Author Topic: Sugar Cookie Mango  (Read 1114 times)

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
Sugar Cookie Mango
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »
In mid June last year I had a chance to drive through Okeechobee area and bought a bunch of mangos at some roadside stands, and one of the varieties I was told I got was a "Sugar Cookie" variety.  The woman claimed the tree was over 70 years old and was planted by her grandfather (and she was well over 60 years old herself) and still very productive.  She did say something about how she treated the mangos with some sort of home remedy to stop them from getting spots, which I now take is probably anthracnose after getting educated on the forum here.

Being the mango newbie, I never thought to take pictures of the fruit or get more info, but these were by far and away the sweetest mango's I've ever had.  Coloration of a Van Dyke, but shape of a Bailey's Marvel, as the kin was a right/yellow with very little green and they were small and almost circular in nature rather than oval.  Very little fibre in the mango and a bright orange color for the fruit.

I was able to germinate two of the seeds, and from what I can tell, they're polyembryonic.  Heck, before reading on the forum here I had no idea there was even a difference.

Anyway, I've tried googling that variety name but nothing comes up other than recipe's or cookies.

Does anybody have any info - or, as I'm guessing, the tree is probably from a seedling that's been in her family for years and if the tree was truly that old it parent stock was probably a turpentine?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Sugar Cookie Mango
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »

Does anybody have any info - or, as I'm guessing, the tree is probably from a seedling that's been in her family for years and if the tree was truly that old it parent stock was probably a turpentine?

Thoughts?

Thanks

It's probably just some random seedling and not an established cultivar. But if you happen to get some of the fruit again you could take photos and post them, I can usually ID them if they're a named variety.