Author Topic: Rabbit or Squirrel or Skunk  (Read 3877 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Rabbit or Squirrel or Skunk
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »
Just keep in mind when mice and squirrels eat the poison they go somewhere and die.  Then birds or someones dog can eat them and get poisoned too.  Just throwing that out there as something to consider.  Snap traps work really well and cost nothing to reuse. 

When mice get bad here I put out 10 or so snap traps in the evening.  Let them sit out from 8 to 10 or 11.  Then I go out, empty the traps and reset them and go out first thing in the morning and empty again.  Usually after a couple days I quit catching mice and problems stop for a while.  Rat sized snap traps work for rats and squirrels.  It helps to know exactly what you are trying to kill so you can set the appropriate trap out.

For gophers I have a tool that you stick in the ground and find tunnels with and then you drop poison pellets into the tunnels.  I prefer not to use the poison but trapping gophers is a lot harder than other rodents so thats what I do.

I have gopher hole trap for them and it works well if done right. On dead squirrels or mice, most I have are coyotes and let them eat poisoned meat as they have been pain in the rear to our community dogs too, have taken a few. I know no dog that owners let them off leash.  But I get your concern.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Rabbit or Squirrel or Skunk
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »
I finally got that burden of a squirrel. One shot, one kill!
 I can now be at ease for a bit when my new OS trees get here this Friday.  Until then,  I will keep an eye out to see if there are any others around.  I know that this one is the evil doer because it takes the same route every time I would see it.
As for the one bite bar. I have only been dropping it in the gopher holes and in the one squirrel hole that’s in my yard.  I did use this piece that is in the picture to lure the squirrel and to keep it steady for the shot.