Author Topic: Healthy jackfruit getting a few yellow leaves  (Read 4364 times)

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
Healthy jackfruit getting a few yellow leaves
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:40:03 PM »
Hi! I planted a jackfruit (about 4 months ago) that has since taken off and is doing very well. I noticed in between the healthy looking green leaves there are a few yellowing leaves. I typically don't water more than once a week (and not at all if there is rain), so I can't imagine that I would be overwatering. I used happy frog soil when planting in the ground, which I've had a lot of success with when planting my other trees. I'm wondering if it is normal for a jackfruit tree to have yellow leaves occasionally, especially in the winter? I thought about spraying the leaves with liquid seaweed but I figured I would ask before I do anything. Regarding my plant hardiness zone, i'm in Merritt Island (officially 9b but more like 10a) and we've had a couple of nights where it did get down into the mid 40's for a couple of hours. Here's a picture of some of the leaves:

Any thoughts on what could cause this and what I can do to help it? I should also mention I do have a dog so it's possible the dog urinated next to it.

Thanks guys!

Will

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy jackfruit getting a few yellow leaves
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:05 PM »
Jackfruits and many other artocapus species have high turnover rate. The ground under my trees is absolutely littered with fallen leaves that start to yellow first. This is normal, nothing to worry about.
The tree is very hardy, once a week watering maybe too much, especially since cool weather in FL. In India they grow wild in some places with 8 months long dry season.

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »
Jackfruits and many other artocapus species have high turnover rate. The ground under my trees is absolutely littered with fallen leaves that start to yellow first. This is normal, nothing to worry about.
The tree is very hardy, once a week watering maybe too much, especially since cool weather in FL. In India they grow wild in some places with 8 months long dry season.

Great to know! Thanks for the information. I'll cut the watering back to maybe once every two weeks depending on rain.

Regards,

Will

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:45 PM »
I live in rockledge just on the other side of the river from you and boast a golden nugget jackfruit about 4 moths ago from that nursery by the airport. I repotted it immediately from a 3gallon pot since it was about 4foot tall. I forgot to water it for about 10days a couple months ago when it was hot. Same thing happened to me. It it was under watering not over, all leave dropped and were yellow. It came back strong. I did plant it in a pot so I could bring it inside until our winter is over because you never know when we might get some weird 30F night out of the blue. I’ll plant it once spring hits so it has a better chance to mature more for next winter.

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
I live in rockledge just on the other side of the river from you and boast a golden nugget jackfruit about 4 moths ago from that nursery by the airport. I repotted it immediately from a 3gallon pot since it was about 4foot tall. I forgot to water it for about 10days a couple months ago when it was hot. Same thing happened to me. It it was under watering not over, all leave dropped and were yellow. It came back strong. I did plant it in a pot so I could bring it inside until our winter is over because you never know when we might get some weird 30F night out of the blue. I’ll plant it once spring hits so it has a better chance to mature more for next winter.

Hi @Cythompson159@yahoo.com! Great to hear someone else is also growing a jack fruit in our area. I did give the tree some water and it seems to be doing fine. One thing I found very interesting is that the leaves that turned yellow seem to follow a pattern. It's always at the base of the branch and appears to be symmetric around the tree. I was concerned because I tried growing a jackfruit last year and it declined since the moment I put it in the ground. On the contrary, this tree grew when I planted it and seemed to thrive in this location. My guess is that the winter months are simply stunting growth since we don't have as much light in a day and it probably needed a little water. I'll continue to monitor and post if anything changes. Good luck with your tree!

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:51:06 AM »
Good luck also. I’ll keep you posted if anything I trusting happens. I know we are pushing it a little growing it here.

Kelly

• San Diego California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »
Hi,
I need help please. I live in San Diego, CA and grew my jackfruit tree from a seed since 7/2020. It was fine until two months ago when it gets cold at night and the leaves began to turn yellow like in the picture. I lost two leaves already. What can I do, please?  I have been putting the jackfruit tree inside the house as soon as the sun sets and carry it outside during the day.