Author Topic: Best of the New Zill Mangos (Truly Tropical)  (Read 21666 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the New Zill Mangos
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
as far as i know buttercream hasnt been released havent heard of taralay.

Buttercream i have since last year. Taralay just got released too.

One of my sources that has access to zill said that by summer OS & 0-15 will get released. warren is correct.

I buy plants from Zills. Either they are doing small special releases to certain customers or your sources are wrong. I was there last month and asked about buttercream they didnt have anything maybe they got new stuff for Feb. but I havent checked.

Also have guava variety looks like sh*t

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 03:48:48 PM »
seacrest has been released to the public, still dont think the others have been.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 02:47:55 PM »
seacrest has been released to the public, still dont think the others have been.
I was there today, they have quite a few Taralay left.
Not much else of the new stuff though.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »
Taralay is a awesome mango..... totally underrated
Joe

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:46 PM »
I agree...its delicious

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »
Taralay is one of my favorites. There is trees available? I thought they were never going to release them according to Walter.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »
wow, I can't keep up with all the new zill releases. Good thing they are releasing the orange sherbet. I have an OS tree (err actually 2 of them) that have produced fruit for the last 3 years.

I selected 2 of the most promising seedlings from a batch of fruit purchased from Sir Walter (based on leaf and smell characteristics) and grafted them to a cut back and vigorously growing, mature mango tree (I lifted a page from David Sturrock's playbook on that one). Within 3 years, the trees started fruiting. But I had been waiting for Zill's to release before publicizing it, as I didn't want to infringe on Gary Zill's exclusivity. (I'm still not releasing budwood until the cultivar has been officially released.)

Both of my trees are absolutely identical to the parent, in both tree and fruit. After several years of eating the fruit and about 5-6 years of managing the tree, I'd say it's my least favorite of the Lemon-X club (consisting of Lemon Meringue, Lemon Zest, and Orange Sherbet). The tree is ridiculously vigorous. In fact, I think it puts Valencia Pride to shame. It does seem to set fruit from flower rather well. However, it grows so egregiously rapidly that my annual prunings (we're talking 15+ feet height reduction each year) preclude 2/3 of the tree from flowering.

As far as fruit quality goes, it does get jelly seed fairly easily. The flavor is good, but it has a more intense "lemon" component to it than the LZ and LM -- can't really describe this.

I know Alex has mentioned that LZ has susceptibility to black spot, and perhaps that is the one area in which OS excels? It's possible that my experiences with the tree are aberrant, but they seem to coincide with Walter's. I do think it's worth growing, but an LZ or LM may be preferable if space is lacking.
Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff!

I have several OS seedlings growing and vigor is a good thing in SoCal. Lemon Zest has horrible issues with Powdery Mildew here, hopefully OS will perform a little better in that respect. I already have PPK and LZ so OS, if I select the right clone, will round out this trifecta.

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
I know Alex has mentioned that LZ has susceptibility to black spot, and perhaps that is the one area in which OS excels?

I think it might not be “as bad” as LZ when it comes to MBBS but it definitely gets it.

I like LZ better in flavor personally.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 11:47:49 PM »
So how does Orange Essence compare?
John

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »
I tried one home grown orange essence and it had the lightest hint of orange.  Its a beautiful colored fruit though.  I prefer the stronger orange flavor in lemon zest.  My OE tree was in a pot and was very young, so maybe not a fair comparison.
Warren

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 12:01:57 AM »
So how do the guava buttercream and Tara lay taste or compare?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »
I tried one home grown orange essence and it had the lightest hint of orange.  Its a beautiful colored fruit though.  I prefer the stronger orange flavor in lemon zest.  My OE tree was in a pot and was very young, so maybe not a fair comparison.

Hi I see your posts of mango trees shipped from florida.  I was thinking about trying out the mail order tree thing.  Is there a place tou recommend to order from?  I only know of top teopicals and plantogram.  Is there others?  Anyone to avoid? 

Thanks!
Brad Spaugh
Brad Spaugh

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »

Hi I see your posts of mango trees shipped from florida.  I was thinking about trying out the mail order tree thing.  Is there a place tou recommend to order from?  I only know of top teopicals and plantogram.  Is there others?  Anyone to avoid? 

Thanks!
Brad Spaugh

Will send you PM.
Warren

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
Was "Amy" ever released? I enjoyed it when I had it some 2-3yrs ago.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
My OS gets what I think is scab pretty badly. Powdery mildew hasn't been an issue.

If you want to fruit a seedling rapidly, best is to cut back a major limb on a mature mango tree and graft to the shoots. I got my OS to fruit within 3 years, while Walter said that the original tree took 8.

When selecting OS clones, make sure to weed out the ones that don't have orangey smelling sap. The OS leaves are also longer and flatter than the LZ.

Thanks for the info Jeff!

I have several OS seedlings growing and vigor is a good thing in SoCal. Lemon Zest has horrible issues with Powdery Mildew here, hopefully OS will perform a little better in that respect. I already have PPK and LZ so OS, if I select the right clone, will round out this trifecta.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »

Thanks!
Brad Spaugh

Will send you PM.

Thanks, I meant to PM you and ended up posting here on accident.  (Cell phone browsing).

I appreciate your message.  May try ordering some. 

Too bad no one grows these locally for sale.
Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
Orange Essence I believe is the mango that Walter had wanted to call "caboose," due to the odd shape of the shoulders. He eventually tore out his topworked OE tree due to a tendency to get anthracnose in the shoulder area near the stem. I was actually shocked when I found this out, as I had adored that mango.

From memory, the fruit was extremely delicious -- rich and sweet -- but is didn't really have much of an orangey flavor. The sap does smell orangey, though, so it should have some orange flavor near the rind. OS / LZ / LM, on the other hand, have a very strong orange component, although to me, OS has more of a lemon flavor than LZ and LM (which are more like orange). I think they should have reversed the naming and given OS the LZ moniker and vice versa.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »
I agree...its delicious

Totally agree as well! Made my top 5 list last year 🤓
Sergio

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
I agree...its delicious

Totally agree as well! Made my top 5 list last year 🤓
What is its season in general--early, mid, or late?  Is it a big tree or compact?
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »
I found this from October 07, 2015, concerning Taralay:
Its a Julie seedling.  Moderate vigor.  Mid season.  Not available to the public at this time.
- Rob

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:01:48 PM by johnb51 »
John

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
Spoke to someone at Zills and was told that they are going to release a mango by the name of Orange Sorbet. Is this totally different than Orange Sherbet?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
I think Juliette is a great mango from the somewhat recent releases that are not much talked about.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
I think Juliette is a great mango from the somewhat recent releases that are not much talked about.

I have one waiting to go in the ground. Does the tree need a lot of space? Low or medium vigor?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »

I have one waiting to go in the ground. Does the tree need a lot of space? Low or medium vigor?
I just took a pic of my Juliette today. It appears to be fairly compact.