to search for hedge / bush rows and I think you will be rewarded with happier plants and more fruit than in ground blueberries there.

This is true, I would do the blueberries in containers. And put things like Prickly Pear and Cereus sp. in the ground. Blueberries produce nice yields in containers and use less water, you can even make an SWC type container.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:30:29 PM »
Okay, the above suggestions make good sense. I would add figs and grapes but I guess there's already a lot of grapes in your area. Opuntia cactus would be good for low maintenance.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
Hmmm, this hedge idea of mine would make a border along my side yard which connects to the public side walk going all the way down. i wanted to seperate the sidewalk and my side yard by this this low growing bush adding a nice decorative theme  as myself and everyone else on my Cul de sac can enjoy as they walk to the mailbox. My side yard is very ornamental  with ice plants going up the slope all the way to the top of my fence line. I also have 10 Rose Trees that border my side yard with 7-8ft spacing. The blueberry bushes would go right along in the gaps between the rose trees closing in the border. This slope also houses the famouse double blossom Red baron and Saturn peach tree, which is arguably the most showy of all fruit trees. so I would like to keep this semi Eye catching theme going... I'm not a  fan of Tuna and I dont want any kids playing near the side walk getting priked....are there any other nice bushes that give off great fruit?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Cocoplum maybe?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
Cocoplum maybe?

Nullz I'm really gunning for this Blue berry bush Border...my mind is set lol...my slope receives regualr watering in the Spring and Sumerr from irrigation, so I'm not worried about low yeilds. Not to mention a border of about 20 blueberry bushes should easily be enough to blend some smoothies and enjoy some fresh hand picked berrys...and that's factoring all 12 homes on my cul de sac raiding about half of the bushes fruit.

Now can anyone break down the Rabbit Eye varieties and the Southern High Bush varieties and which is better?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
Cocoplum maybe?

Nullz I'm really gunning for this Blue berry bush Border...my mind is set lol...my slope receives regualr watering in the Spring and Sumerr from irrigation, so I'm not worried about low yeilds. Not to mention a border of about 20 blueberry bushes should easily be enough to blend some smoothies and enjoy some fresh hand picked berrys...and that's factoring all 12 homes on my cul de sac raiding about half of the bushes fruit.

Now can anyone break down the Rabbit Eye varieties and the Southern High Bush varieties and which is better?

You want berries dont even bother with the Rabbit Eye. You need low chill Southern High Bush. Anything with a recommend chill hours below 400. Sweet crisp is top notch if you can find one, Gem, and Jewel excellent which I said earlier. Sunshine blue is going to healthier with the irrigation high ph tap water. I would get all 4 and mix them in if you are looking for 20 plants. 5 of each if you could find them.

The Sweet Crisp, Jewel, and Gem. May need to use some sulfur to lower the ph of the soil to make the plants happy. Here is a good read up on using sulfur for blueberries;

http://blueberries.msu.edu/uploads/files/Lowering_Soil_pH_with_Sulfur.pdf

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »
Cocoplum maybe?

You want berries dont even bother with the Rabbit Eye. You need low chill Southern High Bush. Anything with a recommend chill hours below 400. Sweet crisp is top notch if you can find one, Gem, and Jewel excellent which I said earlier. Sunshine blue is going to healthier with the irrigation high ph tap water. I would get all 4 and mix them in if you are looking for 20 plants. 5 of each if you could find them.

The Sweet Crisp, Jewel, and Gem. May need to use some sulfur to lower the ph of the soil to make the plants happy. Here is a good read up on using sulfur for blueberries;

http://blueberries.msu.edu/uploads/files/Lowering_Soil_pH_with_Sulfur.pdf

sounds like a plan, I think those different varieties will also extend my seaosn with some of them being early and mid season berrys!!!

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 07:02:49 AM »
Hi,

I have a question regarding blueberry. I found a source for low-chill blueberry who is willing to send them oversea. My question is, should I buy a cutting or rooted cutting ?.

Thanks
Moh'd

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »
You would want to buy small tissue cultured plants. Potentially you may be able to fruit it using shade cloth and irrigation.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

Do you know where I can get Tissue cultured blueberry ?.
Moh'd

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
You would want to buy small tissue cultured plants. Potentially you may be able to fruit it using shade cloth and irrigation.

Nullz, do you have any sources or Socal nurseries with these SHB varieties?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »

Agristarts is one of the main nurseries that supplies TC plants. They don't sell directly, I think they just do wholesale orders to growers and nurseries. These nurseries I believe sell the TC plants from Agristarts;

wellspring gardens TC blueberries: http://wellspringgardens.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=blueberry

Florida Hill TC blueberries ; http://www.floridahillnursery.com/blueberry-plants-vaccinium-c-34?zenid=q4i45s87qdkbs57mhtn5ujcfn7

No idea if they ship international.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »

Agristarts is one of the main nurseries that supplies TC plants. They don't sell directly, I think they just do wholesale orders to growers and nurseries. These nurseries I believe sell the TC plants from Agristarts;

wellspring gardens TC blueberries: http://wellspringgardens.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=blueberry

Florida Hill TC blueberries ; http://www.floridahillnursery.com/blueberry-plants-vaccinium-c-34?zenid=q4i45s87qdkbs57mhtn5ujcfn7

No idea if they ship international.

Thank for your help, Nullzero.

I'll contact them right away.  ;)
Moh'd

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »
So I found Sweet Crisp and Emerald on Florida Hills Nursery website.... They have about a  dozen or more High Bush varieties, many from FSU... can anyone chime in on the other  varieties they have.  http://www.floridahillnursery.com/blueberry-plants-vaccinium-c-34

Springhigh
Snowchaser
Misty
Darrow
Primadonnna
Springwide
windser
Scientilla
legacy 
palmetto
jewel
abundance
blue crop
blueray
Summmer  sunset

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 06:46:16 AM »
Clay,
If you are you going to be irrigating with tap/sprinkler system water you might want to try an experimental bush first.  Otherwise you maybe looking at death row.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:10 AM »
Clay,
If you are you going to be irrigating with tap/sprinkler system water you might want to try an experimental bush first.  Otherwise you maybe looking at death row.

Uh ohhh....The reason being?

I currently have one Blueberry, I believe rabbit eye that seems  to do well on the  sprinkler

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
I went ahead and pulled the trigger and grabbed 15 plants  for now.... 5 Sweet crisp, 5 Emerald, and 5 jewels.... All 3 are Southern High Bush and grow to 4-6 feet which is much taller then the original border I had planned....Does anyone know the width, how wide these plants get?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »

I currently have one Blueberry, I believe rabbit eye that seems  to do well on the  sprinkler
Then maybe you are fine.  I posted about this in another thread.  I was told, and have no first hand evidence, but sounds logical to me....
That blueberries need beneficial fungus.  The chlorine in tap water will kill fungus.  The pH issue with water is also a known issue.
If you already have success, then may not apply to you.
I think they are many factors here, maybe if the pH is on the edge of desired for the blueberries then benefical fungus could fill the gap of nutrient uptake.
I just installed carbon filtration on my blueberry plants and hit them with bene-fungi.  Some (small) plants died last year and others languished.  We shall see if there is a marked difference this year.
Good luck to us both.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »

Then maybe you are fine.  I posted about this in another thread.  I was told, and have no first hand evidence, but sounds logical to me....
That blueberries need beneficial fungus.  The chlorine in tap water will kill fungus.  The pH issue with water is also a known issue.
If you already have success, then may not apply to you.
I think they are many factors here, maybe if the pH is on the edge of desired for the blueberries then benefical fungus could fill the gap of nutrient uptake.
I just installed carbon filtration on my blueberry plants and hit them with bene-fungi.  Some (small) plants died last year and others languished.  We shall see if there is a marked difference this year.
Good luck to us both.

Yeah I think I'm good, I'll post pictures of my Home Depot Blueberry bush on it's second year fruiting.....very good berries off the bush! I just have to get to them before my dogs do!

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »
If you got your BB's from Florida Hill they are known for sending the wrong varieties out. There was a big thread on Garden Web about it.

Sunshine Blue does better than my other blueberries (CA tap water). I would mix some wet peat moss into the native soil and soil sulfer for in ground. I grow mine in raised bed of peat/pathway bark.

Feijoa would make a good hedgerow, not a total screen but the BB's won't make a total screen either...

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 10:58:49 AM »
If you got your BB's from Florida Hill they are known for sending the wrong varieties out. There was a big thread on Garden Web about it.

Sunshine Blue does better than my other blueberries (CA tap water). I would mix some wet peat moss into the native soil and soil sulfer for in ground. I grow mine in raised bed of peat/pathway bark.

Feijoa would make a good hedgerow, not a total screen but the BB's won't make a total screen either...

Just looking for a 3-4 foot edible but semi  elegant border to isolate my side yard from the sidewalk.....

shit!!! I hope they send me the correct varieties

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
Highbush is definitely the winner if you want a hedge.

I have a variety which has been in the family more than 200yrs, and was originally grown in Georgia and transplanted here.  The one in my back yard is the only known one left.   It stands about 18 feet tall, and is thick and happy.  The berries are the largest and best tasting blueberries I've ever tried.  We get so many pounds off the one bush each year that even after giving basket after basket away, half the berries still fall to the ground for the birds and fruit mulch.

I may give this bush a name and offer scions.  It is a whole new world of blueberry.

That said, due to its growing nature as a Highbush, Im pretty sure you could hedge other high bushes well the way you are desiring.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »
Highbush is definitely the winner if you want a hedge.

I have a variety which has been in the family more than 200yrs, and was originally grown in Georgia and transplanted here.  The one in my back yard is the only known one left.   It stands about 18 feet tall, and is thick and happy.  The berries are the largest and best tasting blueberries I've ever tried.  We get so many pounds off the one bush each year that even after giving basket after basket away, half the berries still fall to the ground for the birds and fruit mulch.

I may give this bush a name and offer scions.  It is a whole new world of blueberry.

That said, due to its growing nature as a Highbush, Im pretty sure you could hedge other high bushes well the way you are desiring.

Please post  pictures!!! wow that bush is has some history!!! please show it to the forum.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 04:55:05 AM »
I certainly will.  It is in full bloom right now.  Will gather some photos this morning.

Other than pruning dead branches, I've done nothing to it.  No fertilizer, no training, no mulch and no care.

It is fully pest, disease, soil, nematode and weather (hot, cold, humid, drought, sun, shade) resistant.  Self-pollinating and extremely prolific.

The only complication is the berries do not form in clusters, but rather all over the entire bush.

It grows in the following fashion:  2 years prolific; 1 year less prolific and more foliage.  Last year was its growth season, so this year it will make 3x more berries than we can manage.

The local markets have begged us for scions, because no locally grown blueberry comes close in taste and size.  We've held it close, though.  I may consider sharing it real soon.  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:57:26 AM by Viking Guy »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
Adding some photos of the Blueberry "tree."

Bloom clusters up close.  Since clusters are small and widespread, I think this contributes to the blueberries being so large.

Panoramic view of the trunks and sprouts.

Pick handfuls until you're tired.

I will usually enjoy a cup of them for breakfast. ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:45:46 AM by Viking Guy »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
Just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
Now, I need to come up with a name for it and patent a variety.  Wouldn't know the first thing about it though.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
Amazing Blueberry " tree" Viking Guy. Thanks for posting pictures and by the description you should definately propagate in whatever manner you see fit. Just keep that heirloom variety going!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
Since almost every root stock variety locally succumbs to nematodes within 1-3 yrs of planting, I think my best solution here would be to air layer this.

I have left all the larger suckers on the tree as well, because it fruits on both new and old wood.  Each new cane sports berries on the following year.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
Just ordered Snow chasers, another UF BB variety. both Sweet crisp and Snowchaser have the highest flavor rating according to UF, plus Snow Chaser is the earliest of all the BB vareties they have created, hence the name snow chaser.

Hunting Raven now, another UF creation that is late season so I can max the season out.