Author Topic: Taiwanese Atemoya & Cherimoya Vietnamese from Greenmart Nursery  (Read 9930 times)

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
Went to Greenmart nursery in Orange, CA today and bought a Taiwanese Atemoya and Pakistan Mulberry. Anyone knows what variety the Taiwanese Atemoya is? The owner is Taiwanese and he told me this variety is from Taiwan. I am just wondering if anybody has experience with this Atemoya.
I also saw a grafted cherimoya grown by La Verne nursery and the tree tag says the name of this variety is Cherimoya Vietnamese, any experience?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Taiwanese Atemoya & Cherimoya Vietnamese from Greenmart Nursery
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:00:27 AM »
Went to Greenmart nursery in Orange, CA today and bought a Taiwanese Atemoya and Pakistan Mulberry. Anyone knows what variety the Taiwanese Atemoya is? The owner is Taiwanese and he told me this variety is from Taiwan. I am just wondering if anybody has experience with this Atemoya.
I also saw a grafted cherimoya grown by La Verne nursery and the tree tag says the name of this variety is Cherimoya Vietnamese, any experience?

Hi David

I have both.  I got the scion from Greg and he got it from Exotica. They took really fast.

JF

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:02:33 AM »
Do you have a photo?
Most Taiwanese atemoya I've seen have been very perfect looking, very much like a Tropic Sun. The perfect bumps are supposed to be prized as they resemble the head of the Buddha.

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
dnt72800, I got the atemoya for $60. It is just a twig with two branches in a longer but narrower than regular 5 gallon pot. There were only two of those left yesterday, so only one left now after I took one. I already barerooted it and repoted it into a mix similar to Al's 511 mix from Gardenweb container forum.
Thanks for the info on the Vietnamese Cherimoya. I didn't buy it because I am not sure what exactly it tastes like or its growth pattern is. Also, Greenmart sells it for $50, which I think is too expensive. I will probably order through Home Depot, who sells cherimoyas from La Verne only for less than $40. I already have an El Bumpo, Honey Heart and Chaffey, will probably order a Vietnamese, Knight, and Fino.
Hi JF, since you have both trees. Have you got any fruits? How is the taste?
BMc, I will post a photo later. Like I said, I repoted it and took off most of the leaves to compensate for the root loss during the barerooting process. It looks just like a twig, nothing exciting. We will see how it performs once starting to grow.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
dnt72800, I got the atemoya for $60. It is just a twig with two branches in a longer but narrower than regular 5 gallon pot. There were only two of those left yesterday, so only one left now after I took one. I already barerooted it and repoted it into a mix similar to Al's 511 mix from Gardenweb container forum.
Thanks for the info on the Vietnamese Cherimoya. I didn't buy it because I am not sure what exactly it tastes like or its growth pattern is. Also, Greenmart sells it for $50, which I think is too expensive. I will probably order through Home Depot, who sells cherimoyas from La Verne only for less than $40. I already have an El Bumpo, Honey Heart and Chaffey, will probably order a Vietnamese, Knight, and Fino.
Hi JF, since you have both trees. Have you got any fruits? How is the taste?
BMc, I will post a photo later. Like I said, I repoted it and took off most of the leaves to compensate for the root loss during the barerooting process. It looks just like a twig, nothing exciting. We will see how it performs once starting to grow.

How do you order through Home Depot? I asked at the local HD last year, and the guy said they don't do that as a rule. Maybe they gave me wrong info. Thanks,

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
I read from other posts that special orders could be done through Home Depot and Lowes, but I think it all depends on the particular store and more importantly, the particular plant buyer you can work with. Each store has its own buyer for the nursery department. I've worked with the buyer in Lowes Lake Elsinore for Some palm special orders. I will try the stores in Corona area (where I am at) to find out whether it could be done.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »

Hi David

I have both.  I got the scion from Greg and he got it from Exotica. They took really fast.

JF
Hi JF
Put me on your wait list for scions nect year,,,,,,,please. By then...........i should have many seedlings to practice on.
cheers
DT

pas de problem David

four have taken two on the ground with my AF and two in containers.

JF

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »
GT If I was you I would wait to buy any tropical fruit trees. Costco in Fountain Valley is going to have a Rare Tropical Fruit Tree road show May 17th and from what I hear they will have some nice stuff at very good prices. Just a suggestion.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
GT If I was you I would wait to buy any tropical fruit trees. Costco in Fountain Valley is going to have a Rare Tropical Fruit Tree road show May 17th and from what I hear they will have some nice stuff at very good prices. Just a suggestion.

can wait for that......I hope to meet some of you guys in FV costco on the 17th.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:39:21 PM by JF »

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
Hey guys, do you know what exactly this Costco will have for sale on the 17th? Is the Coscto at 17900 Newhope Street?

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
Hi JF, when are you gonna be at the Costco on the 17th? May I join you and visit Roger's backyard nursery and buy something from him?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
Hi JF, when are you gonna be at the Costco on the 17th? May I join you and visit Roger's backyard nursery and buy something from him?

Cuban007 knows the address......I think it's off Euclid, I'm not sure. I can be there after 4pm I have to work that day but I can call Roger to see if he is available.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk