Author Topic: Sanguinelli Blook Orange  (Read 1876 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Sanguinelli Blook Orange
« on: June 23, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
Had my first Sanguinelli Blood orange.  I like Moro Blood oranges, which I see in the stores frequently, but I  rarely ever see Sanguinelli.  I would rate them as just fair to OK, nothing special.  They are a hard peeling fruit.  In my estimation they are not worth growing.  Morro is still king of the bloods.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:28:23 PM by Millet »

raggashack

• Austria, Vienna, 6-7
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguinelli Blook Orange
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
I can only compare what we can buy in the stores here, never grown a blood orange myself and there the tarocco has the best flavor for me. I can also remember trying a cara cara once, it had a fancy taste but not a lot of juice. Also this march they sold sanguinelli or sanguinellos and they were delicious, but had a very thick rind. The funny thing is the flavor improvement when u pick organic over "normal" oranges, they are so delicious.
Moro is clearly the best for squeezing since its mostly juice. I drink only juice without flesh, i cant stand the aborted seeds and with moros i have almost no flesh to throw away, which on tarocco is the exact opposite.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »
Had my first Sanguinelli Blood orange.  I like Moro Blood oranges, which I see in the stores frequently, but I  rarely ever see Sanguinelli.  I would rate them as just fair to OK, nothing special.  They are a hard peeling fruit.  In my estimation they are not worth growing.  Morro is still king of the bloods.

I've grown moro, sanguinelli, smith blood, and tarocco in the ground. All are excellent. Sanguinelli is later than moro but just as good IMHO. Tarocco is later than sanguinelli.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
Phil, do the blood oranges turn color in South Texas?

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 12:01:53 PM »
Yes, but usually only get streaks of red. Tarocco no color most years as it is very late.
With cool winters the get redder but never as red or purple as the fruit from
California.

https://flic.kr/p/27oVv8U

This is smith blood and the reddest I 've ever seen
https://flic.kr/p/LmyipG
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:08:04 PM by mrtexas »