Author Topic: Please Help, what is happening to my orange trees leaves?  (Read 1467 times)

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
Please Help, what is happening to my orange trees leaves?
« on: August 23, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
Can anyone please tell me what is going on with my orange tree? It was doing just fine until about a week or 2 ago. Half the leaves are yellowing and the other half are curling and looking almost variegated.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help, what is happening to my orange trees leaves?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »
Container grown citrus needs trace minerals. Mix 1.5 teaspoons of Epsom salt in two gallons of water. Stir till dissolved. Drench the container. Hot dry weather also makes the need for water a most important item. Water well....until water runs from the weep holes in the pot every third day. Check to see that you have a well draining soil in the pot. Make sure it is taking up the water. At the same time make sure the pot is water logged and is not root bound.
How old is the tree? Did you repot when you got it? Did you fertilize it? Outside or inside? Tell me and I will have more information to ascertain your trees problem.

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
I just bought it this spring and repotted it. I used the mixture lazz uses and so it is well draining. But I did use a little more soul than turf because it is so hot and so dry here. I am fertilizing it with Jones fruit and citrus. 2 things did change recently. I switched it to a drip system that is 4 gal x 3 hours x 3 times a week. Rather than filling the pot with a hose until it’s totally soaked every 3-4 days. But it was not getting enough water the leaves started  curling and the fruit dried up and died. And I painted the trunk white with paint. It has been a lot hotter the last 2 weeks. It’s been 104- 107 here. Thank you for replying and for the help.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
The drip sysyem should not bother it. Evidently some change in its environment is causing it to protest by dropping leaves. The water stress you described may have been the culprit. That being the problem may be just now showing. The new drip sysyem should fix that.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 09:07:39 PM »
Desertcitrus, It has been a long time since I heard you last.  I remember you from a long time ago.  If I remember you live in the south west part of Utah off I-15.  Looking at your pictures I can easily see that some of you tree's leaves have become sun burned.  This is most probably from the 100+ temperatures and not enough water to sustain the tree during this time.  With proper care your  tree can return to it former health, but the sunburned leave will not rejoin their former coloration.  If the hot conditions should return be exceedingly careful not to let the tree become dry and without its needed  moisture.  The tree's roots draws up water that eventually reaches the leaves which transpires the water into the air to keep the leaves cool.  This can only happen when enough water is available to the tree.  I think your tree will be OK if you insure its care. It is very nice hearing from you again.  You have been growing citrus for quite some time.  Take care.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:02:01 AM by Millet »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 06:12:56 AM »
It does look like sunburn. Most citrus are raised in a shade house & quickly moving them out into direct sun will cause this especially desert sun. They are not lacking for water or they would wilt.

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 02:58:53 AM »
Hi Millet! Yes you are right I live in south west Utah and I remember you from the old forum. I’m glad you are on this one. Thank you everyone for your response. I think the green leaves that are normal shaped with an orange tint are the sunburn ones Miller and Lazz are talking about. I’m glad that’s all that it is. The trees leaves where not burnt until just over a week ago when temps soared to 107.  But what about the leaves that have turned light colored in some spots and deformed and curled? Is that from the heat and sunburn? They are newer leaves.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »
DesertCitrus, the deformed leaves are from insects.  It is very common with new growth at this time of year.  You can guard against this, by spraying the new grown  with horticultural oil or neem, every now an then until the leaves mature a little.  I had the same problem on a Page mandarin.  New growth is candy to insects. 

dlhvac

• love to grow citrus and mangoes avocado
    • durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 06:48:45 PM »
citrus in containers need to be watered heavy till water comes out the pot this removes the salts in your water that is prevalent in Arizona. fertilize every month because watering like this causes nutrients to wash out but thats ok go on amazon and look for citrus foliar spray with iron zinc and manganese , magnesium can be put in by one tablespoon of epsom salt in a gallon of water pump spray this mixture on the leaves every week. tree look dried out . water heavily especially when over 100f and dry as in arizona. trees evaporate heavily above 100f. good luck i water mine twice a day in Florida when over 95f the new flushes wilt thats how i know.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 09:54:35 PM »
I would  not recommend foliar spraying every week.  It is not good to under feed a tree, and it is not good to over feed a tree, Desertcitrus could follow dihvac's  recommendation, but doing so every week would not be wise.

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 01:06:50 AM »
Millet, thank you I have neem oil and will use.

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 01:09:44 AM »
Thank you for everyone’s response. It wasn’t getting watered consistently until a couple of weeks ago but it is now getting regular lengthy watering with 4 gallon drippers.