Author Topic: Flying Fox Fruits Nursery  (Read 282853 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Of course, wishing you well and great success.  I was wondering what attracted you to the flying fox as a name/logo of your business.  Very non-Floridianish.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I am interested in Pitangatuba, is air layer manageable Adam for the pitangatuba?

Annonaddict!

great idea...I will put some airlayers on my starcherries (pitangatuba) ASAP...It should be able to root via airlayer, but I've never tried.

if it does work, they still wouldnt be ready until spring.

i will let you know when Ive put some airlayers on my trees...I'll also try to post some pic.

Harry,

I chose the grey headed flying fox proper as the supporter of my great seal, mainly because it's a voracious consumer of fruits (capable of delivering fruit seeds via air mail so to speak)...although it's not a floridian symbol, it's one of a real fruit addict!  An animal that lives breathes and eats nothing but tropical fruit!

thanks once again to the kind forum members who have expressed their support for my new nursery!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
I wish all the luck Adam! I am certain you will be very successful. You have a knack for knowing what fruits will be popular and in demand in the future.

Tomas

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Good luck Adam! You will do great! Mike

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Congrats Adam !

Will place a nice order shortly , I will pick up ;)..

Ed..
Zone 10

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Congrats again Adam!  Please set aside for me one of everything for when you get certified to ship to CA.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Well done Adam I wish you full success!
Mike

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I am interested in Pitangatuba, is air layer manageable Adam for the pitangatuba?

Annonaddict!

great idea...I will put some airlayers on my starcherries (pitangatuba) ASAP...It should be able to root via airlayer, but I've never tried.

if it does work, they still wouldnt be ready until spring.

i will let you know when Ive put some airlayers on my trees...I'll also try to post some pic.

Harry,

I chose the grey headed flying fox proper as the supporter of my great seal, mainly because it's a voracious consumer of fruits (capable of delivering fruit seeds via air mail so to speak)...although it's not a floridian symbol, it's one of a real fruit addict!  An animal that lives breathes and eats nothing but tropical fruit!

thanks once again to the kind forum members who have expressed their support for my new nursery!!
Thanks Adam, that's awesome, count on me to order if they root successfully! Awesome mascot, It's a really cool animal.
BTW: How much would the cost be for two Pitangatuba air layers without shipping?
Jackson

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Its about time, all those wonderful things you have been working with over the years! Good luck my friend!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Thanks Adam, that's awesome, count on me to order if they root successfully! Awesome mascot, It's a really cool animal.
BTW: How much would the cost be for two Pitangatuba air layers without shipping?

without shipping it would be about $16-$20 for a pair.  Shipping via UPS next day air is very cheap, I can offer very large discounts...it would only cost about $15 to ship to CA.  (but prices are subject to increase, they always do slowly)

I'm excited to try some airlayers.  I will make about 20...and I'll try to post pics.

You know the pitangatuba (Starcherry) is variable, in size, shape, productivity, and flavor.  The flavor differences have been subtle so far, but the shapes have been different (some long, some fat, some small), and the productivity has been different...some are just heavy producers.

Of course I will only propagate the best types.  (I have some large plants that flower all the time, and won't even set one fruit)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Congratulations Adam, this is great news! We are all wishing you success in this new endeavor. Add me to the list of those who cannot wait until you can ship plants to CA. In the meantime I need to find out what Eugenia/Myrcaria seeds you have available.

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile

without shipping it would be about $16-$20 for a pair.  Shipping via UPS next day air is very cheap, I can offer very large discounts...it would only cost about $15 to ship to CA.  (but prices are subject to increase, they always do slowly)

I'm excited to try some airlayers.  I will make about 20...and I'll try to post pics.

You know the pitangatuba (Starcherry) is variable, in size, shape, productivity, and flavor.  The flavor differences have been subtle so far, but the shapes have been different (some long, some fat, some small), and the productivity has been different...some are just heavy producers.

Of course I will only propagate the best types.  (I have some large plants that flower all the time, and won't even set one fruit)
Thanks Adam, I really appreciate it.
Jackson

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Hey Adam, looks like you've reached Stage II of plant addiction, where you have to start a nursery to justify all the excess plants you have sitting around.  ;) Great you took the leap. Wishing you the best on your business venture! I'm sure you'll do great.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I am sure everyone will give a flying fox about it all.Now that you are a keystone disperser Saff make sure you don't carry lyssa and Hendra.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best wishes for a fruitful future!

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Congratulations Adam...:)

Wishing you and your business much success!
Good luck on this new adventure...  8)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Thanks once again to all of the forum members who've shown their support!

I'm so thankful to know all of you, and to have this wonderful forum!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Thanks once again to all of the forum members who've shown their support!

I'm so thankful to know all of you, and to have this wonderful forum!
If the forum could talk it would say "THanks for all the users on here, and to have this wonderful Adam!"
Jackson

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
My apologies to the buyers who've contacted me from CA, TX, and AZ...

it turns out that I can't ship airlayers to your state....I was confused by Louisiana's laws, which actually allow for airlayers to be sent.

I wish CA, TX, and AZ could adopt this law....

sorry I can't ship to those states (besides Lucky Louisiana)

here is the law that confused me (somehow I thought it applied to the other states that are regulated...wishful thinking.)

"MATERIALS REGULATED:  Soil, sand and plant parts produced below soil level except: soil free aquatic plants, air plants grown in soil free media, air layered plants root wrapped in original soil free moss, dormant bulbs and corms if free from roots and soil, soil free edible fleshy roots, corms, tubers and rhizomes, and industrial sand and clay."

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
My apologies to the buyers who've contacted me from CA, TX, and AZ...

it turns out that I can't ship airlayers to your state....I was confused by Louisiana's laws, which actually allow for airlayers to be sent.

I wish CA, TX, and AZ could adopt this law....

sorry I can't ship to those states (besides Lucky Louisiana)

here is the law that confused me (somehow I thought it applied to the other states that are regulated...wishful thinking.)

"MATERIALS REGULATED:  Soil, sand and plant parts produced below soil level except: soil free aquatic plants, air plants grown in soil free media, air layered plants root wrapped in original soil free moss, dormant bulbs and corms if free from roots and soil, soil free edible fleshy roots, corms, tubers and rhizomes, and industrial sand and clay."

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Oh well, I better become a better grafter real quick!
Jackson

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Congrats, Adam. Look forward to ordering from you this spring. Site looks good!
Keith

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Adao, which pouteria scions could you currently sell?

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Great job Adam, congrats and may God bless you in your future goals. :)
Adiel

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Adao, which pouteria scions could you currently sell?
Felipe,

right now I would be limited to Ross sapote, "whitman" green sapote, and Oro canistel,

In the future I should be able to get some Fairchild #2 scions...although it wouldn't be from my tree (I don't even have one yet, but I know several people who do) ,and I will have access to most of the mamey varieties from Zill...but need to take the trip down there to get them.

I have "caribou" abiu, and "harvest moon" abiu....but I'm not sure how to send scions long distances without removing the foliage, and wrapping with paraflim (buddytape).  I wonder if I can send scions with foliage somehow?

Also I can try to  hunt down anything you maybe looking for...I have lots of friends in FL.

(in the next year or two, I'd like to be able to offer some P. coelomatica scions, but my tree grows so slow it's ridiculous)

Please let me know if I can help you out!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Adam, you may want to check with your Ag Inspector to see if indoor & hydroponically grown plants (free of soil, not exposed to pests) would qualify for shipping to CA... may be worth pursuing for your CA customers.