Author Topic: Tree ID... ¿Blepharocalyx salicifolius?  (Read 1325 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Tree ID... ¿Blepharocalyx salicifolius?
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »
Hi all. I had placed an order with Vitor in Brazil last year to get, among other things, Blepharocalyx salicifolius. Most arrived sprouted but quite weak (due to the long journey), but it hadn't occurred to me to bag them back then, and I lost them. Eventually, though, a proper little seedling sprouted in their pot, and I was confident that it was the same species... The cotyledons had a similar shape to the seeds I had seen in their bag. Now, however, I'm not so sure. I don't have any experience with this species, can anyone tell me if this sapling really is Blepharocalyx salicifolius?

While I'm at it, does anyone have any experience with this species? I was told the leaves were great as a tea, and that the little cherries were good, but not much detail.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
Re: Tree ID... ¿Blepharocalyx salicifolius?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 03:02:43 AM »
That doesn’t look like Blepharocalyx Salicifolius to me. I have some seedlings, also from Vitor, they have much smaller leaves. I’ll post a picture this week. The leaves do smell very nice, but I haven’t had it fruit yet.

I have no idea as to what your plant might be, but I would say definitely not Blepharocalyx Salicifolius.

Anyone else any suggestions?

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 03:56:16 AM »
I also have Blepharocalyx salicifolius from Vitor but mine looks very different. Like Solko, mine has small fragrant leaves. I think your seeds got mixed up.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »
I was afraid of that. Guess I'll have to get more when I get the chance. Vitor actually has a lot of great stuff, but I don't have enough cash at the moment to account for the new shipping rates. Seems like Brazil's legal system has gone a little crazy with the matter of plant shipping.

My plant actually had tiny leaves when it was small, but a few months ago it had a growth spurt and sprouted some huge pairs of leaves that wouldn't be out of place on a mango. Then, a few weeks ago, it sprouted these triple leaves. I haven't crushed any in-hand, but they certainly don't seem aromatic. It vaguely reminded me of a random weed I had seen recently, so if it's not Blepharocalyx, then it's probably a local weed that took their place in the empty pot. Not likely from Vitor's end.

Did your seedlings have notched cotyledons and a notched seed? Mine had notched seeds in-bag, which is why I thought I had the right one: notched cotyledons to match. Here's some pics of the early seedling:

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »

These are my Blepharocalyx. They look totally different, I have no idea what your plant might be.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »
As it turns out, it was a weed. I saw an identical plant on the roadside the other day. I'm quite disappointed, I was really looking forward to making tea and tasting the fruit. Oh well. What's the aroma like on your plants?

Here's the weed: