Author Topic: Will White Sapote produce in tropics?  (Read 1885 times)

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
Will White Sapote produce in tropics?
« on: March 30, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
Good day all,

I have a white sapote seedling of unknown heritage growing in a pot. Does white sapote successfully bear fruits in a tropical lowland enviroment (Caribbean)?

Regards,
Sam

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
Re: Will White Sapote produce in tropics?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »
A property I recently acquired on the west coast of PR had a fruiting white sapote plant before the hurricane. Not sure how abundant but I've seen photos of a decent amount of fruit from the property. It might still be there.

Also I have a grafted white sapote planted at a east coast location and its growing nicely. Only had it for about a year or two but it probably would have fruited by now if I didnt put it under a bunch of tall canopy trees.

So basically it should, maybe not as abundantly or maybe just as much or more abudantly as subtropical locations.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:26:15 PM »
Good day all,

I have a white sapote seedling of unknown heritage growing in a pot. Does white sapote successfully bear fruits in a tropical lowland enviroment (Caribbean)?

Regards,
Sam
I'd recommend getting a grafted or airlayered one, they fruit very fast and seedlings can take a while

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
A property I recently acquired on the west coast of PR had a fruiting white sapote plant before the hurricane. Not sure how abundant but I've seen photos of a decent amount of fruit from the property. It might still be there.

Also I have a grafted white sapote planted at a east coast location and its growing nicely. Only had it for about a year or two but it probably would have fruited by now if I didnt put it under a bunch of tall canopy trees.

So basically it should, maybe not as abundantly or maybe just as much or more abudantly as subtropical locations.

Thanks very much for your response!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 03:55:54 PM »
Grafts can fruit the next year, seedlings can take 14 or even more.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 04:01:45 PM »
Yes there’s some in Hawaii but I found they are better in SoCal. I think they like having a brief winter, helps with keeps bugs at bay

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 10:47:47 PM »
White sapote would be one of the last things I planted in the tropics. Possibly the most overrated fruit there is. An average persimmon is vastly superior. Taste is bland, or some strange fusion of bitter and sweet, and reminds me of maize. Seeds are large, skin falls apart.

But to answer your question: it seems like a gamble. Might just come down the particular seedling you have. Keep in mind, some need cross-pollination too.

The only people who seem to celebrate this species are those in temperate climate, who want the illusion that they are growing something tropical. You are in the reverse situation... you should never run out of room to plant the many Durio, Musa, Soapberries, Artocarpus, Garcinia, coconuts...
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
Sounds like you've experienced some very poor Casmiroa. There are good ones as well. I think that even the bad ones I had were pretty good if you add a little acidity like squeezing lemon juice over the pulp.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 10:54:09 PM »
In Costa Rica white sapote,(matasano), is native but wants to grow up at 5000’.  It never did well for us in the low lands but does great in Cartago where my son went to university.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 03:03:17 AM »
White sapote fruits fine in Hawaii, both on dry and wet side of the island. Dry side is better, less diseases. Also tends to do better at higher elevations than on the coast. This fruit can be heavenly good if you get the right cultivar.
Oscar

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »
White sapote would be one of the last things I planted in the tropics. Possibly the most overrated fruit there is. An average persimmon is vastly superior. Taste is bland, or some strange fusion of bitter and sweet, and reminds me of maize. Seeds are large, skin falls apart.

But to answer your question: it seems like a gamble. Might just come down the particular seedling you have. Keep in mind, some need cross-pollination too.

The only people who seem to celebrate this species are those in temperate climate, who want the illusion that they are growing something tropical. You are in the reverse situation... you should never run out of room to plant the many Durio, Musa, Soapberries, Artocarpus, Garcinia, coconuts...

With limited space this doesn't seem to be a keeper.....

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
White Sapote is an amazing tasting fruit.
The best taste description I can come up with is Pear flan. Sweet and silky smooth.
Just dehydrated some for the first time so good.
I farm in small town sized yards and have multiple fruiting tree’s in each yard now.
So productive and delicious.
The first fruit I ever tries was in Florida outside Kampong and I thought it was terrible.
This has happened to me a number of times with various fruits , and then you try a really good one and it flips your view. I try to always be open to trying a fruit again if I didn’t like it the first time.
Climate and cultivar matters as well as many other factors.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 06:15:23 PM »
White Sapote is an amazing tasting fruit.
The best taste description I can come up with is Pear flan. Sweet and silky smooth.
Just dehydrated some for the first time so good.
I farm in small town sized yards and have multiple fruiting tree’s in each yard now.
So productive and delicious.
The first fruit I ever tries was in Florida outside Kampong and I thought it was terrible.
This has happened to me a number of times with various fruits , and then you try a really good one and it flips your view. I try to always be open to trying a fruit again if I didn’t like it the first time.
Climate and cultivar matters as well as many other factors.
I agree, it's one of my favorite fruits. Lowland tropics not the best place to grow them, but worth a try for people that really like them.
Oscar

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 06:21:13 PM »
This post gives me hope. I planted a small tree last fall and recently put on some grafts (about 4-5 weeks ago) that are started to push.
Are they normally pretty slow to push?

My tree should have Suebelle, super sweet and younghans.
-Kris

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 06:47:42 AM »
I've got a large white sapote I believe a Younghan growing here in Lake Worth Florida that was bought at Excalibur around twenty years or so ago,the fruit is excellent It's been described as vanilla cream, the base of this tree is approximately the diameter of a telephone pole
Vigorous  very healthy growing tree with hundreds of fruit
Currently on the tree now..by looking at the fruit I expect they will start coming ripe within the next month.. so it is possible to grow very good quality ones at sea level at least here in South Florida doesn't seem like the tree has ever had any disease issues..I just bought the house about a year ago but own the house across the street for a while and have been coming over here for years getting the fruit
Www.sailing-charters.org