Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183066 times)

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #750 on: March 23, 2020, 12:31:53 AM »
There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it.

Folks here love it, says it's rich.  It produces a large fruit with a long neck.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/160547928066846/

I grew it in Corpus Christi which has a clime similar to yours, raised bed over black clay gumbo.  Did real well, fruited early, moved away when it was a 2-3 year old tree.

Mark, Do you mind to share details of your plater? It looks interesting but I could not make of size and material.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 26, 2020, 12:16:44 AM »

Hey Forum,

Very happy to say after 5 years my oro negro is finally flowering, I’m stoked though noticed much yellowing leaves. Should I be worried, is this normal behavior when flowering? My buddy has an avocado, unknown type but raging flowering and he’s got yellowing leaves too 🤷‍♂️

Joe

Congrats, that's a long time to wait for flowers. 

In CA, the leaves fall off in spring and the tree flushes new leaves.  Probably the same thing you are seeing.  The tree is using the energy to flower.  Now would be a good time to give it a little fertilizer with nitrogen and potassium and micro nutrient including zinc.

I've heard Oro negro is a late fruiter. Also took mine 5 years to make 3 flowers , following year none (transplant shock I bet), then last year many flowers and some fruit but suffered sunburn, damaged trunk, and some root problems. I'm going to stump it and see what happens. All my trees that I had in pots for many years before going in ground are showing signs of weak roots.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 26, 2020, 06:22:55 AM »
There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it.

Folks here love it, says it's rich.  It produces a large fruit with a long neck.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/160547928066846/

I grew it in Corpus Christi which has a clime similar to yours, raised bed over black clay gumbo.  Did real well, fruited early, moved away when it was a 2-3 year old tree.

Mark, Do you mind to share details of your planter? It looks interesting but I could not make of size and material.

Nothing more than scallop top concrete tree rings cemented flat sides together to form a raised bed.  My cement skills suck but it got the job done. 

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 26, 2020, 11:52:44 PM »

Look good to me.

Mark, Do you mind to share details of your planter? It looks interesting but I could not make of size and material.

Nothing more than scallop top concrete tree rings cemented flat sides together to form a raised bed.  My cement skills suck but it got the job done.

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 27, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »
Anyone growing Monroe in the Orlando area? Carlos and Pine Island Nursery have such good things to say about it but I really don't see much else talk about it or anywhere to buy it.

Sabah_2018

• USA, California, San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
Yamagata avocado in Southern California
« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2020, 03:37:50 AM »
I have a Yamagata avocado tree that I am optimistic will give me fruits this year, because the tree is about 8 feet tall and is producing lots of flowers. Does anyone know approximately when the fruits usually ripen in Southern California (San Diego specifically)?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 10, 2020, 04:20:01 AM »
And this are two seed seedling avocados from a very rare variety that one friend from Belize sent me. This avocado have purple fesh!  :o

This photos are from the original fruit that my friend took…

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 10, 2020, 04:53:38 AM »
And this are two seed seedling avocados from a very rare variety that one friend from Belize sent me. This avocado have purple fesh!  :o

This photos are from the original fruit that my friend took…

Definitely a West Indian type. I wonder about the cause of the pigmentation, maybe anthocyanins?

I have a Yamagata avocado tree that I am optimistic will give me fruits this year, because the tree is about 8 feet tall and is producing lots of flowers. Does anyone know approximately when the fruits usually ripen in Southern California (San Diego specifically)?

That's dependent on the genetic origins of the avo. West Indians ripen the same year in the fall, Mexican the following year in the winter, Guatemalan the next year in the Summer. Any hybrids will be between those numbers depending upon their respective parentage. At least that's my understanding from the reading I have done. I suspect that location may not be a factor, and therefore March-April?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 10, 2020, 05:28:57 AM »
Well i dodn't know what is causing the pigmentation... and i don't know if the fruit will be true to seed, but the seedlings are very red since the first day. If i got any fruit some day i will get the nutrition profile and analize it.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 10, 2020, 07:12:38 AM »
I recently grafted Sharwil sticks to a frozen back Oro Negro stump which is now 9' H X 8' wide, covered in flowers many yet to open and I must have 100's of BB's hanging on this thing.  Never seen the likes of it on any variety.

Sharwill last month:

Flowering/fruiting are - Ardith, GEM, Pinkerton, Sharwil, Lamb.  Reed for some odd reason is a good 6  weeks late to drop it's old flowers and put on a new flush of leaves and flowers.  Last year's fruit is doing well, about 4".

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 15, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
looking to try a Day avocado . I live in Naples Fl and want to plant another tree . Would like to try a Day and possibly a few others before planting . Any idea where I can buy some different varieties to try ? I currently have 2  Nishikawa , Oro Negro and a Brogdon . So if someone wants to swap a couple I good with that .

The Nish and Oro  are late trees . Looking for something earlier in the year .

mike

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 17, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
looking to try a Day avocado . I live in Naples Fl and want to plant another tree . Would like to try a Day and possibly a few others before planting . Any idea where I can buy some different varieties to try ? I currently have 2  Nishikawa , Oro Negro and a Brogdon . So if someone wants to swap a couple I good with that .

The Nish and Oro  are late trees . Looking for something earlier in the year .

mike

I'd go with Ettinger, a seedling of Fuerte.  Does well in the RGV (rio grande valley) which is similar to your area.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 17, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »
I wonder if those purple and red flesh avocados have gained any more cold tolerance than their parent trees (or similar trees from their bloodlines)? Usually increased amounts of anthocyanins correlate with more cold tolerance.. But then again, that purple flesh variety seems to be of the West Indian race, so any increased cold tolerance would probably be minimal. Still curious though

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 17, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »
Never heard of a Ettinger . Don't think they are very popular in south Florida . Any reason why you recommend them over the more popular Day's or Simmonds  options ? We are the same environment as Carlos in Miami .

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 17, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
My Bacon avocado full of flowers!   ;D

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 17, 2020, 07:17:34 PM »
I recently grafted Sharwil sticks to a frozen back Oro Negro stump which is now 9' H X 8' wide, covered in flowers many yet to open and I must have 100's of BB's hanging on this thing.  Never seen the likes of it on any variety.

Sharwill last month:

Flowering/fruiting are - Ardith, GEM, Pinkerton, Sharwil, Lamb.  Reed for some odd reason is a good 6  weeks late to drop it's old flowers and put on a new flush of leaves and flowers.  Last year's fruit is doing well, about 4".

Nice looking sharwil mark.  The sharwils here are really excellent.  Home grown hass is pretty darn good too, hard to say which are better. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:25:24 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 18, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »
Ettinger avocado with flowers

Lamb Hass avocado

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 19, 2020, 08:43:14 AM »
Never heard of a Ettinger . Don't think they are very popular in south Florida . Any reason why you recommend them over the more popular Day's or Simmonds  options ? We are the same environment as Carlos in Miami .

There's a lot of great avocados not recommended in Florida, what can I say.  Ettinger has a thick peel for starts which helps with your anthracnose thingie.

Taste is reported good. This from a large scale Aggie trial in Weslaco in 1989.  Tech I talked to loved it.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 19, 2020, 08:52:09 AM »
Nice looking sharwil mark.  The sharwils here are really excellent.  Home grown hass is pretty darn good too, hard to say which are better.

Thanks Brad. Yeah, I've grown Sharwil. It's an excellent tree in all respects - the way it grows, fruits, quality of fruit.  Damn thing is just loaded but of course it's also dropping some of that fruit load.  Lamb has set fruit.

BTW, what's up with Ardith?  Mine with it's single trunk is now pretty thick, like 2", BUT the internodes are outrageous, like 12-18".  Is that just the way it grows?  It's holding fruit at the top, 9' but I may just have to cut it down to a stump and start all over regarding it's profile, which really sucks. 

BTW, GEM is blooming well and sending off a fine leaf flush. If you recall I grafted that one last year. 

Reed is really acting up. Holding nice fruit but no evidence of pushing buds any time soon.  I was worried because it was super late going into dormancy last winter for some reason.  It's a good 6 weeks behind schedule.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:57:49 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 19, 2020, 08:54:00 AM »
My Bacon avocado full of flowers!   ;D

Sweet!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 19, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
Ardith is growing normal here.  My tree has a bunch of fruit, I havent picked and tried any yet.  Probably should soon.  We are drowning in avocados...  Reed hasnt flowered here yet either.  My guatemalans are about to bloom but not yet.  All the new hawaiian trees heres are budding up.  Lots of good stuff.

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 19, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »
Trees blooming

This is my favorite tree, Ota from HI.  Just like the way it grows.

My grafts took 8 weeks to push with this mild spring

Holiday is holding around 15 fruit this year, hopefully they hang until the holidays. 

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:42:56 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 19, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing Brad.  Your avocado "farm" is beautiful.  I bet it's lovely to walk among the trees.  Here's hoping you hold a lot of excellent fruit.

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 19, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
Hi,

I've had a Hass mounded for half a year and some of the new growth leaves have been browning and falling off, and some of the limbs are yellowing. Is this root for? Please see the photo.
Thanks

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 19, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »
What !! You got that Ota!! My new favorite Avocado. Not quite as thick and rich as kahu’ulu but just right for me. You got a good scion source to have added all these great Hawaiian avocado’s.
The most kind’s I have heard of someone growing outside of the Islands.

Trees blooming

This is my favorite tree, Ota from HI.  Just like the way it grows.

My grafts took 8 weeks to push with this mild spring

Holiday is holding around 15 fruit this year, hopefully they hang until the holidays.