Author Topic: Babaco  (Read 2897 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Babaco
« on: August 19, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »
Any Babaco growers in Europe?
I found that the plant can take the heat, up to 45C in my green house, but what it doesn't like is strong sun and wind. Plants grown outside had sun burns, and because of the wind the roots get damaged and eventually root rot kicks in.
Also I recommend a minimum size for pots to be 50 litres. In my 25 liters bags, the fruits are smaller.

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
Re: Babaco
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
hello, does it grow from cuttings? I am looking for babaco in Europe, but so far haven't found any nursery selling it...

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
hello, does it grow from cuttings? I am looking for babaco in Europe, but so far haven't found any nursery selling it...

Plenty here in the neighbour archipelago.
I know of someone that grows a few of it, and might be able to convince him to sell a few cuttings (it roots very easy from cuttings).
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:34:01 AM »
I've been attempting to grow it in San Diego but agree that it does not seem to like sun. One plant in part-day sun died, another is barely alive, but the one I put in shade seems to be doing OK, but they're all very small still. I know of a local nursery that has a fruiting one which does get a good amount of sunlight so maybe they just don't like sunlight when small...

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »

Plenty here in the neighbour archipelago.
I know of someone that grows a few of it, and might be able to convince him to sell a few cuttings (it roots very easy from cuttings).

Hey Grapebush, yes please if you can either contact him or put me in contact with him, I'd appreciate! Thanks, T

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 06:24:54 AM »
I've been attempting to grow it in San Diego but agree that it does not seem to like sun. One plant in part-day sun died, another is barely alive, but the one I put in shade seems to be doing OK, but they're all very small still. I know of a local nursery that has a fruiting one which does get a good amount of sunlight so maybe they just don't like sunlight when small...

Put a shadow mesh on to filter the sun 35%, they grow very fast in 3 months like 1m. The most important is the soil drainage. They most likely died from root rot, hot weather plus stagnating water is like boiling them.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 06:29:12 AM »

I will attempt to micro propagate them, but probably will be ready, next year.
Cuttings indeed root easily, but they also root rot fast. any soil contamination will kill them.
You need to cut one plants, from which you have 3-4 cutting, them maybe one cutting will root.

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
I have had a Babaco in 2016. It rotted in winter, even kept fairly dry and frost free, on a window in a cool room. This year, a new plant was planted in the garden, where it did very well during summer. In October, it was potted for the winter. Since then, I have watered only very sparingly and the plant is starting to shed its leaves. How dry can Babaco be kept, leafless in a cool room, during winter? I plan to plant it in ground again, in spring.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
This year I had like so much fruit that many went to compost. The largest fruit reached 600g and smallest 200 g. one tree produced 5 kg per year.
I overwinter them at 12 C. They don't need water in a humid greenhouse.
If you pot them in ground then transfer them into pot they will die, they don't like to be moved. The root system is very sensitive. Just leave them in a big pot, the bigger the better. Plant them in spring and in winter you will have many fruits. I used to have 12 trees, but because people find the fruit strange, it's not very popular. Very low sugar content, lots of juice with an intense aroma of lemon mixed with pineapple. The juice can slightly burn your lips.
Your plant in the picture suffered form root rot, unfortunately you can't do anything to save it, maybe take a cutting to propagate, but with slim chances.

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
Theodor, thank you for your advice. I will watch the stem very carefully for any rot on the base. If necessary, I will try to propagate a cutting. Careful digging, did not yet reveal any rot.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 07:48:47 AM »
By the leaves it's root rot which sets in slowly but surely. I have lots of experience with different papayas.
Save it while you can, and the easiest way is airlaying. A cutting won't have energy to survive

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
With root rot set in, how will there be time and energy for an airlayer to succesfully root?
As mentioned above, Are you suggesting you have less than 25% success rooting cuttings?

By the leaves it's root rot which sets in slowly but surely. I have lots of experience with different papayas.
Save it while you can, and the easiest way is airlaying. A cutting won't have energy to survive