Author Topic: New Zealand Feijoa varieties (pineapple guava)  (Read 1141 times)

NickTheNZgrower

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
New Zealand Feijoa varieties (pineapple guava)
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:21:05 PM »
I thought there might be interest in some of the pineapple guava varieties being distributed in New Zealand. Unfortunately, we have such strict exporting and importing laws regarding plant material that I can't send anything overseas, sorry about that! This is more about an interesting read/look at what is growing here and also a couple of successful grafts I did to a seedling and existing tree I have.

Oh and also a cherimoya variety developed here called "Rex". It is a beautiful smooth fruit with no grit, medium to low seed count and an unbelievable lemon cheesecake flavour, with tropical notes. Very delicious. The fruit size is also medium to large.

I made a photo gallery so you can see all pics in one place :)

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ztye4t34/

Nick

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
Re: New Zealand Feijoa varieties (pineapple guava)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 05:14:01 AM »
These new selections look very interesting, Nick. How large is the ripening window between early and late varieties in your experience? The earliest variety we have here in Europe is Nikita and since I am quite far north in Europe and we have a short summer season, I am always on the lookout for new really early varieties that might be able to ripen well in our climate. Is it also difficult to receive and send seeds abroad? Otherwise I would be interested in trading seeds.
Thanks for posting and good growing!

NickTheNZgrower

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 05:55:27 AM »
Yes, indeed :) New Zealander's have bred a lot of good varieties.

The earliest I've seen to ripen are in mid to late March (march is the first month of autumn here). Latest to ripen I've seen are late June to late July. Pretty big season with all the different varieties :)

Seeds are possible to send overseas. What do you grow that might be interesting?

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
That is pretty impressive. I’ll send you a pm with some seeds I can exchange with you. I’d love to try growing out some seeds of these new varieties in our climate.