Author Topic: Help! Australian Finger Lime leaves on tips falling off  (Read 2303 times)

CyndiUN

• SoCal
    • View Profile
Help! Australian Finger Lime leaves on tips falling off
« on: June 22, 2019, 07:50:01 PM »
I bought a Australian Finger Lime tree 3 months ago and am concerned that the tip leaves have fallen off.
One of the Finger Lime Post does say to keep the tree in soft light so that would mean under shade?
Maybe a change of location would be helpful?
Under shade with morning or afternoon sun?
I live in So Cal and temps will be getting hot soon.
Since it took me a while to find this tree, don't want to lose it.

I ordered red finger lime budwood from CA Citrus Research and not sure I will be successful with grafting the triangular pieces to a lime branch.

Any advice about rooting the bud wood itself would be appreciated.
I read that Finger Lime is a slow grower so how or when will I know if I was successful?

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Australian Finger Lime leaves on tips falling off
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
It may very well be a lighting issue.  I find these trees to be a little sensitive to fertilizer also.  Mine is planted in full sun, but is in the ground and is two years old.  It has put on so much new flush this year, that you can hardly see any older leaves.

TFN

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
My Finger Lime has been growing in full sun (summer/winter/fall) from its beginning.  It is a container tree, growing in a 15-gallon container.   I fertilize it with a 25-5-15 fertilizer (5-1-3 nutrient ratio) every third watering.  the tree is now 5 years old.  Seeing a picture of your tree, would be very helpful in making a diagnosis of its problem,

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 10:22:39 PM »
My finger lime is in a container also and it has always had random twigs defiate and die back.  I could never identify why.  The leaves dont show discoloration the same way other citrus do.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 01:33:14 AM »
My finger lime is an in ground tree, growing in full sun. I also get randome twig die-off, nothing severe. The tree is seven foot tall and healthy, I think it’s just the nature of the finger lime. I just remove any dead wood.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 12:53:43 PM »
It may very well be a lighting issue.  I find these trees to be a little sensitive to fertilizer also.  Mine is planted in full sun, but is in the ground and is two years old.  It has put on so much new flush this year, that you can hardly see any older leaves.

TFN

You have one planted in ground on zone 8a? How did it do through your last two winters?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »
It could be a watering issue. Aussie citrus is adapted to desert type conditions.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 02:54:21 PM »
You have one planted in ground on zone 8a? How did it do through your last two winters?

It fared pretty well.  It is planted on south side, fairly close to the house.  I also put up temporary frames with frost cloth on the coldest nights.  It's 2 years in ground, has several fruits sizing up and blooming like crazy again.

TFN

BPelkey

• Duck Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 07:48:22 PM »
I am growing 1 red and 1 green finger lime plants in a large planter.  Although they are growing the leaves are pale and yellowish.  Any suggestions on possible nutrient deficiencies that could be the cause?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:02:31 PM »
Looks like a magnesium deficiency.  To correct a magnesium deficiency.  Dissolve 4-oz. of Epsom salts dissolved in one gallon of WARM water  and apply as a foliar spray.  Do not apply at high temperatures or low humidity, apply in the morning or late afternoon.  Epsom Salts is 9.8 % Mg and 12.9% sulfur.

BPelkey

• Duck Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »
Thank you, Millet.  I will try your suggestion.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »
In my experiencie they are prone to lose leaves in container when they get neglected and too dry. Put it in soil (if your climate is right) and the problem will probably end. If not,check for die-back in too soggy soils

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »

TFN
Do they grow in the ground in zone 8a? I thought they were zone 10+ plants.
My name is Cindy

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
When a citrus leaf turns yellow do to a magnesium deficiency, they do not always regain their full green coloration depending on the severity of the deficiency, however all new growth does color up again.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
My name is Cindy