Author Topic: Mango stem damage?  (Read 1391 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Mango stem damage?
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
Hi.
I'd like to say that i discovered recently a damage on the stem of my mango, but quite frankly, i can't. This deformation on the stem apparently has proceded for quite some time, but i really can't understand when it started, and it goes so slowly that i can't understand if it stil going on. The only think i know is that some part of the stem, under the bark, seems whitered and shrivelled, like if it is "sucked out". As you can see it in the picture, seems that under the bark something is going on, but i don't want to remove the bark away because if i'm wrong, i can do some serious damage to the plant.
I wondered if someone has esperienced something similiar: the plant above the damage seems to feel good, i wondered if it can be a dieback of the cambium due the the fact i removed the structure (the damge is on the south side of the stem) and the sun can have scorched the stem (i have had some minors scorchs on leaves). But yet it can be some fungine/bacterial/parasitic disease, or some kind of cold damage from the winter showing just now, and i'd like to hear your opinions.

Too bad the damage is below the grafting point.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk