Author Topic: Best Tasting Mangos of 2015?  (Read 33747 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Mangos of 2015?
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »
Anyone tasted Harvest Moon and ST Maui mangos that can give an opinion on the fruit quality and taste?

thanks,
Raul

Hi Raul

I have not taste Harvest Moon but I have St Maui. St Maul is a sweet, juicy, strong resinous mango. I found it similar taste to Angie the difference being Angie is sweeter and spicier. If I had to pick from the two I pick the Angie any day it's an excellent mango.

St Maui

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:31:53 PM by JF »

Mango Madness

• Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:18 PM »
Hi Rob,

I have a home in Boca Raton. I don't live there year round though. We do however fly down every two-four weeks. We can't stay up here in MA for too long, because of the heavy stress and the business, which is why we can't stay very long in FL, due to the business. It's it's a blessing and a plague!
I haven't been to the nursery, I ordered the trees through Walter. I guess I felt I owed him that, due to all his helpful information and all the time he spent educating me on various issues, with regard to tipping etc.
I'd like to visit the nursery next time I'm down. I did go over to Truly Tropical an got into a lengthy conversation with them as we'll.
I panted the CC, but never I'd try it! I missed the season for that one. I did eat some excellent lemon zest and loved it.
I ate like (4) mangos a day for like two weeks! I really liked the fruit punch as well!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
Hi Rob,

I have a home in Boca Raton. I don't live there year round though. We do however fly down every two-four weeks. We can't stay up here in MA for too long, because of the heavy stress and the business, which is why we can't stay very long in FL, due to the business. It's it's a blessing and a plague!
I haven't been to the nursery, I ordered the trees through Walter. I guess I felt I owed him that, due to all his helpful information and all the time he spent educating me on various issues, with regard to tipping etc.
I'd like to visit the nursery next time I'm down. I did go over to Truly Tropical an got into a lengthy conversation with them as we'll.
I panted the CC, but never I'd try it! I missed the season for that one. I did eat some excellent lemon zest and loved it.
I ate like (4) mangos a day for like two weeks! I really liked the fruit punch as well!

So you are bi-coastal..... sort of. My unsolicited advice is to mulch your trees heavily to guard against drying out. From the way you speak I can tell you have been reading here a_lot and reading between the lines too!

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2015, 07:47:07 PM »
Anyone tasted Harvest Moon and ST Maui mangos that can give an opinion on the fruit quality and taste?

thanks,
Raul

Hi Raul

I have not taste Harvest Moon but I have St Maui. St Maul is a sweet, juicy, strong resinous mango. I found it similar taste to Angie the difference being Angie is sweeter and spicier. If I had to pick from the two I pick the Angie any day it's an excellent mango.

St Maui

Thanks JF. That mango looks juicy though.

Mango Madness

• Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2015, 10:16:22 PM »
Hi Raul,

I had a harvest moon. I was a very large, good tasting mango. I liked it a lot. I considered planting it, but I was told by Walter Zill, that he tree didn't fruit this year and that it's not known to produce much fruit.
I ended up planting a CC, LZ and a Providence instead of the harvest moon, which is also a very large, good tasting mango!
Fruit punch is another large and excellent tasting, well balanced mango.

John

Mango Madness

• Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2015, 10:30:06 PM »
Hi Zands,

I'm planning on spreading some mulch around the trees for sure.
I've lucked out, in that my neighbor is a retired professional landscaper and checks out my property every few days to make sure all is kosher!
He recommends keeping the mulch away from the wood, as to not cause any rot!
You should see his house, it's like waking through a nursery or jungle of some sort. He could charge an entrance fee to the attraction!
He has a harvest moon tree, a Valencia pride and a Keitt as well. He's got Jabuticaba, bananas, Carambola  etc, etc.

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2015, 01:42:29 AM »
Hi Raul,

I had a harvest moon. I was a very large, good tasting mango. I liked it a lot. I considered planting it, but I was told by Walter Zill, that he tree didn't fruit this year and that it's not known to produce much fruit.
I ended up planting a CC, LZ and a Providence instead of the harvest moon, which is also a very large, good tasting mango!

John

John, thanks for the information.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »
Hi Raul,

John

Regarding Harvest Moon.......my tree has yet to flower.  It hasn't been in the ground long enough to make any final evaluations, but all other trees planted at the same time or even after have flowered. The only tree that has been close in lack of productivity has been Pina Colada.  It has flowered profusely but has set only very light fruit if it set fruit at all.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jchin

• SoFl
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
I have had the same experience with harvest moon. Still waiting for fruit. I got my lemon zest and sweet tart trees after the harvest moon and they have produced but nothing but vegetative growth from HM. Hopefully we will get some fruit next year otherwise out it goes. Taking up valuable real estate.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
Hi Zands,

I'm planning on spreading some mulch around the trees for sure.
I've lucked out, in that my neighbor is a retired professional landscaper and checks out my property every few days to make sure all is kosher!
He recommends keeping the mulch away from the wood, as to not cause any rot!
You should see his house, it's like waking through a nursery or jungle of some sort. He could charge an entrance fee to the attraction!
He has a harvest moon tree, a Valencia pride and a Keitt as well. He's got Jabuticaba, bananas, Carambola  etc, etc.

Hi MM
You are lucky to have a semi-caretaker so keep him happy via some kind of compensation 8)
The known varieties of mangoes you buy at a nursery have graft lines. (doh) This is where rot and death can occur due to excess moisture held there by mulch. More of a threat to younger trees.

He's got Jabuticaba, bananas, Carambola

The last two are fail proof to grow. You cannot mess them up
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:37:10 AM by zands »

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2015, 06:50:27 PM »

Had a co-worker score some of those Zills. They seem to be all keepers.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
I also had an M-4 which I concur was very good.  Coconut flava.

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »
Black Gold (thong dam - was incredible this year)
Fruit Punch (batches I got were not family size mangoes but great flavor)
Duncan (late batch I got ranked up there with any mango I had this season)
Pina Colada
PPK

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »
What do you mean the Fruit Punch were not family size?  Where did you get them from?
- Rob

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2015, 04:14:04 AM »
What do you mean the Fruit Punch were not family size?  Where did you get them from?

Meaning they weren't giant mangoes. I got them from Steve in Bokeelia

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
Sweet tart still causing astonishment in the West Coast

It will go up against
Kesar
LZ
Leo#2
Ice cream
White Chaunsa
Anwar Ratol
Paulito
In the next few weeks....see if it can retain its belt

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2015, 02:47:25 PM »
Nice sweet tart JF, deep orange flesh Yummy:)
 How does it sound if I double plant with lz and sweet tart in the same hole?

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
Great pictures of the deep orange flesh of the Sweet Tart... what an amazing, delicious fruit! "Astonishment" isn't too a strong of a word for a well-ripe and ready one

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »
Great pictures of the deep orange flesh of the Sweet Tart... what an amazing, delicious fruit! "Astonishment" isn't too a strong of a word for a well-ripe and ready one

Brett we are in the peak of mango season and Sweet Tart are ripening perfect

SoCal10b

That's a combo you can't go wrong.Behl has cocktail trees of those varieties

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:41 PM »
Another Sweet Tart this one too much sweet not enough tart....over ripen still outstanding!!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »
JF,

I guess Sweet Tart ("queen") is giving LZ ("king") a good run for the money in CA.  Will be interesting to see if Fruit Punch can dethrone both in the next few years.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:45:34 PM by wslau »
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2015, 01:06:33 AM »
JF,

I guess Sweet Tart ("queen") is giving LZ ("king") a good run for the money in CA.  Will be interesting to see if Fruit Punch can dethrone both in the next few years.

Warren my friend, Sweet Tart annihilated all the varieties you mention in FL this year if anyone is going to dethrone it will it will come from in India or La Habra, CHaunsa and White Chaunsa have a chance Anwar Ratol could do it but the biggest threath is Manohar a superior seedling of chaunsa, They will meet head to head next Summer in La Habra.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »
I don't think there can be just one GOAT.  Comparing these three is like comparing Sweet Tarts to  Florida Minneola Tangelos to Hawaiian Punch -- fine choices in different categories.

Be sure to let us know when we Florida folks can take our road trip to sample some of California's fine contenders.............

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
No particular order

Maha Chanok
LZ
Edgar
Dupuis
Orange Sherbet

The coconut cream won all the taste tests we had however.  Our first year to taste all of the types mentioned. 

Better than expected. 

Florigon
Duncan
Pickering

Worse. 

Carrie.   Tried from three separate sources but the texture  isn't for me.   

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2015, 10:24:46 PM »
this season I really enjoyed: ( in no particular order)

K3 - reminded me of a duncan mango, only better.
C18 - probably my favorite mango I tasted this season. it had a very citrusy, sweet orange flavor. can't wait to grow it when released.
M4 - was super sweet. like mango candy. would love to grow this one.
venus- was really good, thinking about at the very least grafting it to another mango in the yard for late season production.
piņa colada - was hit or miss for me I had a few, and some were really good and others very mediocre.
coconut cream was good. and when overripe it tasted like an edward so that was good.
34-12 was good. loved that smooth jello like texture.
P22 - was good. complex flavors, seemed to change throughout the fruit. I would grow it.
sweet tart- was also good-ish?!. but I don't think I enjoy them enough to put a tree in the ground. its not the kind of mango i could binge on. I enjoy the tangy tart mangoes but this one makes your salivary glands just burst in your mouth. mine are bursting now just reminiscing about it.  :)
Mic