Author Topic: Cherimoya varieties  (Read 2553 times)

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
Cherimoya varieties
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:41:49 AM »
Hi all,
First time poster from Australia.
Seeking some advice on Cherimoya varieties. I currently have a fino de jete and can get my hands on a 'campa' and 'bays' v ariety.  Does anyone have any experience with these two as I can't find much information on them
 I've been told by the seller that the campa is probably a variety from Chile if that helps at all.

Thanks

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya varieties
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »
I believe campa is from spain.  Idk if campa, campas, and campus are the same or if they originate from the same parentage.   Bay taste more like papaya and not as sweet.  I have not try Fino De Jete but I hear good things.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »
I got a grafted El Bumpo but I haven't tried the fruit yet.  Hopefully it will bloom in spring.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 04:18:26 PM »
Bay is citrusy not as intense as Libby nevertheless an excellent cherimoya

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »
I believe campa is from spain.  Idk if campa, campas, and campus are the same or if they originate from the same parentage.   Bay taste more like papaya and not as sweet.  I have not try Fino De Jete but I hear good things.
That's what I was thinking also that they are all the same type or at least from the same parentage. I've heard good things about Campas so if it's anything like that I should be good to go!
That's the first I've heard that Bays tastes more like papaya, that's really interesting!

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »
I got a grafted El Bumpo but I haven't tried the fruit yet.  Hopefully it will bloom in spring.
Unfortunately here in Aus it doesn't seem that we have as many varieties of Cherimoya. I've asked around for El Bumpo and Pierce but haven't had much luck at all.

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
Bay is citrusy not as intense as Libby nevertheless an excellent cherimoya
That sounds real nice! I love some acidity in my fruits to balance sweetness so if it's citrusy tasting that might be ideal for me. I'll go ahead and grab based on your advice :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
Cherimoya varieties Bays, Booth, Burton's Wonder, Chaffey, Kaitaia Special, Loma, Pierce, Pink, Reretai, Sabor, White came into Australia through Kamerunga research station from 1970 to 1987.There were already quite a few varieties here prior and brought in since like el bumpo. Fino de jete is also being used quite a bit for atemoya crossing to develop new atemoya varieties. They are out there but not common as nurseries prefer to stock atemoyas and people prefer to grow them in their yards. I am sure in some of the cooler areas better suited to cherimoya they would more available.

joeventra1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »
Cherimoya varieties Bays, Booth, Burton's Wonder, Chaffey, Kaitaia Special, Loma, Pierce, Pink, Reretai, Sabor, White came into Australia through Kamerunga research station from 1970 to 1987.There were already quite a few varieties here prior and brought in since like el bumpo. Fino de jete is also being used quite a bit for atemoya crossing to develop new atemoya varieties. They are out there but not common as nurseries prefer to stock atemoyas and people prefer to grow them in their yards. I am sure in some of the cooler areas better suited to cherimoya they would more available.

Thank you for your reply Mike. it's good to know that with a little looking around I might be able to find some good varieties of Cherimoya. Already having the Fino, it seems like the Bays and Campa might be solid additions. I do enjoy my atemoyas though, I recently purchased a paxtons prolific. hopefully being down here in Sydney the Cherimoya and atemoya do well and then I can make more informed decisions on which I prefer.

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »
Hi All,

Anyone from Australia growing Burton's Wonder? I am interested in hearing how the fruit tastes compared to other cultivars and also seeing what it looks like. I came across the cultivar in a journal article but it didn't have pictures of it :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk