Author Topic: The forgotten, dissed and waylaid Edward Mango . . .  (Read 12301 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: The forgotten, dissed and waylaid Edward Mango . . .
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:59 PM »
Anyone throwing the Edward into the Elite Mango Tier?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »

Absolutely I would throw late Duncan in there it outclass most of these new varieties in taste and production.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »
Very interesting. Keep us posted on that one.

Jeff - I'm glad you mentioned rootstock influence. 

I have always wondered a bit about how the rootstock may influence the grafted variety.  How consistent are the rootstocks anyway?  And how much do/can they affect fruit quality, production, growth habit, etc?

I have a 3 year old Coconut Cream planted directly adjacent to a young/tebow which I topworked with wood from the coconut cream just after planting.  Both trees receive the same sun/water/soil/nutritionals, etc. Both trees are the same size.   The trees are overall very similar, with one differing (at this point) characteristic- the topworked tree has a much stronger fruit set.  I wonder if the grafted CC is somehow affected by the intergrafted Young.  I am quite curious about how the end product will differ- if at all.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »
r u kidding me? Edward is a phenomenal mango. And, when it produces in march (as it does in some years), those early mangoes are the best darn mangoes in the universe at that point in the season.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »
Jeff - I'm glad you mentioned rootstock influence. 

I have always wondered a bit about how the rootstock may influence the grafted variety.  How consistent are the rootstocks anyway?  And how much do/can they affect fruit quality, production, growth habit, etc?

I have a 3 year old Coconut Cream planted directly adjacent to a young/tebow which I topworked with wood from the coconut cream just after planting.  Both trees receive the same sun/water/soil/nutritionals, etc. Both trees are the same size.   The trees are overall very similar, with one differing (at this point) characteristic- the topworked tree has a much stronger fruit set.  I wonder if the grafted CC is somehow affected by the intergrafted Young.  I am quite curious about how the end product will differ- if at all.

Clint - how old is the Young tree  and how long has it been in the ground?
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
Wow....very interesting.   CC is one of my favorite mangoes.  I rated it as a perfect 10 last year!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »
I enjoy an Edward as much as the next guy, especially in the early season but elite tier?  I just don't see it measure up to some of the newer Zills varieties that are something that I would imagine growing in Willy Wonkas mango grove.  When one says "elite" I imagine the best of the best and, although Edward is very enjoyable, possibly even great, it isn't elite in my books.  That being said, I am the first man in my car en route to Squam to get those Edwards when they become up for grabs.  Elite or not, they are damn good.
George

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
Now that you put it that way, I guess you have a point. It's a 5 star mango but maybe a smidgen behind something like a Sweet Tart.

I enjoy an Edward as much as the next guy, especially in the early season but elite tier?  I just don't see it measure up to some of the newer Zills varieties that are something that I would imagine growing in Willy Wonkas mango grove.  When one says "elite" I imagine the best of the best and, although Edward is very enjoyable, possibly even great, it isn't elite in my books.  That being said, I am the first man in my car en route to Squam to get those Edwards when they become up for grabs.  Elite or not, they are damn good.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »
Now that you put it that way, I guess you have a point. It's a 5 star mango but maybe a smidgen behind something like a Sweet Tart.

Is it just a sweet Mango like say a Nam Doc mai? or  does it have a nice acidic balance to it?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »

balance

Is it just a sweet Mango like say a Nam Doc mai? or  does it have a nice acidic balance to it?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
No real acidic balance to a properly picked/ripened Edward.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Perfect balance. Unless you're like Rob and wait for it to get overripe.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »
PS I was told by a friend that when Dr Richard Campbell was asked what his favorite mango was, he responded with Edward. If you don't like edward then there's something rong with u :-).

I think dr crane likes it too :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0f3pVP2is
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:10:16 PM by Cookie Monster »

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 02:11:50 PM »
Dr. Campbell is a wise man! 😎

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »
My wife and I attended the last Fairchild Mango Festival. During his presentation Dr. Richard Campbell was asked by an audience member what his favorite mango was. At first he was reluctant, but with some prodding did admit he was an Edward man. He went further to describe it as "an adult mango" and enjoying an Edward is "an adult moment". Jokingly he described how he would get in his pick-up, drive out to where he would be undisturbed (no kids allowed) to enjoy the experience.

Dr. Campbell also described how his 80 year old mother would sit on the porch in her wheelchair, when an Edward Mango would fall she was the first in the yard to grab it. In fact there were occasions when he would have to separate his mother from his kids as they wrestled for the fallen fruit. "An Edward is one of the few mangoes that can put one generation against another."

Words barely out of his mouth I turned around to look for my wife, she was no where to be found. Eventually I caught up with her smacking on a bare seed and extolling the sweet, complex flavored virtues of the Edward. She is still raving about it. A few weeks ago my neighbor, about four houses away, comes by and obliviously announces in earshot of my wife, that the Edward he planted late last year is flowering. The look she gave me....Anyways Edward is that kind of mango. Need I say more........

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »
My wife and I attended the last Fairchild Mango Festival. During his presentation Dr. Richard Campbell was asked by an audience member what his favorite mango was. At first he was reluctant, but with some prodding did admit he was an Edward man. He went further to describe it as "an adult mango" and enjoying an Edward is "an adult moment". Jokingly he described how he would get in his pick-up, drive out to where he would be undisturbed (no kids allowed) to enjoy the experience.

Dr. Campbell also described how his 80 year old mother would sit on the porch in her wheelchair, when an Edward Mango would fall she was the first in the yard to grab it. In fact there were occasions when he would have to separate his mother from his kids as they wrestled for the fallen fruit. "An Edward is one of the few mangoes that can put one generation against another."

Words barely out of his mouth I turned around to look for my wife, she was no where to be found. Eventually I caught up with her smacking on a bare seed and extolling the sweet, complex flavored virtues of the Edward. She is still raving about it. A few weeks ago my neighbor, about four houses away, comes by and obliviously announces in earshot of my wife, that the Edward he planted late last year is flowering. The look she gave me....Anyways Edward is that kind of mango. Need I say more........

I'll never doubt my choice again for giving Edward such prime real estate on my Property!

Thank you for that.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »
Jeff - will do.

Rob- iirc, the young was in the ground 1 year before the CC.  Could be 2 years as I haven't kept close records on planting dates.  Trunk size/height/overall mass is equal.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »

Or like Jeff who enjoys their mangoes chalky and tart...oh wait, that would be underrripe.   ;) :P

- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 08:30:44 PM »
HAHAHA Dr Campbell is one of the best lecturers out there. Always has something humorous to say.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
:D

Or like Jeff who enjoys their mangoes chalky and tart...oh wait, that would be underrripe.   ;) :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk