Author Topic: just got these bags today , let see if it will protect them fruits from rats  (Read 14460 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
just got these bags today , let see if it will protect them  fruits from rats and squirrels.

lots of thumb size guava were being chewed . let's see how these bags will hold up.

roseligold holding a few fruits.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
too late for my Sweet tart rats got to them

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
Hi knlim000, let me know if those bags hold up, I know these cups hold up, but they won't keep the animals away.
I know what you guys mean! in my area we have a lot of Oak Trees and sable Palms where the Rats live, we also have  the healthiest Rats, in Fl. all they eat is fruits, I put out a lot of poison , but I just can't kill everyone in the neighborhood, is discouraging sometimes to see the fruits of your labor with a hole on it.
But then again every animal has got to eat!.
Carlos

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:07:41 AM by carcarlo »

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
Hi knlim000, Where did you get those bags? I been looking for something like that.

Thanks
Raul

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
yes, very frustrated when the fruits gotten a bite out of it.  I also have an electric rat trap which kills the immediately, caught two rats so far in the last month. The organza is easier then the plastic bottle to put on the fruits. With the plastic bottles, I was able to save some of my apples. My persimmon tree load with 50+ fruits are completely gone now since I didn't protect it.   I will let you guys know if this works against rat and squirrels.  They go after my figs as well and the figs are now bagged.    I got them from ebay, it was a link put up by one of the folks on this forum.    The bra is funny, does it work?   My mom told me to put a panty on my cherimoya trees to make it fruits, one of her friend told her that.

apples and figs saved by the plastic bottles. First time I have a harvest in the past 6yrs even though each year, apples were loaded on the tree, but nothing to harvest when it was ready.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:26:32 PM by knlim000 »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
im watching this thread too
figs , guava, acerola, papaya ... all ravaged by the rat beasts

i watched a video about a guy trying plastic baggies, and also tinfoil
neither worked at all
they just ripped it all to shreds.

he did use a pepper spray that worked though.
you have to re-apply after every rain though.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The critters will just bite through the organza bags like it's nothing. I am going to try organza bags dipped in hot wax chilli oil mix. That should do the trick.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
nullzero, good idea .

I got super hot chili , i am going to crush it and maybe put them into the bag.  I will have to grow lots of chili next year.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
The critters will just bite through the organza bags like it's nothing. I am going to try organza bags dipped in hot wax chilli oil mix. That should do the trick.

Ingenious... similar concept to mosquito repellent-impregnated clothes/bed nets

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Maybe even put stuff inside the bags if your area is not rainy. Like garlic and spices that will repel some pests. Just make sure they're not they're not attracting them. Then they can be reusable or you can eat it if it's just garlic.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I spray cologne/perfume around my fruit that are ripening and it has worked this year. Rodents have a sensitive sense of smell and seem to really dislike the strong smell. You just have to watch out for drip if it rains. I spray the cologne on the patio and cemented areas around my Dragonfruit vines.

The Ratzapper also works extremely well.

Simon

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
I have tried most of the above except not the bags yet.

The hopping species of rodents enter my medium size metal cages from harbor freight quite frequently. I have found a few long tail species expired around the yard but none in my metal cages. Unfortunately none of the ordinary species of rats were found in the cages, However, many have eaten their way to death and been observed on the posted no trespassing property. Rodents beware...

Another product I've used is buried in the last stanza of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOjCPXtlBac  in this case sung by Linda Ronstadt
Just substitue the word LOOK with BITE..... ;)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
HOw about moth balls ?  do they repels them?  I'm going to dollar store today to see if they carry moth balls.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Get "Just One Bite II" rat poison and fill a couple of bait stations with them every couple of months. That's the only thing that works for me here. Otherwise, the rats -- which tend to look more like bunny rabbits here -- explode in population with all of the fruit that they have access to.
Jeff  :-)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Get "Just One Bite II" rat poison and fill a couple of bait stations with them every couple of months. That's the only thing that works for me here. Otherwise, the rats -- which tend to look more like bunny rabbits here -- explode in population with all of the fruit that they have access to.

Jeff, can't do that I got two pooches to worry about....rats love ST

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Sigh, I wonder if the Polyethylene (PE) bags on ebay offer slightly better protection? Double bag?
What about reusing the small red mesh bags that grocery stores use to pack some fruits / produce?

Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
at this rate I'll have zero mangos in two weeks. mango casualty 9

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
I've never seen a dog small enough to fit inside of a bait station :-)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V6TLJI

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
A rat can chew through pretty much anything. They are easy to take care of, though. Rat poison plus a bate station will knock down the population pretty quickly.

Sigh, I wonder if the Polyethylene (PE) bags on ebay offer slightly better protection? Double bag?
What about reusing the small red mesh bags that grocery stores use to pack some fruits / produce?

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
I had varmints attack my ripening station 2 nights in a row, removed all the mangoes and put out Tomcat rat poison for 2 nights, plus I baited 3 stations in the yard, I knocked back the population as my ripening station has been critter free for 4 weeks and counting.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile

LOL! they won't fit inside but they will chew it up if they get a hold of it

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
I have not tried this 5 gallon bucket solution. It looks pretty good and it can be left dry for common mice for those wanting to play with them or drive them up to the arctic circle to be safely released. It can also be filled half way to the top with water for larger varieties if quick morning burial is desired. I am soon to experiment with it and I like the idea of it being safer for preventing other animals from eating the dead.

But I do have no trespassing warnings on the property; Rodents beware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDuvxIVPUbw

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
:-)

LOL! they won't fit inside but they will chew it up if they get a hold of it

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Mango manguer, DEAD!
After eating 12 mango, found 3 eaten mangos this AM, descended into hell by way of the electric box,good riddance!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk