Author Topic: How the Fuerte avocado really got its name  (Read 1381 times)

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
How the Fuerte avocado really got its name
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
A few years ago, I stumbled on an article written by Wilson Popenoe in 1940 called "Origin of the name 'Fuerte'." Wilson and his father Fred were the ones responsible for propagating the first Fuerte avocado trees more than 100 years ago. They also gave the variety its name. The story Wilson tells is different from the story everyone else always tells about where the name comes from. Fuerte wasn't named Fuerte because it was cold hardy, according to Wilson Popenoe.

Figured I'd link to an article I wrote about it here since there might be some others around who are like me and have an inordinate interest in avocados.

Link: http://gregalder.com/yardposts/how-the-fuerte-avocado-really-got-its-name/
gregalder.com/yardposts/

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: How the Fuerte avocado really got its name
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:27:09 AM »
Nice work, I appreciate you sharing this. Wilson Popenoe is probably my favorite fruit curator of all time.

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
There is an interesting book about Wilson Popenoe published by the National Tropical Botanical Garden. Published in 1991, by Frederic Rosengarten.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »
Fuerte is a great avocado.  I can understand why the Hass family of avocados have taken over the industry, but Fuerte is the one to grow if you're in California and have the space for it.
John

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
I will look for that Popenoe book. I love all of his articles I've read.

I wholeheartedly agree, John. I am pruning all of my other avocados, but Fuertes become such good climbers that I'll let it spread all over the place since I have the space.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk