Author Topic: Tommy hass  (Read 1208 times)

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Tommy hass
« on: June 16, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »
Here’s an update of a seedling hass my father planted. The top was cut off to control the height but it’s still pushing 15ft tall. It was knocked over by a hurricane a couple of years ago but I think that actually did it a favor, because it really took off after that. It’s loaded with fruit and I don’t see another avocado tree in the neighborhood so maybe it’s self fertile somewhat. It’s a good creamy fruit.

Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy hass
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »
Nice tree.  The fruit ripens evenly soft?  And you don't get any black spots?  What month does it ripen, and how long can you keep fruit on the tree?
John

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 04:19:44 PM »
Nice tree.  The fruit ripens evenly soft?  And you don't get any black spots?  What month does it ripen, and how long can you keep fruit on the tree?

No ripening issues or black spots. The fruits starts ripening around September and stays on until October to November. It’s has a little sweetness and is creamy.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:29:46 AM »
Ok, I'm going to PM you late September, early October.  I'll drive up for some samples.  Sound good?
John

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
Ok, I'm going to PM you late September, early October.  I'll drive up for some samples.  Sound good?

That’s good. A few members have tried it and got some wood.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 06:15:41 AM »

They are starting to ripen earlier this year. I forgot to fertilize this year but still lots of fruit. Fruit size is not uniform. Shelf life is quite long. You can eat at the soft green stage or wait till it’s black and the flavor can get real nutty and slightly sweet. It seems an indicator of when its ready to pick is a darkened stem.
My neighbor gave me the larger avocado that is used for a size comparison, it tastes like water.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
I have tasted this at different levels of ripeness after harvest.  From green soft to just about all black and I loved. it.  The fruits I tried were on the smaller side but they more than made up for it in flavor. 
I intend to add this to the collection.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
I drove up to WPB, and Tommy gave me a bag of these avocados to try.  His tree was loaded with hundreds of fruit--a lot that were on the small side, but some larger ones, too.  Those I left on the kitchen counter took several days to ripen, but I immediately put some hard ones in the refrigerator to ripen later.  The fruit ripened evenly, and there were no bad spots in the ripened flesh.  The skin was very thick and didn't always turn black when ripe.  The flavor was excellent--creamy, nutty, and a little sweet.  Compared to most supermarket Hass it was richer.  The only negative with this variety is the very large seed.  Overall, it's a good one for South Florida and deserves to be propagated .  Tommy said scion wood has been taken by others.

John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 11:49:40 PM »
I'd like to add that I've never tasted Super Hass, Carmen Hass, or Pickering grown in South Florida so I don't know how these compare.  I hope Weiss will give me the opportunity to try his Carmen Hass when they're ready to pick, and to anyone with one of the others I'm game!  Nishikawa is another one I'd like to taste.  (Maybe I'll change my mind about planting two WI avocado trees.  PM me, friends.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:57:10 PM by johnb51 »
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk