Author Topic: Killing anthracnose on Beverly mangoes after picking?  (Read 1709 times)

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
Killing anthracnose on Beverly mangoes after picking?
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »
So I have a big Beverly mango (similar to Edward in flavor ).  Most fruit on the tree have little anthracnose til they ripen.  Then it comes fast.  I would like to know how to kill it or retard it if I pick the fruit before it Develops the anthracnose.  I want to send some to friends and relatives as well so don't want anthracnose developing en route.  I have read some about hot water dipping treatment.  Anyone with any experience?  Temperature of the water ...time?

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
Re: Killing anthracnose on Beverly mangoes after picking?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:31:44 PM »
Anthracnose is usually established well before it manifests itself visually in ripening fruit. You need to apply fungal treatments from when the fruit is small and immature. That's the time Anthracnose can develop as an unseen latent infection waiting for the ripening process to start.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
You would think that dipping fresh picked fruit into some type of fungicide solution would destroy the fungus spores on the fruit. I have been meaning to try dipping a few mangoes in chlorinated pool water as an experiment.   

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
You would think that dipping fresh picked fruit into some type of fungicide solution would destroy the fungus spores on the fruit. I have been meaning to try dipping a few mangoes in chlorinated pool water as an experiment.   

I read (but have forgotten specifics) that hot water at a certain temp and duration, will kill the skin borne anthracnose.

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 12:33:47 AM »
Mangos are a major export industry here and the majority of fruit is subjected to chemical treatment. But some organic growers were exporting to Germany and they used heat treatment on the fruit. The govt. ag. people have always been against it and were throwing up obstacles. Finally some of the people I knew who were doing it gave up the business and I don't know if anyone else has continued. You need to know what you're doing with heat treatment because the process can set off physiological processes and you end up "shooting yourself in the foot". But as I mentioned above, if the Anthracnose gets in early when the fruit is small it can stay as a latent infection and come out later no matter the treatment. Spores don't just suddenly turn up when the fruit has matured, they're around all the time.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »
Erickson Farms puts their mangoes through a "bleach type" solution to clean and protect them for shilling.  Since they are fairly local, maybe contact them for ideas/suggestions.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk