Author Topic: Excalibur or PIN for fruit trees?  (Read 2625 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Excalibur or PIN for fruit trees?
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
I'm in Naples, both are almost exactly 2 hours from me, so all else excluded, which is better?  I love Fruitscapes for the typical stuff, but they don't often have a great selection of some of the less common stuff.

Looking for:
Purple Caimito, Sapodilla (Alano, Hasya), Abiu, and Vietnamese Sugar Apple.  And maybe an early or late peach if possible. 

Thanks!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Excalibur or PIN for fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:50:47 PM »
Call ahead to see what is available at each. That might help you figure out which way to go.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 06:54:08 PM »
My limited experience w both....you can email Pine Island and get a good answer in a day or two and maybe phone too to confirm

Excalibur you can email but they are less email oriented. Might have to get the right person on the phone and explain how this is a long trip for you so you need infos in advance.

Why mess around with peaches which my opinion are alien to south Florida and very hit or miss. Especially when mangoes taste similar enough to peaches? Now if we could grow cherries here it would be worth a gamble. Mango skin is tough to resist the fungus we have ..... peaches...not so much. Same reason we can grow muscadine grapes but not "normal" grapes. The muscadine skin is thick and fungus resistant. With normal grapes if you get anything it will be only due to spraying anti-fungals and doing it just right

I never tried to grow peaches but my guess is you will have to spray w anti-fungals due to their thin skin

Of course Home Depot always has peach trees for sale each spring. But then they also sell tomato plants in the middle of summer when they will end up producing nothing

Z
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:03:39 PM by zands »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
Eric and Pine Isand Nursery supply the Brevard Fruit Sale for our club

They have s lot of stuff and ship.

Excalibur has more variety and a fun trip in its own

Don’t ship

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »
Are you purchasing wholesale or retail?  Excalibur does not offer wholesale pricing where as PIN does.  Also there are specific times during the season when PIN is better stocked.  Don't forget Lara farms if you go to PIN.  It should also be noted that Excalibur is a fun place to visit and has a nice selection.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
Why mess around with peaches which my opinion are alien to south Florida and very hit or miss.

I never tried to grow peaches but my guess is you will have to spray w anti-fungals due to their thin skin

IMO peaches are definitely worth growing in FL.  I have grown several varieties which have quickly produced some incredibly delicious fruit.  If possible, Phillip Rucks is the place to get the best low-chill varieties with high quality rootstock designed for FL soils.  I've only had hole shot (bacterial) on one of my trees, never dealt with fungus.  They seem to grow very well and require little maintenance other than pruning.
- Marley

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »
Why mess around with peaches which my opinion are alien to south Florida and very hit or miss.

IMO peaches are definitely worth growing in FL.  I have grown several varieties which have quickly produced some incredibly delicious fruit.  If possible, Phillip Rucks is the place to get the best low-chill varieties with high quality rootstock designed for FL soils.  I've only had hole shot (bacterial) on one of my trees, never dealt with fungus.  They seem to grow very well and require little maintenance other than pruning.

I guess I was wrong. How about cherries?....low chill hours for Florida
Like you said....Lara is very close-by Pine Island

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »

I guess I was wrong. How about cherries?....low chill hours for Florida
Like you said....Lara is very close-by Pine Island

Barbados Cherries - these do very well in our climate.  They're not as good as a bing, but they are very good, once the tree has been in the ground about 3 years.  Very, very low maintenance tree, all they do is grow like crazy and produce a ton-o-fruit.  Also, they have the highest vitamin C content of any food. 
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
My limited experience w both....you can email Pine Island and get a good answer in a day or two and maybe phone too to confirm

Excalibur you can email but they are less email oriented. Might have to get the right person on the phone and explain how this is a long trip for you so you need infos in advance.

Why mess around with peaches which my opinion are alien to south Florida and very hit or miss. Especially when mangoes taste similar enough to peaches? Now if we could grow cherries here it would be worth a gamble. Mango skin is tough to resist the fungus we have ..... peaches...not so much. Same reason we can grow muscadine grapes but not "normal" grapes. The muscadine skin is thick and fungus resistant. With normal grapes if you get anything it will be only due to spraying anti-fungals and doing it just right

Of course Home Depot always has peach trees for sale each spring. But then they also sell tomato plants in the middle of summer when they will end up producing nothing

Z

I tried to reply last night, but my internet was down.  I agree on the grapes.  I gave up on those. 

Peaches however are a different story.  The peaches I grow are absolutely fantastic.  Probably the best you've ever tried.  They go from flower to ripe fruit so fast I don't think they have much of a chance to get infected.  I have 2 UF Best peaches, but they don't stay long on the tree and I'd like to get an earlier and later variety.

I've found 2 keys to healthy peaches.  1. They DO NOT like wet feet, they need well drained high ground.  2. Do not over feed, their roots seem sensitive to burn from too much fertilizer.

Other than that, they are very vigorous trees.  Mine (I had to replace after Irma) have almost doubled in size in 6-7 months.

Last - just make sure you know your local chill hours, and buy accordingly.   
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 05:10:55 PM »

Actually, I'll be close to Excalibur this weekend so I'll shoot on over.  I assume I need to get declared agricultural before I can buy wholesale??  I'd really like to get a few more peach trees.

I'm holding onto that cacao tree for you, we need to get together soon if you still want it.  I also have a hog plum start I can give you. 
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
Is it true peach trees have a short lifespan in Florida?  (Nothing like a mango tree.)
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
Is it true peach trees have a short lifespan in Florida?  (Nothing like a mango tree.)

I heard 10-12 years only.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »

Actually, I'll be close to Excalibur this weekend so I'll shoot on over.  I assume I need to get declared agricultural before I can buy wholesale??  I'd really like to get a few more peach trees.

I'm holding onto that cacao tree for you, we need to get together soon if you still want it.  I also have a hog plum start I can give you.

All you would need to purchase wholesale is a Re-sale certificate or in many cases just proof of a business/entity.  Getting declared agricultural is something else that will benefit your property tax.
- Marley