Author Topic: price of cherimoya and yellow dragon fruit in SF chinatown  (Read 1370 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
price of cherimoya and yellow dragon fruit in SF chinatown
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:23:05 PM »
So I went to SF chinatown this weekend.  And the price for cherimoya and yellow dragon fruit in SF chinatown was so shocking. I was like WTF???!!!!!
$9.99/lb for cherimoya and yellow dragon fruit!!!!   I'm clearing away all the flowers and useless trees on the premise and planting a few more cherimoya trees.
Those trees are so easy to grow,they grow like weeds at my place. even the 1yr old seedlings can withstand the winter out in the open without any issues.   My plan is to sale cherimoya stand  out in the frontyard once the 30+ trees start to give fruits.  I hardly even water the trees throughout the year.  very easy to maintain. 

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: price of cherimoya and yellow dragon fruit in SF chinatown
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
Supermarkets here sell green ones for $5/lb. Ready to eat go for $3/lb.
Specialty fruit shops sell them higher.

Growing them is easy. Getting good fruits from them is not.

Good Luck!

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 09:04:18 PM »
Lim,

What cultivars of Cherimoya are in your collections?

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:18:44 PM »
organic cherimoya in the midwest goes for 12 to 18 dollars per pound

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »
raiders36-

I don't know the varieties as all of them are seed grown from store bought each time I encountered a delicious fruit thru out the years.  I only plant the seed from best tasty variety that I ate.  I had several varieties that are not good and I don't even bother to grow them as they would be a waste of time,resources. Most of them are 7-8yrs old tree from seeds now and 5 trees actually bear pretty good  tasty fruits.  There was one tree about 2-3yrs old, and it's gave 5  small fruit, about the size of a teenage girl's fist ( i can't blame the tree for the small fruit since it's about 2ft tall and has about 5-6 fruits on it), it has  few seeds, sweet,acidic, and texture is not sandy or mushy.   Mom and sister-in-law gave it 5 thumbs up.

Coyote-
invest in a cheap  greenhouse  and start growing cherimoya yourself.  That is just crazy for that price. All of my cherimoya tree do not get any special care or fertilizers.  No chemicals. All it gets are compost and mulch. and sun + H2O.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
Those prices are typical. All Dragon fruits you pay for the appearance, not the flavor.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:16 PM »
just spoke to my mom. I gave her two cherimoya fruits from my seedling trees. One the size of my fist, second one a bit smaller. They are from two diff trees.  Mom said it's good. few seeds and good taste and flavors.  One of the tree is about 10ft tall. Last year, it gave two fruits. This year about 5 fruits.  I think it will give me more fruits as the tree mature.  Tree is 8-9yrs old from seed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk