Author Topic: Perennial peanut ground over for mango trees  (Read 1463 times)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Perennial peanut ground over for mango trees
« on: April 23, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »
I bought a few perennial peanuts from Pete @ greendreams to plant as ground covers for my mangoes and other sub-tropicals. Is it ok to plant them next to mangoes within the same brim, or they should be planted a few feet away from the tree?

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Perennial peanut ground over for mango trees
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:38 AM »
Hi JC, hard to say without seeing your trees, you know that they are not a shade plant. maybe look at them like you would a bush bean if you can relate to them that way would a bush been grow there? but I would start at the drip line and work in from there. did you get seeds or plants?          Regards    Patrick
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:42:16 AM by buddy roo »

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 11:08:56 AM »
Hey Patrick, my mangoes aren’t that big yet, CAC was planted in 9/18 from a 3 gal pot, and grafted ST and DF in the back was planted in 11/19. Perineal peanuts are in 1 gal pots. My plan is to cover the sloped area with the perineal and remove the landscape fabric as it fills in. I was wondering if it would compete with mangoes  for nutrients if I plant it inside the 6”  lawn edges  of each mango (there is a LZ east of the Jabo not pictured). I would be fertilizing the trees through Chemigation and granular fertilizers regularly.

Edit: Dwarf Hawaiian

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:11:21 AM by hawkfish007 »

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 01:31:30 PM »
I've seen p.peanut planted right up within a few feet of adult sized mango trees at some mango farms on Pine Island. 

They are not going to pull nutrients from the trees, they will fix the nitrogen currently in the soil and make it available to your mango trees.

The shade loving types grow taller and the sun loving types finish much shorter in height.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:35:34 PM »
That’s very good to know. I believe the one I bought is sun loving variety (Arachis glabrata) and should stay around 6” without much pruning effort. I will planting them soon.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 08:24:27 PM »
It would depend on the size of the tree. This plant enjoys sun so if you plant it in full shade it may not thrive. I would plant  near the drip line (outer edge of foliage) a few feet from the trunk on very smaall trees. I see he is shipping the stoloniferous 'Golden Glory' variety. That one enjoys grwing on mulch and once it gets growing you can semi-annually spinkle more mulch on top leaving some green peeking through. This helps the stolons get rooted down better. The stoloniferous type doesn't fix as much nitrogen as the rhizomal and can benefit from fertilizer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:27:03 PM by pineislander »

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »
Planted four or five small perennial peanut plants last year, they get  mostly morning sun up till  around 1 pm.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 01:42:28 AM »
Planted four or five small perennial peanut plants last year, they get  mostly morning sun up till  around 1 pm.

Looks nice, I am glad you posted some pictures. At my place, trees right of Jabo get full day sun, and trees on the left get sun till about 2 -3 pm. I will go ahead and plant those now that I have seen how they will look in real life.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 08:55:08 AM »
It would depend on the size of the tree. This plant enjoys sun so if you plant it in full shade it may not thrive. I would plant  near the drip line (outer edge of foliage) a few feet from the trunk on very smaall trees. I see he is shipping the stoloniferous 'Golden Glory' variety. That one enjoys grwing on mulch and once it gets growing you can semi-annually spinkle more mulch on top leaving some green peeking through. This helps the stolons get rooted down better. The stoloniferous type doesn't fix as much nitrogen as the rhizomal and can benefit from fertilizer.
I found this to be true also.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk