Author Topic: my grapefruit tree is in trouble. Can someone give me some suggestions?  (Read 1569 times)

WZZM

• China
    • View Profile
Hi all. new to growing fruit trees. I noticed there are some problem with my young grapefruit tree recently. searched google for similiar problem but still can not decide what it is.  Can someone give me some suggestions?  location is usda zone 11b.
Kind of humid and hot(not hot in a extreme way)
Thanks

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: my grapefruit tree is in trouble. Can someone give me some suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »
What is that all over the trunk and branches.  Scale??

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:17:39 PM »
Terrible looking. Like Millet I want to know whats on the trunk? It looks like fungi. If that is the case I would think the tree is in the latter stages of decline. Usually accompanied by wet spots on trunk and branches that weep a sticky liquid. I dont know that I have seen a tree with that much on it. This could be phytophthora.....if it is it is an advanced case.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:38:22 PM by Bomand »

WZZM

• China
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 01:22:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Here are some more pics. The tree was  neglected for a few monthes. It's a young tree but does look scary now. I don't know what fungi look like. I use fingernail to peel the black thing a little, inside was all green thing which I don't know what it is either. Has the ship sailed?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:03:17 AM »
If this were my tree I would remove it. Dig it up removing all the roots that you can. Burn the remains, wash and sterilize any tools you use to do so. I would not plant another citrus in the hole. I am very curious as to what ails this tree. Take a chunk in a bag to your agriculture people and ask them to put a name on it. Yes I think the ship has left the port.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:27:39 AM by Bomand »

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:03:06 PM »
It definitely looks like some type of fungus. Could it be the Pink disease of citrus.
My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
Possible. Its such an advanced case of whatever.....that the symptoms are multiple and show characteristics of many problems.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »
The best treatment for this poor tree, is give it a quick death.  As Bomand wrote, I would remove the tree and either burn it, or wrap it in a large plastic bag and put it into her dumpster.  I would do it soon before it spreads to adjacent trees.    As to the above posts. pink disease originally forms a pink hyphae which later dries and fades to a  but gray color
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:47:17 PM by Millet »

WZZM

• China
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 01:27:53 AM »
Thanks everybody. Will follow your advice and dig it out and burn it instead of waiting for a miracle to happen.  Thanks again.