Author Topic: Passion fruit empty.  (Read 7081 times)

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
Passion fruit empty.
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »

I have a huge healthy passion fruit vine that gives me fruits without fleshe or 10 % flesh. Does anybody know the reason and how to fix it
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Passion fruit empty.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »
No sex, No seed. Just saying.....I don't know the reason why.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:57:17 PM »
Yellow passion fruit is self incompatible. You need at least one additional  vine for cross pollination.
Pollen from vine A pollinates flowers of vine B and vice versa.
Best time to hand pollinate the flowers is late in the afternoon here in south Florida.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:48:56 AM »
I agree with Berto on cross pollinating with another vine. You may need to hand pollinate if your pollinators don't do it for you or aren't the right size for the flowers.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »
This discusses passionfruit pollination:
http://nhmj-ioj.org.jm/ioj_wp/wp-content/uploads/Observations-on-the-Pollination-of-Passiflora-penduliflora.pdf

Shows how to hand pollinate:
https://youtu.be/HFx92jfdkzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eicamZk1qis

Sounds like for best fruit you need bumblebees, hummingbirds, and plenty of different plants for compatibility, and pollination was best late afternoon/early morning.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »
It's certainly correct that passion fruit needs to be cross pollinated but, in my experience, if it's not pollinated the flower simply drops off and doesn't develop any fruit empty or full. 
Peter

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:53:21 AM »
I agree with Finca la Isla, i think if the flower is not pollinated, there is no fruit at all, the flowers simply dry out and fall (i have this problem with my passion fruit, that's why i planted 2 other plants near to it).

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »
There is variable self fertility in flavicarpa and 2 vines of different varieties always results in better and more fruit.P.edulis cross freely and are good pollinators for flavicarpas as well. The highly productive commercial flavis here like panamas and pandoras don't need much encouragement to set masses of fruit.Bees seem to pollinate flowers really well.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »
I have a yellow P. edulis growing without a companion plant and it is fruiting just fine.  I sometimes hand pollinate but mostly just leave it to the insects.  Butterflies (and caterpillars, uugh!) love it - and love to eat it!  Perhaps it's not getting enough water?  I notice that when I don't water my vine for a while the amount of pulp in the fruit seems to be reduced....

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »
P.edulis edulis is more self compatible with pollen than P.edulis flavicarpa.They do like water and there are a few butterflies here also that have caterpillars accepting passionfruit foliage,

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 09:53:07 PM »

I have a huge healthy passion fruit vine that gives me fruits without fleshe or 10 % flesh. Does anybody know the reason and how to fix it
I have this same problem of passion fruit being empy inside except mine is a purple variety... By reading online and this post it appears 1 of 4 choices.... 1st possibility needs more water.... 2nd too much nitrogen....3rd needs boron... 4th needs another pollinator...

My plant is a year old & a big mass of vines that I hand pollinated and get fruit that is empty green going to red. I am guessing I need to water it more but maybe one of the other choices... Any opinions???

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 10:10:43 PM »
I had a possum purple do the same thing. Made small and medium sized empty fruit. When I started hand pollinating, seemed to help. Stopped hand pollinating, it kept fruiting fine.

It had fruited the year prior, so wasn't a maturity issue.

Think it was just too early in the spring, and then as summer kicked in it made good fruit.