Author Topic: Dragon Fruit Australia  (Read 962 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Dragon Fruit Australia
« on: July 07, 2020, 05:12:34 AM »
A group of Aussie dragonfruit fanatics have recently started the Dragon Fruit Australia facebook page. Since there are plenty of keen new growers in Oz, I directed them here to check out the Dragonfruit thread. It was a wealth of  great info for me when I first started down the road to my dragonfruit addiction. Hopefully the new growers in Australia can learn as much from the Tropical Fruit Forum as I did. 👍

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 02:25:25 AM »

Maybe a hard core aussie can tell me the real names of these. The top is a really expensive and distinctive type appearing in the markets and it has red/purple flesh.
The second occamponis cross has excellent taste and is showing up around the ridges also.
The 3rd I call Palmerston purple and I is very large self fertile and of great taste.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 03:53:55 PM »
Maybe non-Australians can ID.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 03:24:59 AM »

Trying to tell the variety of a dragonfruit just by looking at the fruit is a near impossibility. Take these 3 fruit. All from the same plant(seedling), all look completely different and flesh colour is identical to the parent plant but with a different flavour. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 03:48:45 AM »
True and I tried to use typical specimens of distinctive forms. Some of my friends are pretty good at picking some varieties by appearance.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 04:25:59 AM »
Unfortunately, there’s also the situation where growers/collectors/nurseries decide to put their own new variety names on already named varieties. Whether they forgot the original name or just wanted some special name for themselves, it ends up making the whole world of dragonfruit more unreliable.
Then you’ve got people who grow dragonfruit from seed and give it the same name as the parent plant!
Very difficult to tell the difference these days unfortunately.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 05:23:16 AM »
Yes I have seen plenty of that even outside the realm of dragonfruit. Seeds I got from Jim West of Ecuadorian yellow have grown up and have fruit on and Oscar's orange one I received seeds for a while ago has been fruiting for a few years.