Author Topic: What does pawpaw taste like?  (Read 21437 times)

plantrant

• texas
    • View Profile
Re: What does pawpaw taste like?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »
I regret that baby paw paw plants do not have the same tenacity as baby mulberry plants. The roots are under engineered for going that gets tough. For those wanting to become paw paw people, I prefer 2 ways to begin instead of the common practice of having expensive baby plants with baby roots shipped in from a zillion miles away. One way is to visit mom and pop, small, independent nurseries and ask the owner if any of their wholesale nursery suppliers list potted paw paw seedlings for sale that are several feet tall. I would order some regardless whether they are unknown variety seedlings or not. BIGGER is BETTER and commonly cheaper than the (very small) super duper variety grafted plants. You can get the larger potted seedlings to start growing in a deep/wide raised bed of rich, organic soil that can later be widened further as the plant grows. If your soil is rocky/desert sand/clay/moon surface/inhospitable, think DEEP on the raised bed. When the paw paw tap root grows downward and collides with some kind of 'moon surface', it lacks the ability to drill-baby-drill, so lateral root growth will be the plant's focus. The seedlings can be cleft grafted later on the central leader to become whatever variety you want. The second way that I prefer is to order a bag of seeds from a known, choice variety and plant them in very deep pots filled with loose, organic soil mix from which they can later be gently removed and planted in the aforementioned deep raised bed. I would wait on the choice variety seedlings to mature to see what kind of fruit they end up producing. If not so special, cleft graft the central leader with what you want to try next. In summary, baby paw paw plants growing in laboratory conditions with 24/7 care by very experienced mass growers can be so healthy looking, but when they get kicked out of house and home and get resettled in a much less accommodating situation, many struggle big time, and many never make it.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
I would not recommend buying large potted pawpaw trees unless you plan to keep it in a pot forever. When you plant a pawpaw seed it will send down a 10 to 12 inch long tap root before the seedling emerges. So if you buy a 12 inch tall plant it could have 3 feet of tap root circled in the bottom of the container. This is practically impossible to straighten out. If you cut it most times the plant will die or take many years to recover. When you order those field dug bareroot plants they will send you an 18 inch to 24 inch tall plant with 5 or 6 inches of roots. That plant is basically dead on arrival or will die slowly for you. So you need to try to purchase the smallest plants in the tallest container or plants that have been grown in a root pruning type pot for the greatest chance at success. Or direct plant seeds in permanent location.

Just my experience.

Ed

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »
Also by the way I wished folks would stop passing on the misinformation about having to have 2 plants for pollination. I have grown one variety only for several years and it produces fruit. The information about having 2 plants has been passed on by nurseries who have never even fruited a pawpaw plant they are just copying and pasting information. The pawpaw flower goes through a male and female stage and the pollen is not attractive to bees. It could be helpful to have several varieties but not necessary. I initially collected several varieties and found out it was bullshit when they didn't all bloom at the same time and still produced fruit.

Again just my experience.

Ed

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »
Ed,  I have seen many lone trees in the wild that fruited just fine on their own with no other trees in the vicinity.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:43:01 PM by Bob407 »
Life is good

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
Yep me to Bob. Thanks for sharing your observation.

Ed

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »
Thanks Ed for clarifying the pollination confusion. I think you posted the same thing on another forum before and had instructions on how to pollinate the flower yourself. We don't have experience with it and appreciate your knowledge.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »
Also by the way I wished folks would stop passing on the misinformation about having to have 2 plants for pollination. I have grown one variety only for several years and it produces fruit. The information about having 2 plants has been passed on by nurseries who have never even fruited a pawpaw plant they are just copying and pasting information. The pawpaw flower goes through a male and female stage and the pollen is not attractive to bees. It could be helpful to have several varieties but not necessary. I initially collected several varieties and found out it was bullshit when they didn't all bloom at the same time and still produced fruit.

Ed

I'm no expert, don't own a  single tree ether, but Kentucky State University's Paw PawResearch states that the Paw Paw requires polination from a genetically different Tree and I believe other Universities states the same in their own Scientifical research . "Peterson Paw Paws" who also has 6 patented varieties of his own that are widely distributed also states their is no scientific evidence that a Paw Paw can self Polinate... I'm grabbing 4 trees no matter what, but from the mass research and claims from growers across the web....the general consensus is you need 2 trees and it would probably be wise to grab more than one or graft multiple varieties on a tree if possible.

Maybe it applies to certain varieties only?

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm

http://www.petersonpawpaws.com/FAQ.php
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:51:39 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »

Ed

I'm no expert, don't own a  single tree ether, but Kentucky State University's Paw PawResearch states that the Paw Paw requires polination from a genetically different Tree and I believe other Universities states the same in their own Scientifical research . "Peterson Paw Paws" who also has 6 patented varieties of his own that are widely distributed also states their is no scientific evidence that a Paw Paw can self Polinate... I'm grabbing 4 trees no matter what, but from the mass research and claims from growers across the web....the general consensus is you need 2 trees and it would probably be wise to grab more than one or graft multiple varieties on a tree if possible.

And many UF/IFAS publications are inaccurate.  Just cause it is published by a University does not make it the be all to end all truth.
- Rob

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 02:57:26 PM »

Ed

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:04:04 PM by edself65 »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
I'm not taking sides on this but I am rolling on the floor laughing at that picture!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 04:02:04 PM »
nothing against people who got a degree...but to be honest...u can't always trust what you are taught by the universities and professors...

much of the info they're relying on is outdated..and the people who write the research papers have no hands on experience with the subject matter they're talking about...

for instance....if you still get your info from Dr. Julia Morton (who is a renowned researcher of tropical fruits), you might have some bad information...although she is one of the best authors on the subject, and one of the most commonly cited....much of her info is antiquated, and flat out wrong....now with the advent of internet and social media, we've been able to get lots of new info since she's passed on.

Ed

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »
Clay, there is a lot of info out there that is not correct in some circumastances. I am sure having a different type around may benefit cross pollination but isn't necessary. I spent a lot of time this past summer in the brush studying these trees at no point did I I come across a professor, degree or classroom. However I did find many single trees fruiting. I also wonder about some stands that I found since these trees are clonal many stands are surely being pollinated by exact replicas of itself, right?
Life is good

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2015, 04:34:36 PM »
Thanks Adam and Bob!

I'm also glad this tree can't surf web and find out it isn't suppose to set fruit. Also the info on the web is the same info that was available to me in the 80s when I started collecting Pawpaws. Another thing I don't sell trees. I have probably given away more Pawpaw trees since the 80s than most nurseries sell.
Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2015, 04:40:02 PM »
nothing against people who got a degree...but to be honest...u can't always trust what you are taught by the universities and professors...

much of the info they're relying on is outdated..and the people who write the research papers have no hands on experience with the subject matter they're talking about...

for instance....if you still get your info from Dr. Julia Morton (who is a renowned researcher of tropical fruits), you might have some bad information...although she is one of the best authors on the subject, and one of the most commonly cited....much of her info is antiquated, and flat out wrong....now with the advent of internet and social media, we've been able to get lots of new info since she's passed on.

Morton is a very good example of incorrect information being passed on for very long time. For example, there are still many people that insist that you can't succesfully grow airlayered rambutans, because Morton says so. It's worse than you think though Adam, because Morton herself was not a grower. She compiled information from past scholarly articles. So if any of those articles had a mistake it tends to be copied ad infinitum.
About paw paw being self pollinating, it makes sense because it's annonaceae family, and what annona needs cross pollination? But yes some annonas need hand pollination.
Oscar

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2015, 04:46:44 PM »
Speaking of pollinating, I am hoping to try to hand-pollinate some wild trees near me this year, since i don't have any of my own.

Any tips welcome
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:39:03 PM by Triloba Tracker »

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
Posting on this post again, wondering if anyone in So Cal has any updates on growth, top tier varieties, and taste.

picture below makes me want to grow it.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »
Interested in growing pawpaw too. wondering if some varieties do better this far south.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk