Author Topic: Light frost and the effect on Mango flowers  (Read 1452 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Light frost and the effect on Mango flowers
« on: January 10, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
I got a frost text alert last night so I did The Prudent thing and broke out the frost blankets.
The weather forecast was for 39 degrees and at 5 this morning that's pretty much what it was.
I checked the hood of my truck and the windshield.I didn't see any Frost.
My question is how detrimental is a light frost to Mango flowers?

They're cracking the whip on me over here in Osceola County LOL

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:11:41 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Light frost and the effect on Mango flowers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 10:03:42 PM »
39 should be no problem for mango blossoms, especially if there was no frost.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 10:09:21 PM »
I get light frosts most years (very brief here) and it seems the flowers are only damaged at the same point the tree/foliage would be.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 10:17:02 PM »
I was 40 degrees at 5:00 am and at 7:30 I was 38 and found a few patches of frost in my yard this morning.
That last hour or so is often times considerably cooler?
Last year I didn't have frost but I did have several different blooms on my mango trees and
the fruit was spread out.
The answer to your question depends on different factors including the length of time you have
frost, the amount of protection, the stage of the flowers. While I found several patches of light
frost the leaves of the trees were not frosted on any of my trees. About 10 years ago I had
a heavy frost and all the leaves on my trees were white and the ground was super crunchy
everywhere for 5-6 hours. It was in February and I lost a pakistan mulberry and lychee tree.
That year was a bad year for mango production as well. I didn't lose the mango trees but they didn't
rebloom. Last year I had a 29 degree night but it was windy all night and it didn't affect anything.
I grow cherry tomatoes and hot pepers and they weren't even affected. I also grow Muntingia and
they produced all Winter? It's a crapshoot every year. This is my third light frost and most of my mango
trees started to push blooms but are just started and they seem to be waiting for warmer weather to
continue? Next weekend there is another cold night in the forecast.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 06:10:25 AM »
I got a frost text alert last night so I did The Prudent thing and broke out the frost blankets.
The weather forecast was for 39 degrees and at 5 this morning that's pretty much what it was.
I checked the hood of my truck and the windshield.I didn't see any Frost.
My question is how detrimental is a light frost to Mango flowers?

They're cracking the whip on me over here in Osceola County LOL

Thanks everyone for the information I appreciate it and if there's anyone else that wants to put their two cents in that would be appreciated too.
Thanksgiving holiday was unusually warm some of my trees did a partial flush growth. The month of December and so far January have been pretty cool for the most part. I do not know if this term applies but it seems as though their metabolic rate is slow their level of dormancy is high. Except for the early girls Julie and Tete Nene the rest are pushing rather slowly. Which I've realize is a good thing pertaining to frost protection. This was a good drill I realized I need to purchase.
 a couple more Frost blankets

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:17:32 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 08:55:11 AM »
This is the coldest winter we have had in recent years. While the temps may not be the lowest we have had, I don't remember having near this many frosts. I looked at a website someone posted on a facebook page which estimated the total chill hours for my area was over 250 at this point. Ihave found the best solution for dealing with frosts is to use incandescent big bulb Christmas lights. Even the hard freeze we had back in early dec/late November really didn't affect my trees with the lights. I simply have them on dusk to dawn timers. Going to have to start monitoring the weather though so my neighbor doesn't start poking fun at me for keeping my lights up this long lol.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 09:46:55 AM »
Not sure what your frost cloth is made of but its usually best NOT to have the "covering" touching/laying on the foliage and/or buds.  When it does, it usually has a better ability to transfer the direct cold to the plant instead of protecting it.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 10:46:44 AM »
Not sure what your frost cloth is made of but its usually best NOT to have the "covering" touching/laying on the foliage and/or buds.  When it does, it usually has a better ability to transfer the direct cold to the plant instead of protecting it.
This is what I've been using it's 10ft by 20ft  On my bigger trees a zip tie the grommets together and use two pieces of conduit. My daughter and I use the conduit like a Chinese New Year's dragon to get it over the tree. I also use clothespins in between the grommets

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 11:48:50 AM »
This is what I've been using it's 10ft by 20ft  On my bigger trees a zip tie the grommets together and use two pieces of conduit. My daughter and I use the conduit like a Chinese New Year's dragon to get it over the tree. I also use clothespins in between the grommets

Cant see what its made of, picture is too blurry.   My point is that the tree should be tented where the material is not touching the tree.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 12:18:57 PM »

Cant see what its made of, picture is too blurry.   My point is that the tree should be tented where the material is not touching the tree.
Will I have to run a piece of PVC up to the center of the tree and make a teepee or can this material touch the foliage?
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/planket-frost-protection-plant-cover-10ft-by-20ft/8599101.html

Sorry about the photo not realize it was so blurry. I did not have my Magoo glasses on. LoL

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 03:16:12 PM »
This is what I do and the results/data.

You could use a thicker cloth there if necessary.

https://youtu.be/x5Pf_n86cZI

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 08:15:29 AM »

Good idea :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:21:35 AM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »

https://youtu.be/x5Pf_n86cZI
Now that I've watched the video and slept on it I think I will incorporate that with my smaller trees.
I watch some videos on planket Frost blankets.
Their theory is first water the soil then drape the blanket to the ground.
That is good in theory but when you're dealing with trees you might get two ends to touch the ground but the short sides not so much.
Since I use Christmas lights and need be a hundred watt flood light in the center of the tree  I can use the lollipop technique.
With the number of frost alerts we've had lately and with the growing number of trees  accumulated. I have to develop a very field Expedia method. With the fact that sometimes I am way too busy and other times way lazy this has to be calculated into the equation :)
The 10-day forecast looks to be Low's in the 50-ish in 9b
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:46:19 AM by bovine421 »